Sapphire XL speakers and Receiver auto calibration

John B

« on: 11 Mar 2006, 02:49 pm »
My Pioneer Elite receiver comes with an auto calibration software and mic.  Surprising at the price point of this receiver it does one very close job on setting appropriate distances, cutoff frequencies, and speaker sizes.  It also does by my ear a good job at room correction by adjusting equalization of various parameters of each speaker based on what the room is doing.  Up until I got the Sapphires it set everything at small and 80hz.  I had an an all Definintive Technology 7 speaker setup.  When it calibrated with the Sapphires as my mains it changed it's mind and made them large.  I doubted the wisdom of this.  However sure enough with the Sapphires at large and the rest of speakers at small to my ear it sounds more right and dynamic than all set as small.  With the Titan sub I'm a little confused as now that I've got full range mains, what crossover do I set the sub at.   I figured since all bass is now directed to the mains when the mains are receiving bass, I should still keep my crossover on the Titan at 80hz since that's what the other speakers are about.   Sounds about right, but heck, so much of this is guess work without a professional setting you up with professional measuring equipment, but hey we amateurs still do a pretty good job...I hope  :mrgreen:

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2006, 12:44 pm »
John:

Your instincts on setting the Titan crossover are very good. 80hz or perhaps as high as 100hz . . .  I wouldn't go any higher. Maybe try both with auto calibration to see which works out better in your setup.