BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

SHV

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS
« Reply #960 on: 5 Mar 2012, 01:38 pm »
"the operating mode for the BDP-1 as a stand alone player or as the hub of the Squeeze network,"
Not quite sure how you want to use the BDP-1 but it's just a "player" (a very good one) that can be controlled via it's internet connection.  My BDA-1 acts more as a "hub" with IPod dock, squeeze box, Apple TV, and BDP-1 connected to it.

Steve

dpaws

« Reply #961 on: 5 Mar 2012, 07:33 pm »
I'm being greedy, I'd like the best of both worlds. The BDP-1 as a stand alone unit as intended, but also a way that I could include it with my Squeezebox system that's spread throughout the house.

It then crossed my mind that, as all of the music files were attached to the BDP-1 maybe the player could act as a source for all of the other units, in the same way as a Squeezebox Touch does when you plug a USB drive into it....

As far as I'm aware, the software for the Touch is written in Linux and is open source. OK, it would need to be tweaked to remove the screen requirements etc but I'm sure the processor in the BDP-1 is more than capable of handling the interface. With the BDP-1 booting from a flash card, maybe the first option on boot up would be to select the operating mode - ie stand alone or as the squeeze server...

Just a thought...

« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2012, 09:46 am by dpaws »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #962 on: 11 Mar 2012, 03:34 pm »
Hi James

Sent: March-11-12 11:05 AM
To: 'James Tanner'
Subject: RE: Bryston combo

Hi James,

The Bryston BDP-1/BDA-1 combination Bryston is great, well done guys…

I have tested Linn which is a disaster (sonically) and some others (Aentelope – nice) I have now Audionemesis which is nice but too tube like together with Usher R1.2 (tube-like sound) it’s too warm to me.

I’m emailing from Warsaw, Poland.

Regards,
Mateusz

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #963 on: 12 Apr 2012, 04:55 pm »
Sent: April-12-12 10:59 AM
To: jamestanner@bryston.com
Subject: BDA/BDP

Good morning from Florida.

I enjoyed our conversation a couple of days ago regarding my BDA-1 and BDP-1. As I stated I have a Conrad-Johnson CT5 Triode Tube Preamp and two Conrad-Johnson LP125M Vacuum Tube Amps driving my five foot seven inch Martin Logan electrostatic speakers with a B&W 12 inch powered sub-woofer. My CD player is a top end Esoteric. Basically, I have been enjoying Stereophile A-Rated equipment.

My first piece of Bryston equipment was the BDA-1. The first thing I noticed was an increase of musical information I hadn’t noticed even in some of my prior dedicated CD listening. Clock speed and jitter problems were also appropriately resolved. I hate to admit it but the music was so enthralling I stopped analyzing and was listening. This was on music I was accustomed to listening to and had played many times before and used as test CDs because of my familiarity with the content. Some of my better engineered CDs presented a three dimensional sound stage that placed musicians not only left, right and center but fore and aft with a truly realistic musical presentation. Listening with the CD being played using the BDA-1 and the electrostatic Martin Logans was almost scary.  With a slight addition of realism I would have attempted to put my arms around Shannon McNally, to comfort her, as she sang Pale Moon. I tried the BDA-1 in my family room hooked up to my Pioneer receiver Infinity Composition speakers and listened in the stereo mode. This too showed similar improvements. I was glad to see Stereophile give the BDA-1 a class A rating confirming what I already knew. In summation, the BDA-1 is greater than the sum of its parts.

I purchased my BDP-1 after my BDA-1 so I am not as familiar with the BDP-1 as with the BDA-1. I as yet have not integrated my HP laptop with the BDP-1 so I operate it directly from its front controls. (Not a big deal.) I use the AES/EUB to connect the BDP-1 and BDA-1. Downloaded FLAC files go to a desktop computer I built and put the music files on a thumb drive for use in the BDP-1. My minimum FLAC file is twice the size of a CD, that’s double the musical information.

You betcha it sounds good.

Richard Lizak

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #964 on: 23 Apr 2012, 04:33 pm »

Sent: April-23-12 12:04 PM
To: jamestanner@bryston.com
Subject: BDP-1 from Absolute Audio

James,

My new BDP-1 arrived a few weeks ago I have spent some late nights listening to it through my BDA-1.  I’ll skip all the stereo magazine quotes and just say that I am extremely happy to have this in my system.  Both the BDP and BDA are excellent products that you and your team have every right to be proud of.

I also wanted to pass along my experience with your dealer network.  I was on the hunt for new speakers about 3 years ago, and after touring through all the good stores in Calgary I ended up buying from James Davies at Absolute Audio.  I have continued to deal with James for the past 3 years or so because he is very knowledgeable about components (whether he carries them in the store or not), and is clearly passionate about his job.  I also appreciate his honesty in recommending products that fit the bill for my system, and more importantly steering me away from components that don’t.  He was a big factor in choosing the BDA-1 last year, and my decision on the BDP this year.

Regards,
Grant

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #965 on: 27 Apr 2012, 11:14 am »
Sent: April-26-12 10:08 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: New IPAD Interface for Bryston BDP-1 Player

Hi James

Thanks for referring the new MPAD App for the iPad?

I have purchased my second BDP-1. It is an essential source component.

Absolutely a great device.

thanks
Manny

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #966 on: 7 May 2012, 05:47 pm »
Sent: May-07-12 9:40 AM
To: 'James Tanner'
Subject: RE: Bryston BDP-1

The BDP-1 is the best sounding best value best ease of use component in my system!

Nothing short of fantastic!

Steve Bruzonsky
Attorney At Law

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #967 on: 8 May 2012, 11:47 am »
Sent: May-07-12 11:52 PM
Subject: BDP-1

Hi James,

I have had my BDP-1 for five days now and I am very happy with it.

Before the BDP-1 I was using the front usb port of an Oppo BDP-93 to play both redbook material and hi res material through my BDA-1.

With the BDP-1 I am hearing detail on material I know well that I have never heard before. In short, I am a very happy customer.

Thanks,
Chad

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #968 on: 15 May 2012, 04:09 pm »
Hi Folks,

New review on the Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player and BDA-1 DAC.

http://canadahifi.com/index.php/bryston-bdp-1-digital-player-and-bda-1-dac/

james

ronman

« Reply #969 on: 17 May 2012, 07:01 pm »
I have had my BDP-1 and BDA-1 for a few months now. Bought them together. After following this website for a while I placed my order for both components. The local hi-fi retailer wasn't even aware that the blue led version was available. I think I was one of the first in this country (South Africa) to get the newer edition black chassis with the blue leds on both these components, which was apparently especially airfreighted by Bryston for me as none were available in this country. Big big thank you for that Bryston people.
I am not a lazy person but the sheer convenience of having hard drives full of music is nicer than changing cds until you find something that you want to listen to (still wish there was a matching Bryston hard drive enclosure). The sound quality is seriously good. Compared using a Samsung Galaxy tablet vs an iPad as an interface. Both do it respectable job, but the iPad does it with more class. 

Alpha10

« Reply #970 on: 17 May 2012, 07:20 pm »

I think I was one of the first in this country (South Africa) to get the newer edition black chassis with the blue leds on both these components, which was apparently especially airfreighted by Bryston for me as none were available in this country. Big big thank you for that Bryston people.

(still wish there was a matching Bryston hard drive enclosure). 

Congratulation on joining the very select blue LED club  :D we all know they sound better  :peek:

I think a lot of us still hope that James will change his mind on the drive enclosure, especially with the SSDs coming down in price so fast now.
 :deadhorse:

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #971 on: 17 May 2012, 07:48 pm »

Congratulation on joining the very select blue LED club  :D we all know they sound better  :peek:

I think a lot of us still hope that James will change his mind on the drive enclosure, especially with the SSDs coming down in price so fast now.
 :deadhorse:

Cheers

What are the SSD prices over there?

james

Alpha10

« Reply #972 on: 17 May 2012, 08:09 pm »
What are the SSD prices over there?

james

256GB are down to about £150-£160 (GBP) shopping around, so we are closing in on 2GB per £1 (GBP), the last couple of weeks they have dropped significantly and are still going. So getting well within range now for me.

Cheers

NMG

« Reply #973 on: 17 May 2012, 08:16 pm »
James,

For use with the BDP-1, is there any audible advantage to using an SSD over a typical HDD? I certainly cannot hear my HDD. Thanks.

Neal

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #974 on: 17 May 2012, 10:05 pm »
James,

For use with the BDP-1, is there any audible advantage to using an SSD over a typical HDD? I certainly cannot hear my HDD. Thanks.

Neal

Hi Neal,

Yes I find even the 1TB rotary USB Western Digital Passport drives really quiet.  I have 2 SSD's and 6 rotary drives but so far am hard pressed to hear a difference.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #975 on: 18 May 2012, 02:15 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers                                                                                      May 2012
SUBJECT: Dealer Feedback BDP-1 Digital Player

Sent: May-18-12
Subject: RE: BDP-1
Hello James,

Here is a translation of a message from our new customer for BDP-1

“THANK YOU very much for sent files (Gnome player).

You should call the Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player  "digital sound wonder"

After listening to BDP-1 in my system, I was thrilled and was upset that I was hesitating to buy it for so long.

Using  a PC with Foobar and BDA-1, the sound is very good, but those emotions and pleasure you have with CD player/BDA-1 are missing.  BDP-1 is much better. You have emotions, fantastic space and especially the holographic presentation of voices. The foreign reviews really did not lie.

I thank you again

Zdenek Klimsza”

Best regards,
Vaclav
Hifi Store

tomsenko

« Reply #976 on: 27 Sep 2012, 07:31 pm »
Hi!

I was previously using Dune media player via toslink as my digital source and was quite skeptical about the possible improvements that BDP-1 could possibly provide. How wrong could I be! Even without any room treatments and power conditioning, I can hardly believe the difference I am hearing. Pure musical nirvana, period. The timbre is finally spot on. Soundstage has opened up. Much more detail. Everything is just right.

The setup was effortless. And can you believe, Mike sent me the new firmware with NAS support within 2 minutes, how does that sound for a response time! Now I can play music from the hard disk in my Dune player.

Cheers,
Toms

[/img]

tomsenko

« Reply #977 on: 27 Sep 2012, 07:32 pm »

jjc1

« Reply #978 on: 28 Sep 2012, 03:19 am »
  Toms, is that granite under the bdp1?  What do you have between the granite slab and the shelf?

tomsenko

« Reply #979 on: 28 Sep 2012, 05:56 am »
  Toms, is that granite under the bdp1?  What do you have between the granite slab and the shelf?
No, that is marble. In between are pieces of blutack. But I am totally dissatisfied with the result. Blutack does not seem to be working as a decoupling agent at all. I have some stuff from Herbie's Audio Lab coming in soon.