• The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS
« Reply #940 on: 14 Dec 2011, 12:11 pm »
Sent: December-13-11 10:16 PM
To: jamestanner@bryston.com
Subject: BDP/BDA

James,

I installed the combo this morning and settled in for some low level listening this evening.  My interface is on its way so it was slow going to find certain cuts on the hard drive. When I did finally find them what a nice surprise. 

A backdrop of each performance that was quieter, more laid back yet the presentation was nicely layered.  Vocals were more palpable and the soundstage was much deeper. 

The system simply draws you into the performance to a level that I never would have envisioned with digital media in the mix.

Nicely done.

Gary
Director
Engineering Harmonics Inc.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #941 on: 16 Dec 2011, 12:02 am »
Sent: December-15-11 6:19 PM
To: 'James Tanner'
Subject: BDP

James

BTY, listened to the BDP today with the supplied USB thumb drive;

All good but some of the classical tracks blew me away!!  Space, detail, black background, and tonality, amazing.

A couple of tracks had some dynamics which actually startled me both in the room and even when I was upstairs, ….holy shit, great transients!

I’ll write something up once I listen to more and rip some std def Cd’s to hear.

Please let me know when you come across good HD recordings with both content and SPACE !  … I hate non dimensional recordings or things out of perspective

Gary

gil99

« Reply #942 on: 18 Dec 2011, 04:39 pm »
Hi all,
After a long drive to my dealer to get my BDP-1 & BDA-1, I connected them to my system in less than ½ an hour, put my 32g thumbdrive with music rip with DBpoweramp in flac set at level 5 (default), choose an album then press play.  All I can say is it plays music wonderfully right at the start.  It reproduce the music better than the CD played through my cd player which is connected to my BP-26 internal dac.  I don't think I will listen to a CD anymore, the BDP-1 is that good.  Now will try to configure my Ipod touch to use as a remote and rip all my CD's to my 500gb hdd.

Gil

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #943 on: 18 Dec 2011, 04:56 pm »
Hi all,
After a long drive to my dealer to get my BDP-1 & BDA-1, I connected them to my system in less than ½ an hour, put my 32g thumbdrive with music rip with DBpoweramp in flac set at level 5 (default), choose an album then press play.  All I can say is it plays music wonderfully right at the start.  It reproduce the music better than the CD played through my cd player which is connected to my BP-26 internal dac.  I don't think I will listen to a CD anymore, the BDP-1 is that good.  Now will try to configure my Ipod touch to use as a remote and rip all my CD's to my 500gb hdd.

Gil

Hi Gil,

Great news - let us know if we can help.

james

PS - what dealer and where they helpful?

gil99

« Reply #944 on: 18 Dec 2011, 05:45 pm »
Hi James,
From Audiolight, yes they give me a good demonstrastion how it worked and says to call their tech if I needed help configure it.  For the moment I try to prepare my hdd to rip my CD's on.  I have format it with fat 32, rip a couple CD's and try on the BDP-1 and when I scroll it I have a folder that shows as $recyclebin.xxx then artist, then album.  Format it again to try to remove the $recyclebin.xxx but didn't work.  Also would like to know when the drive is connected to the BDP-1 if when the player is not playing, does the drive stop rotating, is there a program inside the BDP-1 that will pause the drive when not playing.  Before formatting the drive there was a program on the drive itself that could be set (min) to put the drive in standby after inactivity.  Thanks

Gil   

Hi Gil,

Great news - let us know if we can help.

james

PS - what dealer and where they helpful?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #945 on: 18 Dec 2011, 05:54 pm »
Hi Gil

Yes the recycle is something Windows puts on there and I think a system file as well. You can get rid of them on the network but we can go there later.

I always remove all the preloaded programs on my drives.

You will not see the recycle file etc when you use the interfaces on the iPad or ITouch.

The drives will usually power down when not being used.

James

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #946 on: 18 Dec 2011, 09:31 pm »
...happy listening and many hours of 'rediscovering' your music collections, Gil :thumb:
the BDP is just a very, very good piece of audio equipment and i love it!

al.

Tezza009

« Reply #947 on: 19 Dec 2011, 02:31 pm »
Hi James

Having spent several months now with the BDP-1 / BDA-1 combination I thought I would send you the feedback that I promised.

By way of background I live in Hong Kong and have a fairly decent system based on Densen (Denmark) components which I have had for 5 years now. Generally very happy with Densen but a bit frustrated with the time that they take to develop new products.

I started thinking about buying a separate DAC to improve my Mac / iTunes / Airplay experience about 12 months ago and after considering several options decided to take the plunge with the Bryston kit.

I have been into Hi Fi for almost 40 years now and have experienced many "surprises" with new gear and upgrades but nothing has come close to the difference that the BDP-1 / BDA-1 combination has made. The combination of sound improvement and ease of use is quite remarkable and Bryston deserves the feedback that it is getting on these products.

The BDP-1 in particular is a no compromise product and I suspect people need to use it and hear it before they truly get it. Others have described the sound better than I can but suffice to say that it is cleaner, with the quiet bits quieter and a sense of space that almost adds another dimension to the music.

I still play CDs via my legacy optical player (which stills sounds good but not as good as the BDP-1) and I still use iTunes / Airplay / BDA-1 when convenience (parties, background music etc) is a priority. iTunes is still easier ...

I use MPAD and have had a few challenges setting everything up. Still not quite right and I will post a few questions to other threads of this forum to get some assistance. Generally, these are minor (album art, tagging, sorting issues) which I suspect are just part of the adjustment required of this new way of storing and playing music.

So well done to all at Bryston and thank you for creating these products that have improved my listening enjoyment.

regards
Terry

gil99

« Reply #948 on: 19 Dec 2011, 04:33 pm »
My drive is a 500gb WD passport formatted as fat32.  Connected to my BDP-1 in the stop mode, the drive didn't seem to come to stop rotating after at least an hour or so of inactivity, so I power off the BDP-1.  Does it could shortens the life of the drive if we leave the BDP-1 on all the time. 

Gil

kostisgva

« Reply #949 on: 22 Dec 2011, 08:27 pm »
http://www.cepro.com/slideshow/image/9478/

Editor's Picks: 15 Top Products of 2011
Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player
We may end up looking at the BDP-1 as the first product in a new digital music player category. The digital player separates the storage of music from the playback of music and does so with an innovative design that enables the unit to natively playback high resolution audio files from any USB storage device. The product contains no moving parts, streaming components or disc drives and can be combined with Bryston’s BDA-1 DAC to offer users a state-of-the-art digital audio solution that rivals the sound quality of the best analog systems.

vladacasa

« Reply #950 on: 7 Jan 2012, 03:51 pm »
I would like to share my experience after almost 200 hrs of listening to the BDP1, the assessment being made for the unit not paired with the BDA, since it was added to my digital transport and DAC  (Blu and QBD76). The comparison with this reference I think is useful for a correct positioning of this player amongst well recognized sources. Moreover, for a “fair” comparison I’ve used only ripped CD’s (DBPoweramp – flac uncompressed), even if the Blu does up sample to 24/176 via dual digital cables. For the test I have left the Blu with dual AES/EBU and used S/PDIF for the BDP1. More on cables afterward.
Both sources are standing on the same equipment rack, which I found brings a clear benefit to the sound. The CDP1 was additionally put on pulsar points which furthermore enhanced the soundstage. The power chords were replaced with Blue Heaven.

The first 50 hrs or so I’ve switched between the Blu and BDP1 both playing in parallel the same music, listening to endless records: the Blu systematically provided more texture and palpability, the soundstage was better defined and it was a clear liquidity in the midband and hights which BDP was lacking; this happened until my new S/PDIF with proper BNC arrived (until then I was using adaptors to RCA). The difference made by a proper cable erased 75% of that difference with Blu (please do not use any of those is a waste ….). 

Now for a more critical listening since with a proper cable the differences are more subtle, and now both players shear the same type of cable the Silver Shadow, (just as a small test I’ve borrowed a digital cable costing more than the BDP1: the upgrade is fantastic even if hard to sustain..). The Blu is still slightly more fulsome with an ease and fantastic timing, the music is standing out in a dramatic and believable manner, but the BDP is very, very close. It is now more a matter of taste and habit, since I’m listening more and more to the BDP. I admire the unbelievable dynamics both micro and macro, the music emerges in a precise location in the soundstage with full scale and with beautifully timmed decays. It is just a hint of overall cohesion which separates the players, but I believe that this will diminish with time.

I do not know if the ripping of DBPoweramp actually corrects my CD’s (which are labeled accurate rip – even if some are not defined as accurate) by comparing them with other available data, but the results are really impressive.
HD files: I have a mixt bag of opinions, none related to the BDP1. Raising Sand (flac 24/96) sounds worse than the ripped CD; samples from classical files flac 24/96 and 24/192 (2L) are truly unbelievable, never heard my system sounding like this with classical music. But still some samples from the Triangle CD are equally impressive. For me the god news is that with redbook the BDP is amazing, since most of the music I love is still not available as a high rez file. And if 24/192 is engineered by a MP3 fan…the results are zero (horrible Nevermind!).

Concluding, I can report that the Bryston really does a fantastic job. It deserves to be fully accessorized with proper cables and support, as high as you can afford, and partnered accordingly.

My best sound per pound upgrade.

Vlad
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2012, 07:05 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #951 on: 15 Jan 2012, 04:27 am »
Sent: January-14-12 4:34 PM
Subject: BDP-1

Dear Mr. Tanner,

I just bought a BDP-1 and since the very first song I'm super happy with it. It is connected to a BDA-1, that I was used to play in conjunction with a Mac MINI, EVO and Pure Music. No COMPARISON.

Many thanks

Andrea

jjc1

« Reply #952 on: 17 Jan 2012, 08:20 pm »
Hi Folks,

Please see below a link to another terrific review on the Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player from Soundstage Magazine.

It appears as if our method on playing back digital files is making some serious market penetration.. We have been in a constant state of backorder since we introduced the BDP-1 and I think it speaks volumes for the fact that ‘PERFORMANCE’ still matters to our customers.

http://bryston.com/PPDF/SSHiFi-Bryston.pdf

James Tanner
Bryston

James, when I click on the link, I get "sorry page not found" ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #953 on: 19 Jan 2012, 03:59 pm »
Hi, James. Thought you'd like to know about a great company (I don't work for them or have ownership interest) that I purchased my SSD from to use with the BPD-1. They are Oyen Digital in St Paul, Minnesota. I bought one of their MiniPro USB SSD 240GB. Their customer service was first rate, they shipped the unit right out, and even formatted FAT32 upon request. PLUS they are the least expensive of any SSDs I located, made here in North America (except for maybe the chip-set - I don't know about that), and the product is robust and well built. Anyway, check them out.

Really enjoying the BDP-1. Absolutely amazing how much better music sounds played from a hard drive versus on the fly.

Cheers,

Alan

« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2012, 01:03 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #954 on: 2 Feb 2012, 06:49 pm »
-----Original Message-----
Sent: February-02-12 1:22 PM
Subject: BDP-1

Hi James,

We met briefly at RMAF while you were demo-ing the BDP-1.  I'm now a proud owner, and I couldn't be more pleased.  My thanks to you and
Bryston for conceiving and delivering such a fine product!  Over the past 2 years I've paid kids in the neighborhood to rip my CD's (all  2000) to flac files (DBpoweramp). 

With the BDP-1 I'm rediscovering all this music.

I've figured out how to get connected via laptop, Motorola Zoom, Droid phone, et all through a variety of products. They all work fine.   

Regards,
Denny

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #955 on: 6 Feb 2012, 07:53 pm »
Sent: February-06-12 2:28 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: RE: BDP-1

Hi James,

I appreciate all the effort with your fast response and I thank you and Bryston.

Oh, by the way, I am very happy with the sonics.  I am using a Berkeley Alpha DAC and I was very skeptical whether my new BDP-1/Berkeley setup could better my Classe CDP-202.  After a few hours of critical listening I am very happy and there is an improvement.

Thanks again for a great product.

Sincerely,
Ron

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #956 on: 13 Feb 2012, 03:26 pm »
Hello James,

My name is Sorin and we wrote to each other quite awhile ago about the bdp-1 player I purchased.

I would like to thank you and the folks at Bryston for making a masterpiece of engineering that I still adore and have not found anything that even touches it in quality, build, digital implementation. Nothing, nada, zip.

Take care James

Sorin

ps.

what is madness? having a machine shop custom make a set of spikes specifically for the bryston bdp-1 that sits on a high end carbon fiber shelf to eliminate every bit of vibration

NMG

« Reply #957 on: 15 Feb 2012, 03:52 pm »
Sorin,

I have been wondering whether some type of resonance or vibration control under the BDP-1 would have a salutary effect on the sound.

Anyone have any experiences to share. I use fifferent footers under my preamp, tranpsort, tuner, etc.

Neal

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #958 on: 24 Feb 2012, 07:15 pm »
Date: February 24, 2012 12:42:54 PM EST
To: James Tanner <jamestanner@bryston.com>
Subject: Digital Duo

Hi James:

I just wanted to note that there is a lot of synergy between the BDP-1 and BDA-1. Many of the reviews of the BDP-1 have used the BDA-1 as it's mate but have commented that any good DAC would do. I recently removed a Weiss DAC2 from the hifi cabinet (unused for nearly a year). Before removing it I connected the AES output from the BDP-1 to the Weiss DAC2 and compared it's rendering of the BDP-1 output to the BDA-1 fed via the BNC route. The difference was startling.

The BDA-1 had the expected air around the instruments and a room-wide soundstage. In contrast the Weiss DAC2 kept all the sound between the two speakers ( much narrower soundstage ) and the music sounded rather blah - flat but not in the off-pitch meaning - more lifeless. So my experience is that the pair together make for wonderful music especially at the higher resolutions.

Best Regards, 
Stu

dpaws

« Reply #959 on: 5 Mar 2012, 04:12 am »
Firstly, thanks to all the input from the members, the thread takes a while to wade through but the time seems well spent.

I've just retired my Sooloos Control 15 as a stand alone player, the sound quality ultimately lets the unit down and there's no freedom to implement physical upgrades - but the touch screen interface was wonderful for guests at dinner parties and will be missed.

On the strength of the comments here I intend to dem the BDP-1 shortly, also the NAD M50 and the Weiss MAN301. (The rest of the system is a NAD M2 digital amp and Quad 2905's)

I still retain the Squeezebox Touch on the hifi rack as there are "Booms" in all of the bedrooms and the family enjoy using the Squeeze Server system.

I understand that there's a Linux based plug in (QPKG SSOTS) used by QNAP, I suppose it wouldn't take much for the BDP-1 to be recognised as a player, even as the hub on the Squeezeserver network? Given it's ability to except streams over the ethernet, conforming to the Squeeze protocols would expand its appeal even further.

Would this require a dual boot? Ie on start up select the operating mode for the BDP-1 as a stand alone player or as the hub of the Squeeze network, operating in the same way as the Touch does once a USB drive has been plugged into it?

Just thinking aloud... I'm most looking forward to the BDP-1 experience :)