BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #900 on: 1 Jul 2011, 03:57 pm »
You know guys one of the issues I think we run into with the BDP-1 is that it is not really understood what it is and what it does.  I almost think if it does not fit in with the 'standards' that are currently accepted (noisy laptops with high jitter rates and such and anything but bit perfect output) there is almost an initial dislike for the concept out of the gate and a pre-disposition not to like it.

There is no denying the state of the art specs of the BDP-1 that many have measured and attested to now and maybe it is just so different from what they are use too it breeds contempt???

james

PS - I think I may start posting some of the very thoughtful emails I get from people who come to the BDP-1 because they are fed up and frustrated with the other approaches to computer audio :thumb:

Alpha10

« Reply #901 on: 1 Jul 2011, 06:15 pm »
I've sat everybody who's entered my house in front of the BDP-1, since I've owned it. At the very least there has been a look of bewilderment on peoples' faces. And at best a quick listen has stretched right through the evening.
I'm a very proud owner, because it makes me incredibly happy. It's that simple.
It sounds nothing short of sublime. And an opinion that is short of that isnt one I spend any time dwelling on.

Kyri

I could not agree more with you Kyri, I have had countless people sat on my sofa since I have had my BDP and everyone has been nothing but blown away with the sound and concept once it is explained to them properly.

It has simply been one of, if not the best audio purchases I have every made. I do not care what  anyone with a probably hidden agenda wants to write!

Cheers

Alpha10

« Reply #902 on: 1 Jul 2011, 06:20 pm »
You know guys one of the issues I think we run into with the BDP-1 is that it is not really understood what it is and what it does.  I almost think if it does not fit in with the 'standards' that are currently accepted (noisy laptops with high jitter rates and such and anything but bit perfect output) there is almost an initial dislike for the concept out of the gate and a pre-disposition not to like it.

There is no denying the state of the art specs of the BDP-1 that many have measured and attested to now and maybe it is just so different from what they are use too it breeds contempt???

james

PS - I think I may start posting some of the very thoughtful emails I get from people who come to the BDP-1 because they are fed up and frustrated with the other approaches to computer audio :thumb:

I think you are right James, people are being brainwashed into thinking streaming is the future, to me it is not, it is the BDP. It is a little like the Film studio/manufacturer's attempt to convince us that we all want to sit with silly glasses on our heads to watch 3D.... :nono:

We should just concentrate on the owners and forget about the mags...

Cheers

saveloy

« Reply #903 on: 1 Jul 2011, 08:31 pm »
James,

I think 'computer audio' is still an area that hi-fi magazines are not confident about.  CD players are a known and everybody knows what and how they do things.
Streaming, with all its associated workings, is still alien to many.  So bringing in the BDP-1 is a complete confuddlement, since they don't understand why streaming, wireless connectivity, etc are bad, withy regard to noise.
Rather than focus on the sound quality, they are fixated on the lack of features or functionality.
I find it quite ironic, given that the turntable has been dragged through 100 years of innovation, to excel today with pretty much the same, generous level of functionality as it was born with!  That never seems to phase reviewers though. 

Kyri
« Last Edit: 2 Jul 2011, 08:51 am by saveloy »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #904 on: 24 Jul 2011, 07:16 pm »

Sent: July-24-11 3:10 PM
To: jamestanner@bryston.com
Subject: Bryston BDP-1

Hello Mr. Tanner,

My name is Sorin and I purchased the BDP-1 and am currently enjoying it immensly.

I would also like to tell you that I have been waiting such a long time for a piece of audio equipment such as the BDP-1. A great combination of excellent build quality, incredible performance, and reasonable price.

Thank you so much. I did allot of my audio shopping on the used market and found allot of great gear so
when I tell you that as soon as I got done reading about the BDP-1 and learned as much as I could about it, I called and placed an order for it from Robert's Audio video and drove two hours to pick it up. I never hesitated or second guessed, so that says allot coming from a person that always thought that second hand equipment was always the way to go for Audio. The BDP-1 is truly an innovative and incredible sounding piece and you have every right to be proud. I absolutely love the quality in both sound and build.

Once again, thank you so much Mr. Tanner.

Sorin

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #905 on: 25 Jul 2011, 02:56 am »
Sent: July-24-11 8:18 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Bryston BDP-1

Hello James,

You at Bryston have created a product that changed the face of digital audio. There is no one out there that has a component that comes even remotely close to the performance and convenience of the bdp-1 at that price, this is not even factoring build quality.

Sadly, I have a DCS transport that hasn't been turned on in months because the bdp-1 is used every other day(my non working days) of the week non stop. A 500 gb hybrid hard drive and three days ripped my entire cd collection. I am almost done saving up for a second unit for my bedroom.

Once again thank you James along with everyone at Bryston....... Right now I am listening to music as I type this.

Ps... If I ever hit powerball, i will be the first to integrate a bdp-1 inside the best BMW. Lol Bryston Motor Works. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #906 on: 31 Jul 2011, 02:00 pm »
Sent: July-31-11 9:56 AM
To: jamestanner@bryston.ca
Subject: Re: bryston bdp-1 as computer audio solution

James,

"I do read the many comments on Audio Circle related to the BDP-1. I find those particularly interesting from folks who have experimented with various computer based solutions. I for one am a very satisfied user of the BDP-1/BDA-1 combination.

I received the BDP-1 in early January. My first impressions that the pair represented a significant upgrade to my highly quality system have only been reinforced over the last seven months. I had previously been experimenting with hi-rez recordings from Reference Recordings and HDTracks. Streaming them from my computer using Media Monkey through a USB connector was clunky and required a computer to be stationed with its noisy fan running while I tried to play music. I also had the problem of listening to my large and expanding CD collection which inevitably involved searching for disks and keeping a pile of disks ready for play. In other words a lot of clutter was generated using my available tools.

Using the BDP-1 solved all of those problems. I have approximately seventy hi-rez recordings (all classical music) and have them stored on a solid state drive connected at the lower back USB connection. Most of these recordings sound superb - obviously related to the quality of the performance. What I did not expect, however, was the pleasure that I received from converting my standard red book CD collection and playing them through the BDP-1/BDA-1. I now have approximately 800 CDs stored on a 512GB USB drive - also inserted in the second back panel USB connection. The CDs were all ripped using dBpoweramp as non-compressed FLAC files. I have organized the files by composition type and composer. Using MPaD on my IPAd (I already owned one) I have an extremely versatile and effective way to select and play my music. And the sound! To my ears the recordings sound significantly better (more clarity, better midrange and soundstage, etc.) than when played through my very high quality CD player. Orchestral works, concertos, chamber music, band music and vocals all sound more realistic and they are all available at a moments notice. I am particularly impressed with the sound of my large collection of piano works. I now think that I have a fine piano in my living room with available performances from all of the great classical pianists. I have also enjoyed immensely listening to my large collection of opera recordings. Being able to select an entire recording either by making a play list or simply selecting all disks, make listening to opera a non-interrupted pleasure.

I could go on and on - the important thing is that the BDP-1 has revolutionized my music listening experience.

I am indebted to you and Bryston for your vision and the execution of the Bryston BDP-1 solution."

Best Regards,
Larry

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #907 on: 1 Aug 2011, 07:30 pm »
Sent: August-01-11 1:43 PM
Subject: BDP-1 Digital Player

Hello:

I have just read the review of your BDP-1 Digital Player in The Absolute Sound Magazine and I am very interested in this player.

Roy Chant

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #908 on: 12 Oct 2011, 01:47 pm »
Sent: October-12-11 9:37 AM
To: jamestanner@bryston.ca
Subject: RE: BDP-1
Importance: High

Hello James,

The BDA and BDP is a revelation compared to even my reference $6k and modded Sony cd player.

Once you get the cd s burned to to a external hard drive it is so much more convenient no more cds to scratch, the sound quality is so much more 3 dimentional, and many companys are offering master recordings with much higher resolution digital down loads that remove the limitations of the now outdated cd format instead of 16 bit 20khz,with the latest digital technologies.

It has up to 24bit - 192khz bandwidth which is many times the information and the performances are as if the band is in the room.I would also like to add by using a droid ,or ipad or Ipod  and just having a simple router you can play all your albums with all the album cover art right at your finder tips ,you never have to get up to change a cd , and you can even make a favorites folder for what ever songs you like ,this and your  library is no bigger than a cd case with a 1Terabyte external usb hanr drive for under $100 you can put up to 1,500 cds on this convenience and  the best cd sounding cd  playback I have ever heard even against $20 k playback systems.

Bryston you have a winner on your hands and a Class A + rated product.

P.S. - your customer help line is second to none - they stayed on the phone untill I had my player running like a Swiss watch!

Thank you,
Paul Letteri

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #909 on: 19 Oct 2011, 06:43 pm »
Sent: October-19-11 10:19 AM

James

Last night it happened again. I found another of my older CDs that I downloaded to play on the BDP and was absolutely floored by how much better it sounded thru the BDP than when I used to listen to it on my CD player (and the CD player I had was no slouch, the $4,000 Cary 300/303). I never really enjoyed this particular CD but on the BDP it was a completely different story. I am constantly amazed that I ever had so many albums that had such great sound until the BDP. Thru CD players the sound was really not involving at all.  With the BDP, I feel like I have a whole new music library. And for some mysterious reason, I seem to be neglecting my LP collection.

Great product! (and I'm sure that my BDA is also helping).  The two should be co-products of the decade.

bosrt

« Reply #910 on: 19 Oct 2011, 08:30 pm »
BDP-1 with Portable USB drive out duels my Sooloos.  Into an Antelope DAC.

BDP-1 doesn't have the noise and grunge that I didn't recognize before on my Sooloos.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #911 on: 21 Oct 2011, 06:29 pm »
...that's one of the great things about the BDP-1: IT IS SILENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

say music...say Bryston :green:

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #912 on: 31 Oct 2011, 08:54 pm »
Sent: October-31-11 4:31 PM
Subject: bryston BDP player and dac

Hi James

I came across your BDP-1 player and DAC on the Absolute Sound review and called you guys up a few months back…spoke with Chris Rice about it for hours..

First off, Chris is a real good guy and a smart guy to boot…it’s pretty much because of him I ended up buying not one, but two pairs of the BDP player with DAC..

Just wanted to congratulate you and he on a phenomenal product…finally, a media player built for the high end audio world.

Regards
Leon

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #913 on: 2 Nov 2011, 07:11 pm »
Hello Mr Tanner

I bought the bda dac and then a week later bought the bda player everyone was talking about ,when you say the word synergy that is an understatement. I have owned digital setups from MBL as well as Accustic arts of Germany as well as Modwright modded Sony units - the former over $16k

This $4400 setup with quality usb and digital cables far out shoots anything I have owned as well as all others that have heard this combination in my home ,it is very 3 dimentional with tons of air around the instruments even a good turntable would have a hard time keeping up ,especially the higher resolution downloads from HD tracks you can go from 16 bit all the way to 24bit 192 mhz, and the convenience alone just using a thumb drive or like myself using a 1T usb external hard drive , then using the DB power amp program for all your album art and organization it is such a joy to be able to play all of my 500 CDs at a moments notice is far better then any stand alone cd player could ever imagine,thanks for bringing the 21 century to the digital medium,

Paul Letteri.

Alpha10

« Reply #914 on: 2 Nov 2011, 07:46 pm »
Hi James, just seeing all these great (and well deserved) reviews rolling in, I was wondering, do you consider the BDP-1 to be the most successful product launch you/Bryston have had?

It would be funny if it was, considering the hard time so many people/critics gave you as they could not understand it..

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #915 on: 2 Nov 2011, 10:15 pm »
Hi James, just seeing all these great (and well deserved) reviews rolling in, I was wondering, do you consider the BDP-1 to be the most successful product launch you/Bryston have had?

It would be funny if it was, considering the hard time so many people/critics gave you as they could not understand it..

Cheers

I would say given the initial reaction yes the BDP-1 proved most of the critics wrong and in that way the rebound was beyond what any of us expected. 

You know I was thinking about this the other day at the show in Denver. Over the past year I have done a lot more consumer shows and I think what happened in the case of the BDP-1 is the customers were actually more aware and more up on the idea of the BDP-1 then the dealers and reviewers were.  The success of the BDP-1 came more from customers using the BDP-1 and reporting on its quality :thumb: which in turn forced the dealers to pay attention.  :duh:

I think that is what is great about the internet - the customer now can determine the fate of the product instead of the dealer.

james

mrhyfy

« Reply #916 on: 3 Nov 2011, 12:38 am »
I would say given the initial reaction yes the BDP-1 proved most of the critics wrong and in that way the rebound was beyond what any of us expected. 

You know I was thinking about this the other day at the show in Denver. Over the past year I have done a lot more consumer shows and I think what happened in the case of the BDP-1 is the customers were actually more aware and more up on the idea of the BDP-1 then the dealers and reviewers were.  The success of the BDP-1 came more from customers using the BDP-1 and reporting on its quality :thumb: which in turn forced the dealers to pay attention.  :duh:

I think that is what is great about the internet - the customer now can determine the fate of the product instead of the dealer.

james

James I think some show-goers may be more enthusiatic Brystonites than some dealers!~! :D :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #917 on: 3 Nov 2011, 10:36 am »
James I think some show-goers may be more enthusiatic Brystonites than some dealers!~! :D :D

I agree - I think some dealers miss the point - Bryston is all about our customers first and foremost and we have been criticized and in some cases ignored because of our long warranties and dedication to excellence and ideas outside the norm.

James

Marius

« Reply #918 on: 3 Nov 2011, 10:54 am »
Still, I find it amazing even Gramophone Magazine ingnores Bryston completely in their Primer on Listening Wirelessly. Maybe the title says it all...

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/features/focus/listening-wirelessly

Focus on the customers might just not equal focus on quality, but much more focus on convenience. Dilemma?

Marius

I agree - I think some dealers miss the point - Bryston is all about our customers first and foremost and we have been criticized and in some cases ignored because of our long warranties and dedication to excellence and ideas outside the norm.

James

whanafi

« Reply #919 on: 3 Nov 2011, 03:32 pm »

james

In my case, it is not about not "getting it", it is more about motivation to change something that already works.  The BDP-1 is ground-breaking in some ways, but very late to the digital party in others. 

I have already invested in learning how to rip, how to organize a large collection of music, how to store and back it up, and in a device to attach to my Bryston DAC, Pre-amp, and amp.  The best device at the time I built my system, was the Transporter, and by definition it is a streamer.  I get fantastic performance, and I isolate the computer/noisy/moving bits in another room by using a network to feed the data.

When James started talking about his vision for the BDP-1, he described a model of use that was back to a Player - media needed to be inserted.  That seemed like a step backwards to me.  I already have a great User Interface, and can control remotely from either a conventional remote control, or from an app on the iPad.

With the actual release of the BDP-1, it was clear that the device could be controlled remotely, but the content still needed to be "inserted".  For those just transitioning to digital, there is no discontinuity, and the model of use is something very familiar - plug in the USB flash drive, and music plays.

I have just moved to a place where I can no longer run wired Ethernet to my Transporter, and have to use Wi-Fi.  Over 802.11b, which is what the Transporter supports, I get dropouts with high resolution material.   

Ironically (for me), I am now looking at the BDP-1 as an alternative.