Poll

Do you want to start a monthly gathering?

Yes, I think that's a swell idea.
9 (90%)
No, I don't want people to know my little secrets;)
1 (10%)
Maybe, will there be food? (must post a suggestion or question if this option is picked)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 21 Feb 2004, 08:46 pm

Gathering and comparisons

Carlman

« on: 7 Feb 2004, 08:46 pm »
I'm having a preamp comparison at my place on February 21st.
I've posted about this in the Critic's Circle but, thought I'd post it here since NC has its own forum now.  Plus, this could be a chance to start a monthly NC-AC gathering... What do you think?

Carlman

« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2004, 03:46 am »
Wow... 60 views and only 5 votes.. one from me... the polls will be closing soon...

Of the few people interested are you also willing to host?  I was kind of hoping for at least 6 people to have a gathering so you only had to hear the same system twice a year.  I'm going to a 'PAS' meeting Sunday.  I don't know what PAS stands for but, I went to one a while back and met some really nice people.  I think the main guy is Kevin Carter of K&K Audio.  I'll see if there's any interest while I'm there.  

-Carl

Hantra

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2004, 05:23 am »
Although my room is small, I would be glad to host.  

Wow... 60 views and only 5 votes.. one from me...

I don't know what the deal is with so little response to the NC Circle.  I thought it would be more alive. . .

Rocket

Nc Listening Sessions
« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2004, 09:18 am »
Hi,

I'd vote for listening sessions but i don't think my opinion is valid.

I must be around 20 000klms away from Nc :o .

Come on you guys you don't know what you missing out on.  Just think of all the different and cool products you can listen to.

regards

rocket

spudco

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2004, 12:31 pm »
I have a great place to host a gathering, but I'm so disgusted with my current system that I wouldn't want folks to hear it.  

I'm going on record as having made a huge, expensive mistake.  I've had this gear for about 15 months and it even worked for about 5 of those months.  It just doesn't thrill for me even though it "looks great on paper".

I have a large room and I will be beginning to replace stuff from the speakers throught the pre-amp soon.  

I will be downsizing in terms of dollars, but hopefully will build something that I can enjoy again.

Perhaps by summer I could have some folks by.  That's the best time to visit my place anyway.

Brad V

« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2004, 12:40 pm »
I'd be glad to host also. You know my place, so it is plenty big enough.

Have a great day,

Brad

rosconey

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2004, 01:19 pm »
boy o boy a bunch o hillbillies comparing uncle zeekes shine against aunty corins,are you going to find out who smokes the best pig feet :lol:
you guys going to compare your 8 tracks of dueling banjos, while you squeel like pigs :?: lol

one of you guys should contact rick craig at selahaudio, hes a hillbilly also-lol
you guys would have a killer ear if you can get him on-good luck

ps i hope duke looses first round of the ncaa 's

Hantra

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2004, 04:59 pm »
Quote from: spudco
hopefully will build something that I can enjoy again.

Man, you used to have Plinius gear, right?  I have not had any gear screw with me emotionally as much as the Plinius gear has.  I sold my 8200 MkII, and am on the hunt.  I am scared about getting a Plinius class A amp b/c I have seen a $10,000 one BILLOW some smoke.  And that will quench your thirst to rush out and buy one.  

I am looking forward to hearing a couple of different amplifiers in the near-term.  Scott Nixon will be coming out with some beasty monoblocks that I HAVE to hear before I make a decision.  Also, I want to listen to the new Rowland 201's if my boy can ever get his demo pair in.  I was going to try and listen to the Butler 2250, but they never mailed me back with any info on it, and the only dealer I know around here has some serious mental issues.  

The Piegas, when properly setup, are VERY emotional speakers.  I am not sure I would move those if I were in your shoes.  hey need to be toed in to the extreme.  I would try firing them at a point about 2 inches behind your head.  

I'd absolutely look toward the amps, and the front-end.  I think the Audiomeca stuff is great, but Audio Note is a cut above, and the DAC 3.1x Balanced, with a good transport was the best digital I had ever heard, until I heard the VRS system.

Quote from: rosconey
boy o boy a bunch o hillbillies comparing uncle zeekes shine against aunty corins,are you going to find out who smokes the best pig feet

Actually, at our last audio "gathering" we blazed off a buncha rounds from the AR-15, the pistols, heck we had a good ol' time, right Brad?  Sorry to disappoint you Rosco, but there were no pig's feet, and since you live in a Criminal Empowerment Zone, we couldn't have brought any of our firepower up there to your gathering. . .   :lol:

Brad V

« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2004, 05:59 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
Actually, at our last audio "gathering" we blazed off a buncha rounds from the AR-15, the pistols, heck we had a good ol' time, right Brad?  Sorry to disappoint you Rosco, but there were no pig's feet, and since you live in a Criminal Empowerment Zone, we couldn't have brought any of our firepower up there to your gathering. . .   :lol:

Hi B,

Yes, we had a bll firing the AR-15 and the pistols, including your beautiful 357 Magnum.

No Pig's feet here, especially since I'm a transplanted New Yorker. :-)

rosconey

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2004, 06:12 pm »
i forgot about guns :o should have known better -thats why you keep all the junk cars next to the trailer -target practice-lol

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2004, 06:12 pm »
Most people don't realize....there are a lot of ex-New Yorker's in North Carolina. :)

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2004, 07:04 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
boy o boy a bunch o hillbillies comparing uncle zeekes shine against aunty corins,are you going to find out who smokes the best pig feet :lol:
you guys going to compare your 8 tracks of dueling banjos, while you squeel like pigs :?: lol

one of you guys should contact rick craig at selahaudio, hes a hillbilly also-lol
you guys would have a killer ear if you can get him on-good luck

ps i hope duke looses first round of the ncaa 's

Hay, thems fightin' wurdz yankey  :lol:

I'm actually a Hoosier by birth so the Big Ten is more important to me than Tobacco Road teams. You guys had your turn last year  :D

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2004, 10:10 pm »
Everyone,

I apologize in advance for the cross posting.  But since there seems to be several threads going at the moment with different participants, I thought I would try to catch everyone with this.

I spoke with Carlman today.  He has graciously invited me along for some of the fun at his place on the 21st.  Since he has already got a few pieces of gear to listen to (and we know how long these events can quickly become), he's asked that I not bring along too much stuff.  Rather, he's asked for some input from the group here.  If people are interested, I can bring along any number of the pieces listed below.

Bel Canto Evo2i integrated amplifier
Bel Canto DAC2
Bel Canto PrePro
Bel Canto Evo6
Carver Pro ZR1600 unmodded
Panasonic XR45
Von Schweikert VR-1
Von Schweikert sub
custom built end table sub using Peerless XLS and passive radiator
I also *think* I still have an old modded Audio Electronics Supply AE-3 preamp somewhere in a closet that I never sold...  I can try to find it since it appears that preamps are being compared ...

a range of IXOS cables including their Ixotica line

I also have a number of different one off custom speakers tucked away in closets throughout my house.  Besides giving some further comparisons for the two speakers being evaluated, it might be an opportunity for someone if you want something really cheap since it will clear some storage space for me :)

I'm also waiting on lots of other stuff at the moment.  So there is the possibility of some Opera gear.

Let me know if any of this interests you or if you would prefer I bring nothing along.  Thanks!

As to future or regular monthly meetings, I am happy to host.  My rooms aren't super large, but there are two distinct rooms, which should help.  And we've hosted massive numbers of people for socials before.  So count me in!

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2004, 12:35 pm »
I'd be glad to host sometime.  Don't know if any of you are into the Dark Side of HT (or is that the Bright Side?),  but since my system is integrated, we could include some of that.

Brad V

« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2004, 06:17 pm »
Quote from: Inscrutable
I'd be glad to host sometime.  Don't know if any of you are into the Dark Side of HT (or is that the Bright Side?),  but since my system is integrated, we could include some of that.

Where are you located?

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #15 on: 16 Feb 2004, 12:35 pm »
Brad et al,
I am in Cary (west side).
Tim

Hantra

« Reply #16 on: 16 Feb 2004, 06:27 pm »
Quote from: Inscrutable