A visit to GR Research

ntjetsmoke

A visit to GR Research
« on: 30 May 2019, 04:03 am »
Today I had the pleasure of visiting GR Research. I had a scheduled appointment with Danny to evaluate a loudspeaker of mine for the design of a new crossover. Upon arrival we two wheel  dollied the speaker to Danny's workshop and tested the impedance, spectral decay, on and off axis response and so forth. This speaker needs quite a bit of help and I quickly agreed to Danny's proposal to design a new crossover filtering network.

After the testing period Danny and I sat in his workshop and began a simple conversation about my audio journey, While we were talking he received a business inquiry from the telephone. The time Danny was on the phone allowed me to acclimate into the GR Research environment. A sense of peace a joy of labor, a place which has beats to it's own PRaT.A place that embodies Danny as he is a man of patience and reserved intellect. I was able to see or hear the "gestalt" of GR Research. The phone inquiry ended and Danny and I resumed talking about a wide variety of topics. Danny has retained a youthful athletic gift -he is a swift runner - fleet a foot enough to out run men thirty years his Junior. He has a recent video where he was out running soccer players from the local university!

My system, of five years, has been a four way horn affair. All active, I have tired of it and have been looking for my next loudspeakers.I attended AXPONA and LSAF this year and have become smitten by the OB sound. Danny had the NX-Tremes set up in his listening room and after a session of listening I am torn between the NX-Tremes and the NX-Otica with the triple subs. So yes I am buying a kit from Danny! Either way I will not be wrong. I will decide tomorrow.

To close, I had a wonderful afternoon and made a new friend, thanks Danny.

« Last Edit: 30 May 2019, 10:50 am by ntjetsmoke »

Danny Richie

Re: A visit to GR Research
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2019, 04:56 am »
Hey, thank you Tim. The pleasure was all mine. Now I have a new friend too.

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2019, 01:03 pm »
Love this story and congrats on the new kit! You wont be making a bad decision either way! Love my Oticas!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2019, 02:46 pm »
Horns are nice, I have horns in my secondary (upstairs) system.  Love the punchiness and dynamics that horns can give you. 

BUT, there's just something about well done OB speakers that is just flat out REAL sounding.  Especially when using servo powered OB bass.  Which is why the main system (downstairs) has the Super 7s.  Just incredibly good. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2019, 04:11 pm »
Cool story, glad to hear  you enjoyed your  visit  and meting  Danny.
Betting you'll be happy with  whatever design you  go with :thumb:

I know  there could be  a  move in  Don's  future  so he  may be  looking to move  a pair of finished NX-Tremes
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152137.0

jay

ntjetsmoke

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2019, 07:10 pm »
I am joining the club as I have ordered the NX-Otica's with triple subs!

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2019, 07:14 pm »
So I hear   :thumb:

We're getting  a bit backed up again  but  will try and get these  out  fairly quickly for you.
Shoot me an email to captainhemo at  shaw.ca,  have a couple  questions  for you.

jay