Amazing anti-vibration feet

rustydoglim

Amazing anti-vibration feet
« on: 17 May 2016, 06:01 pm »

• M3 screw penetrates 2/3 of the silicone for stability and shock absorption.
  • O-ring (R0.8mm) reduces surface contact to the minimum.
  • Medical-grade silicone (40∘A & 60∘A)  Single-process forming to absorb the unit’s weight and absorb surface-contact vibration. Two feet use 40∘A and two feet use 60∘A to compensate for interior components’ uneven weight distribution.
  • 0.5T SECC galvanized steel for isolation and shock prevention.
  • Minimum surface contact with the desktop.

I am not sure anyone realise that the NuPrime patent pending feet design is super high end. We have been too busy to provide the info until TAS reviewer who is now reviewing DAC-9, STA-9 x 2 and HPA-9 commented about the feet that even very high-end products do not have such design (he is very observant).  So we finally get our act together to provide the info.

The details of this feet design is amazing!  I am so surprise to hear that the stiffness of the silicones for the front and back pair of feet are different due to weight distribution. OMG. Who would have thought of that  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 18 May 2016, 01:41 pm by rustydoglim »

maty

Re: Amazing anti-vibration feet
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2016, 08:34 pm »
Maybe in the future you could sell them.

I have my own (and cheap) very good DIY anti-vibration in my second-hand AV. Inside and outside with feet not so pretty. And in the speakers stands.

I would buy four!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2016, 08:53 pm »

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2016, 02:59 am »
Speaking as a mechanical engineer, I would be very interested in seeing more details about these feet of yours.

lokie

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2016, 01:19 pm »
This looks like it has potential. I am just finishing up a DIY speaker and working on the feet.

if i understand this correctly, is there a "cup" these will sit in? Do they have corresponding weight specs?

Would love to try these if they aren't over priced. FYI- The fact that you have used the word "amazing" more than once is a bit of a turn off, though.

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2016, 01:43 pm »
I updated the first post, forgot to include explanation for the diagram.
We plan to sell it together with a new Custom Audio business.

OzarkTom

« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2016, 01:59 pm »
We plan to sell it together with a new Custom Audio business.

expensive :cry:

rustydoglim

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2016, 03:38 pm »
I mean it can be purchased as an accessory separately.

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2016, 04:37 pm »
I mean it can be purchased as an accessory separately.

Will one need to know the weight distribution of the component it will be used with?

rustydoglim

« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2016, 05:38 pm »
Yes, since there are two versions of the feet. We are not ready to sell them yet. Perhaps by end of Summer when other plans are in place.

Martyn

« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2016, 09:30 pm »

The details of this feet design is amazing!  I am so surprise to hear that the stiffness of the silicones for the front and back pair of feet are different due to weight distribution. OMG. Who would have thought of that  :thumb:

Who would have thought of that? Well, every Noise & Vibration Control engineer in the world, and probably every mechanical engineering student who has taken Vibration Control 101 (which is most of them). The fact that this surprises you is the most amazing thing about this product.

For those who want to try elastomeric feet (and you should), buy a pack of these (item B): http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=62154&cat=3,40993,41285. You'll get 18 of them for $6.60 and that's in Canadian dollars! If your equipment is really heavy, try using six instead of four. If it's so much heavier at the back that it leans back when on four feet (very unlikely), use three at the back and two at the front. At 37 cents each you can afford to experiment! For lightweight equipment, try the smaller feet (item A) at 20 cents each!

Can't quite remember now, but I think my main speakers weigh about 90 lb each. I use four of the "item B" resilient bumper feet per speaker. They've been there for years with no deterioration and work just fine. My floor is carpet on pad on wood, so I use a 30mm granite plinth (left over from my kitchen renovation) spiked through the carpet into the wood, and then sit my speakers on their bumper feet on top of the granite. The spikes reduce the amount of structure-borne vibration that reaches the granite. The bumper feet provide some isolation between the speaker and the granite, thus reducing the vibration that is transmitted in either direction. The granite provides some mass-damping even though it's close-coupled to the floor. To be honest, the granite is probably more cool than effective - it's the bumper feet that do most of the work.

If you can't be bothered to do mail-order from Lee Valley (although I can't see it costing you more than about $10 all in - $20 if you try both types), try your local hardware store - look for something of similar size that you can *just* deflect if you squeeze it really hard between your finger and thumb. There really is no reason to buy a magical patent-pending product made from medical-grade material.

Armaegis

« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2016, 09:53 pm »
Tsk, as a Canadian you should be placing these underneath all your equipment: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/canadian-tire-logo-practice-hockey-pucks-30-pk-0830248p.html#srp

=D

Martyn

« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2016, 10:02 pm »
Funny you should mention those...I use them as feet for plant pots out on my deck. Much better value than the over-priced ceramic ones that the garden centers try to sell you, and they work just as well (sound familiar?).

rustydoglim

« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2016, 04:32 pm »
Marty seems to take offence at my post about the feet.  You could criticise me for making a little over the top marketing statement (which you take my expression of excitement "who would have thought of that" literally), that I accept :). This is a friendly community and I encourage differences in opinion.

My message is not just directing at Marty. But keep in mind that this is after all, a NuPrime forum.
I don't think the following statement is fair, especially making it within NuPrime forum (yes, this is my house :))
There really is no reason to buy a magical patent-pending product made from medical-grade material.
Your suggestion for other anti-vibration accessories is perfectly fine. I would be ok if you put it in another way:
"It is more cost effective to purchase alternative feet from ...."

Besides serving its purpose for anti-vibration, there is also the aesthetic aspect of it. If we have used square stick on silicone feet on a $995 product, we would be criticised.  Why do people pay more for fine restaurant, luxury goods, better design etc? After investing in initial tooling cost, the material cost for the feet is not that much.  But customer will appreciate the look, in addition to the science.

If another vendor wants to buy the NuPrime feet in volume, I am fine to sell at very reasonable cost.

kevb

« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2016, 09:00 pm »
I like the feet as they work wonders for my IDA-8, which is currently on a glass/metal TV stand in the family room.  It really does make the sonics consistent over differing shelf materials.  Nice work!   :thumb:

Martyn

« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2016, 09:48 pm »
No offence taken and none intended. One of the reasons that I don't visit Audio Circle very frequently these days is that the incidence of unsubstantiated claims for various audio products seems to have increased dramatically in recent years. I usually do my best to bite my tongue, but in this instance your thread was front and centre when I logged in the other day.

It's unfortunate that it happened to be on a supplier's forum, although I don't believe that that should be used as excuse to make an "over the top marketing statement". If you want to gain credibility and respect, your claims should be sensible, honest, and stand scrutiny. You should be able and willing to substantiate the claims you make (although that might make you a rare breed on AC these days).

I didn't comment on the aesthetics of your feet, but I would be very interested to hear more about "the science". Having a patent pending says nothing about the performance of a product or the relevance of the patent's claims, and I stand by my statement with respect to medical grade materials. Perhaps the material has been approved for use in medical implants, but that is hardly relevant to anti-vibration feet.

I wonder too about what it is about the performance of these feet that makes them "super high end". Vibration control is a complex subject and is widely misunderstood. Presumably your company's engineers conducted considerable testing before making such a claim? Perhaps they could elaborate.

Armaegis

« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2016, 10:35 pm »
Is there a white paper available? Is there any testing data regarding vibration damping that can be shared?

rustydoglim

« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2016, 07:18 am »
We are not trying to sell this thing, and there is no need for us to elaborate further. The  #1 to #5 explain the basic.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2016, 07:31 am »
We are not trying to sell this thing, and there is no need for us to elaborate further. The  #1 to #5 explain the basic.
Thanks for inform, I had no seen the 1-5 items after the edition.
Silicon its a new product in my limited experience.
  • M3 screw penetrates 2/3 of the silicone for stability and shock absorption.
  • O-ring (R0.8mm) reduces surface contact to the minimum.
  • Medical-grade silicone (40∘A & 60∘A)  Single-process forming to absorb the unit’s weight and absorb surface-contact vibration. Two feet use 40∘A and two feet use 60∘A to compensate for interior components’ uneven weight distribution.
  • 0.5T SECC galvanized steel for isolation and shock prevention.
  • Minimum surface contact with the desktop.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2016, 11:08 am »
Although I'm a cheap sceptic have tried several tweaks over 40 years, but have rarely heard any improvements with them.

Along the lines of this thread, yes as a structural engineer with some vibration (seismic) background I wholeheartedly agree that a soft footer in theory must be sized for the supported weight.  Drives me nuts when I see uber expensive feet for sale with no attention given to the weight involved or guys using super cheap cork/neoprene blocks willy-nilly (which I'd tried too at one time).  Years ago tried 'Panda Feet' which were marshmallow shaped soft footers in three different sizes/weight ratings.  Even the vendor later admitted he couldn't hear an improvement.

Currently I have a simple system in a nice room that includes a DSPeaker being used as DAC & preamp and a pair of mono-blocks.  They sit on a spare 12" x 43" x 0.75" piece of shelving I found in the garage that is spiked through carpet/pad to the concrete slab, located about 3 feet from the front wall.  Getting away from the front wall/floor intersection is supposed to reduce room induced bass but the real improvement was allowing the soundstage to fill the entire front wall (versus having a very small, end table sized, rack in the typical front wall location).  BTW the gear sits on whatever feet came with them.