Choosing veneers

jsalk

Re: Choosing veneers
« Reply #20 on: 20 Dec 2014, 01:12 pm »
Curious if you had ever done iron sulfate acid washes?

We experimented with this just once.  But the customer decided to go with another finish.

- Jim

Archguy

« Reply #21 on: 14 Jul 2017, 02:55 am »

I hope this made sense.

Just joined the site after reading your tremendously useful posts.  I'm a licensed architect and furniture fan who encounters many of the issues you describe in accurate detail in this thread.  My compliments & thanks--AG.

jsalk

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jul 2017, 04:19 pm »
Just joined the site after reading your tremendously useful posts.  I'm a licensed architect and furniture fan who encounters many of the issues you describe in accurate detail in this thread.  My compliments & thanks--AG.

Thanks for the kind words.  Much appreciated.

- Jim

gasron67

« Reply #23 on: 3 Feb 2018, 07:08 am »
Hello, Jim

I live in the Philippines where the humidity is quite high. I love looking at those highly figured burls on your speakers, but reading what you've written had got me thinking. A long grained wood would be better for me instead of a burl, considering where I live. Less chance of getting problemsin the future. Am I correct?

Thanks.

jsalk

« Reply #24 on: 3 Feb 2018, 05:42 pm »
Hello, Jim

I live in the Philippines where the humidity is quite high. I love looking at those highly figured burls on your speakers, but reading what you've written had got me thinking. A long grained wood would be better for me instead of a burl, considering where I live. Less chance of getting problems in the future. Am I correct?

Thanks.

I think that would be an accurate assessment.  The grain in burls is quite random and tends to move in different directions when there are changes in temperature and humidity - especially humidity.

But there are ways to deal with this.  There are special glues (think epoxy-like) that are extremely rigid, lock the veneer down tight and prevent it from moving.  We don't normally use these, but certainly can in a situation like this.

- Jim

gasron67

« Reply #25 on: 5 Feb 2018, 06:53 am »
Thanks for answering, Jim. That’s just one of the tens of questions I wanted to ask. I have my eyes firmly on the Exotica Monitors, and it’s just so hard to settle on which veneer, with so many to choose from. I love highly polished woods, and yours are just gorgeous.

maplemusic

« Reply #26 on: 22 Apr 2019, 09:40 pm »
Jim

This may take a bit more time but can you start taking pictures of raw veneers you start with, pictures with cabinets veneered raw , and finally pictures of finished speakers.

Also I wish if you could make a 10 minute video of speaker cabinet making as long as it does not give out too much of your proprietary process.

Just something to think about.