OB dipole subwoofer materials

f575m

OB dipole subwoofer materials
« on: 30 May 2017, 10:16 pm »
Chaps,

I have decided to build a pair of OB dipoles with two of the SW-12-16FR woofers per side using H frames.

In the early seventies, I built a pair of loudspeakers [KEF B139/B110/T27] using a new material called Novoply, an all wood panel, a three-ply board of balanced sandwich construction, consisting of a dense outer surface of specially prepared wood veneer flakes, a lower density core of medium sized chips, and another higher density layer of flakes. These flakes and chips are resin-coated and impregnated, and the three layers (or plies) are simultaneously formed and fused together under heat and pressure. Because of this exacting construction Novoply panels are extremely stable and virtually warp-free. It was so easy to cut recesses to flush mount the drivers.

I have also built other kits using 3/4" baltic plywood, but this time, for these OB dipoles, I don't know what to use.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Horacio

Davey

Re: OB dipole subwoofer materials
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2017, 12:28 am »
3/4" baltic plywood would be just fine.
You don't need exotic construction materials for dipole speakers.....especially woofers.  The construction techniques are very simple.  This is one of the many advantages of dipole speakers.

Dave.