Powered up but disconnected amps

Don_S

Powered up but disconnected amps
« on: 6 Jul 2018, 03:43 pm »
Is there a potential problem having power to a SS amp that is not connected to a system?  I have a large amp for sale locally and the potential buyer is wondering how hot it runs when left on 24/7. I would like him to feel for himself.  I do not want to reinsert the amp and preamp into my system and then have to remove it and put my system back together again with my integrated.

I thought I read somewhere that it was not advised to power up tube amps that were not connected.  I do not remember what the problem was or if it was shared by SS amps.

Thanks for any help.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Powered up but disconnected amps
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2018, 04:13 pm »
Should be no problem powering up a solid state amp and leaving it on.
 personally I would connect the inputs to some source,  That source turned off. Jus so the inputs cannot pick up anything. Or put some cap cover on the inputs. But this is just paranoia, and not really needed

sunnydaze

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2018, 05:46 pm »
If not sure, I would never leave an amp powered on without a load.  Any amp.  Matter of fact, I don't do it even if I know it's safe.  Just in case.......

Simple solution:   attach a pair of 10 ohm resistors across the binding posts.  That's what I do when I want to warm up an amp outside of the system.  Super cheap, available at RatShack.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-10-ohm-10w-10-wirewound-resistor-2-pack?variant=20332257285&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpvzZBRCbARIsACe8vyJUZCpwvOpx5EaCsvtVI6I5YHvKlzVyPwMj4MmgHlh4pldpfWEJLrAaAsuOEALw_wcB

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2018, 08:53 pm »
I don't think I've ever read this to be a problem for SS amps. Whatever power that isn't used just gets turned into heat and released via the heat sinks. No problem. That's how SS amps work. With tube amps, I believe the problem is that while the tubes are on (and no load connected), they will eventually saturate the output transformers, causing the tubes to overheat and blow up. I think this is the issue, but maybe someone else (more technical) will chime in if I'm wrong.

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2018, 11:49 pm »
Thank you for the responses.  Amy just went to its new home.