Job Integrated?

OzarkTom

Job Integrated?
« on: 18 Dec 2016, 04:43 am »
Job Integrated? Anyone here using one? Thoughts? For $1699, this looks like a great deal and should drive most speakers. Comes with DAC and remote. :D

Audiogon review

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/job-integrated-amp

6moons review-Blue Moon award winner

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/job3/1.html

Folsom

Re: Job Integrated?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2016, 06:05 am »
meh

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2016, 01:01 pm »
Good pricing from a quality Swiss company and apparent good sounding, but don't like:

1.)  Only 50 wpc at 8 ohms;
2.)  Built-in DAC (as fast as digital technology is changing, will look like a dinosaur very soon);
3.)  Analog input signal is converted to digital;
4.)  Why not build a full featured remote?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2016, 02:36 pm »
Good pricing from a quality Swiss company and apparent good sounding, but don't like:

2.)  Built-in DAC (as fast as digital technology is changing, will look like a dinosaur very soon);
3.)  Analog input signal is converted to digital;
4.)  Why not build a full featured remote?

The audiogon forum review to read is "devilboy" who actually compared it to some decent gear. Point 2 that JLM made is absolutely correct, unless you can upgrade for cheap (the dac section) then it's pointless IMHO. Point 3 is not bad if designed well, I know there are several of you that hate ADC converters but implementation is important. Point 1 is only a reasonable point if you listen to inefficient speakers. If not, get a smaller room or sit closer. Regarding point 4, yup its pretty but loses a few functions. I like the SMD design of the boards however.

But honestly, if you really want 1) upgradeability, 2) an integrated design and 3) great sonics, then just pony up for a Vinnie Rossi LIO and you'll soon stop posting ;)

Best,
Anand.

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2016, 03:19 pm »
While I agree that digital tech does move on, I think an included DAC is not necessarily a bad thing.

Many many users will just use this as an all in one and like it for years.

Agree that separate is better for some, but I don't see it as a drawback.

OzarkTom

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2016, 03:29 pm »

But honestly, if you really want 1) upgradeability, 2) an integrated design and 3) great sonics, then just pony up for a Vinnie Rossi LIO and you'll soon stop posting ;)

Best,
Anand.

So what if a person does not want to pony up 10 grand plus for a LIO?  My buddy Rex had $7500 in his LIO, but found a $1200 int. that had more detail and much bigger soundstage. It does not look as nice as the LIO, but Rex sold the LIO.

Actually, Rex only paid $640 on a kickstarter program. Spending big bucks does not always guarantee the best sound. We have both had the Job amps, but slightly grainy.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2016, 03:56 pm »
So what if a person does not want to pony up 10 grand plus for a LIO?  My buddy Rex had $7500 in his LIO, but found a $1200 int. that had more detail and much bigger soundstage. It does not look as nice as the LIO, but Rex sold the LIO.

Actually, Rex only paid $640 on a kickstarter program. Spending big bucks does not always guarantee the best sound. We have both had the Job amps, but slightly grainy.

:o Which integrated was that? Can your buddy REX post a comparison review perhaps?

I know spending big bucks does not guarantee great sound. Good design with measurements definitely plays a part. I'm a diy'er you know ;)

There is a value in the LIO that may be hard to imagine in that the designer is constantly on the lookout for improvements which is part of the large upfront costs to minimize/prevent obsolescence. At the same time if you have upgraditis or like to swap gear or are a diy'er you may not like the LIO as it is one man's vision. I'm not an owner or a dealer btw.

But I'm willing to read a review on a better sounding product if you are willing to share albeit vicariously through Rex.

Best,
Anand.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2016, 05:06 pm »

The Job 225 stereo power amplifier was rated at 125W/ch @ 8Ω, the Job Integrated is rated at 175W/ch @ 8Ω (215W/ch @ 4Ω).  Although both specs are rated at 1% THD and would produce somewhat less power at say .01% THD, the spec would still be a whole lot more than 50W/ch @ 8Ω.

The quote from Goldmund's Rodolphe Boulang in the 6 Moons review was ""we list 8Ω output power at 1% THD in the IEC60065 standard just like the Job 225 so the INT makes 50wpc more. Under the same tolerance, its 4 Ω output becomes 215wpc"

I don't have a problem with a built-in DAC that you're only paying maybe $300 or $400 more for and can be ignored if you later decide to add an external DAC.

But if there was a such a thing as the "Job Integrated +" that added remote input switching, optical and coaxial inputs were discrete inputs not paralleled and selected by auto-sensing and there were either pre-outs or a mono sub out, I would rather pay $1995 for that.

Steve

Cheese-burger

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2016, 06:09 pm »
I have 2 friends who are using the Job INT and they both swear by it. I heard them personally. While the amp section is very good performing, I have my reservations about the DAC.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2016, 06:28 pm »
Job Integrated? Anyone here using one? Thoughts? For $1699, this looks like a great deal...

Guess that depends on how well it fairs against the TBI. Weren't there some Job comparisons in the TBI giant killing thread?

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2016, 06:48 pm »
I just don't know why anyone would invest in that tired old Goldmund amp circuit... it's been bested by pretty much everything that's out these days.

JLM

« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2016, 09:00 pm »
Sorry Steve, you're right.  But am suspicious of amps that don't double output from 8 ohms to 4 ohms.  And the 1% distortion specification used in the rating is worrisome too.

Mark, I should have elaborated more.  Without a competent DAC, the Job integrated is left with only a single analog stereo input option, so it really limits it's value down the road.

Anand, comparing a $10,000 integrated with a $1600 integrated is pretty pointless.  Better to compare the $1700 Job integrated to the something like the $2000 NuPrime IDA-16.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2016, 09:06 pm »
OzarkTom,

Are you still using the TBI Millenia?

MttBsh

« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2016, 09:16 pm »
I just don't know why anyone would invest in that tired old Goldmund amp circuit... it's been bested by pretty much everything that's out these days.

Really? That's a pretty broad statement. I purchased a Job 225 a few months ago and it is exceptionally good, the best amp I've heard, and I've heard quite a few.

srb

« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2016, 09:26 pm »
Better to compare the $1700 Job integrated to the something like the $2000 NuPrime IDA-16.

Just wondering if the NuPrime website has up to date information as Audio Advisor and several other vendors are advertising the IDA-16 for $2600?

Steve

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2016, 09:28 pm »
Anand, comparing a $10,000 integrated with a $1600 integrated is pretty pointless.  Better to compare the $1700 Job integrated to the something like the $2000 NuPrime IDA-16.

Agreed, JLM. Honestly, I was trying too see if OzarkTom would pull out a "his buddy Rex" comment and low and behold, he did!

That was entertaining for me at least. I'll stop now.

Regarding measurements and all it would be nice to see frequency vs. THD, IMD, and multitoned IMD measurements at 1W and higher. But that would be asking too much of these manufacturers. Apparently the Audiogon merry-go-round is how the industry survives... :roll:

Wind Chaser: Never thought the heavily modified TBI I auditioned was a giant killer in any way, but musical, and forgettable in all honesty:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=115309.msg1293521#msg1293521

Best,
Anand.

JLM

« Reply #16 on: 18 Dec 2016, 09:44 pm »
Just wondering if the NuPrime website has up to date information as Audio Advisor and several other vendors are advertising the IDA-16 for $2600?

Steve

Just got the price off their website, which is dated 2016 and appears to have been very nicely updated since I last visited.

OzarkTom

« Reply #17 on: 18 Dec 2016, 09:51 pm »
OzarkTom,

Are you still using the TBI Millenia?

I am using the DAC Cherry monos with 30V PSU. Rex is using the DAC SMT. That  int. beat his LIO in detail and soundstage. These are much better than any of the chip amps.

OzarkTom

« Reply #18 on: 18 Dec 2016, 10:08 pm »
Agreed, JLM. Honestly, I was trying too see if OzarkTom would pull out a "his buddy Rex" comment and low and behold, he did!

That was entertaining for me at least. I'll stop now.

Best,
Anand.

Sorry Anand very busy today working today.

Rex had a stoke about 4-5 years ago and lost his speech. It took a year in speech therapy for his speech to come back, hearing was not affected. I talk to Rex 3-4 times a week, but he never writes because even spellcheck will not work for him. So that is why he never writes on AC. But his DAC SMT even won out over his DAC Cherry Monos+LIO. His monos+LIO sounded second best, maybe the LIO amp is the weeklink.

OzarkTom

« Reply #19 on: 18 Dec 2016, 10:13 pm »

Anand, comparing a $10,000 integrated with a $1600 integrated is pretty pointless. 

Why is it pointless if you own both of them?