BMW 1 series.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
BMW 1 series.
« on: 23 Apr 2007, 08:47 am »
I wanna buy a new car, or I'm considering it. Got my ass currently resting on a -93
But I want something newer.
I was at a car show some time ago, had a look at a 1 series 3-door a 118d BMW I think.

Anybody that has tried a 1 series for a longer period of time, or own one?
What's the take on them?

Imperial
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2007, 09:20 am by Imperial »

sts9fan

Re: BMW 1 series.
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2007, 12:23 pm »
Well you may get a few responses but we don't have those here in the US.  I think we are getting them in 09

Imperial

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2007, 12:52 pm »
Ok. I'll post on a European forum then...  :oops:

Didn't know that... (they did release the 1 series in 2004...)

Imperial

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2007, 01:47 pm »
The US is always well behind Europe in getting the cool cars.  Plus, if it's a small car, it may never make it to the states. 

Imperial

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2007, 02:02 pm »
Okay.

Well, I just sat in the seat on the show, but what a race seated feeling it was!
Perfect drivers position!
All dials and levers perfectly placed.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yd-qU2AlbaI
I want one  :green:
But I sort of want to know if the feeling lasts with ownership...
Imperial

jaywills

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2007, 02:10 pm »
"But I sort of want to know if the feeling lasts with ownership"

Although YMMV, it certainly has for me.  i've owned a series of BMW's since the first one I bought in 1968, a 1600.  I'm currently in my fifteenth year of driving the same 1991 M5.  Hard to imagine myself driving anything else.  Cordially,

Levi

« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2007, 02:19 pm »
I like the Schnizer modified one.  The stock cannot even keep up.

Imperial

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2007, 02:35 pm »
Doggone! My neighbour just bought himself a 118i !!! A Blue one!
Aaaaa... now I have to get a move on as well!  :D
I did not tell him about my plans!  :P

Imperial

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2007, 04:42 am »
Go for the Schnizer. :thumb:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2007, 05:26 am »
If it does come here, it is questionable whether they'd market the 'd' (diesel) model.  They have quite restrictive laws in New York and California, in particular, the nation's 1st and 4th largest car consumers.  Without them in the mix, it makes it less cost effective for car makers to offer diesels.

Honda and M-B have supposedly found cleaner ways of introducing diesel...and will be 50 state legal next year.

Diesels have never been well received here.  Gas it still over 50% less than most of Western Europe  :)

Nice looking vehicle...I'm still surprised they actually gave the US the Mini (I think a year after Europe, but pretty much the same running gear)

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 7 May 2007, 11:15 am »
I believe that Diesel gas in Europe has been low sulpher for a while.  We're finally getting around to making our diesel low sulpher, which is where the vast majority of cleanliness comes from.  I was picked up in a taxi in Rome, and it was a diesel model from Mercedes (and a standard, too).  It's unclear as to why we don't like diesels here.  Certainly there was a time when a diesel was incredibly loud.  However, they've become much better. 

boead

« Reply #11 on: 7 May 2007, 12:13 pm »
If it does come here, it is questionable whether they'd market the 'd' (diesel) model.  They have quite restrictive laws in New York and California, in particular, the nation's 1st and 4th largest car consumers.  Without them in the mix, it makes it less cost effective for car makers to offer diesels.

Honda and M-B have supposedly found cleaner ways of introducing diesel...and will be 50 state legal next year.

Diesels have never been well received here.  Gas it still over 50% less than most of Western Europe  :)

Nice looking vehicle...I'm still surprised they actually gave the US the Mini (I think a year after Europe, but pretty much the same running gear)

Have you seen the price of gas lately? Its over $3.55 around here and its not even summer yet. We’ll easily break $4.00 for summer.

sts9fan

« Reply #12 on: 7 May 2007, 12:42 pm »
I drive a VW diesel and it is sweet.  They are not really any cleaner then regular gas they just pollute differently.  More soot and NOx.  I run B100 starting in late April to early September which is nice.  The new clean diesel systems basically add another catalyst that will break down the NOx.  Gotta love 50mpg

boead

« Reply #13 on: 7 May 2007, 01:14 pm »
VW diesel hatchback gets 72 mpg

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/354/C8884/

TONEPUB

« Reply #14 on: 7 May 2007, 02:40 pm »
I have a pair of E30's that are still running very strong at almost
200K miles, but would love a 1 series!  But who knows when the
US will actually get them. Might have to jump ship and get an
Audi A3...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #15 on: 7 May 2007, 02:52 pm »

HOLY JESUS MAN!!! :o
That beats the hell out of my Yukon Xl that gets 14mpg :?

Bob

boead

« Reply #16 on: 8 May 2007, 12:26 am »

HOLY JESUS MAN!!! :o
That beats the hell out of my Yukon Xl that gets 14mpg :?

Bob

14 !!

You best start paying Ed those carbon credits.

Shame on you – 14 mpg.

Levi

« Reply #17 on: 8 May 2007, 12:50 am »
Same here with my ML500 making 14 mpg 

However, I drive a Honda Accord 4cyl everyday so it is not as bad

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 8 May 2007, 12:53 am »
Bob - Was that Tahoe assigned to you or did you choose it? Consider that you could be getting 20 mpg more than you are now. Then consider how many miles you drive per year. Then figure out how much audio money you're pissing away on petrol. That Tahoe probably costs you a nice new preamp every year.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #19 on: 8 May 2007, 12:47 pm »
Hey Bo,..Who's Ed??
"Shame on me", yea, I'm not being a good boy. However I need a vehicle that'll carry four people and "stuff". Last weekend I carried two adults, two children (in car seats), two Hawthorne Audio Duets (Big Monsters!) and 7 boxes of stuff to a buddies house. Plenty of creature comforts. We were all comfortable with dual zone climate control, overhead DVD player etc... Like riding on a cloud.

Jack HI. The GMC Yukon XL is the 'brother' of a Chevy Suburban. Bigger yet than a standard Tahoe. I thought about your very statement this morning when I put $62 of fuel in the beast. $3.09 per gallon is kicking my ass. :roll: I don't think I'll ever get rid of a vehicle with the capabilities of this one. A third car might be in order. Maybe some 10 year old Honda Civic or the like. I remember back in the early/mid 90's when I worked for Honda, they had a Civic called the "VX", I think.....If I remember correctly it got over 40mpg.
The wife drives a Pontiac Grand Prix that gets about 25mpg, but see's less miles in a week that I see in a day.
Saving $25 a week nets me about $1,300 a year. You're right, about the price of a nice preamp. I've been kicking around the idea of an extra (third) car for a few years now but financially it didn't seem like it would make much difference. The original cost of the car, getting it up to snuff for everyday driving standards, maintenance, repairs etc... start draining the "profit" from an extra car less appealing. That's been a while since I did the math, now that fuel is over $3 it might be behoove me to do the math again.

Bob