Need a truck!

TomS

Re: Need a truck!
« Reply #20 on: 19 Mar 2007, 01:58 am »
Well, they build them here in Ft. Wayne and were showing off their new "innovation"  :D

bubba966

« Reply #21 on: 19 Mar 2007, 05:16 am »
Stopped by a Chevy dealer today and checked out a 2500HD Silverado. Nice looking and driving truck. One thing that did worry me is the truck bed felt like it is made of very thin gauge metal. We haul a lot of equipment and wood crating around and it seems like the bed would not hold up. Maybe they are all like that now, but I remember our 1999 Ford to be a heaver gauge.

Go look at the GMC's instead of the Chevy's. They usually have a bit better stuff on the GMC versions.

WEEZ

« Reply #22 on: 19 Mar 2007, 01:00 pm »
I spent a brief time in the auto business; and all I will add here, is that the GMC's have the highest trade-in/re-sale value of the 'Big 3'.

WEEZ

JoshK

« Reply #23 on: 19 Mar 2007, 01:23 pm »
I am in serious lust with the Tundra.  However, I am not sure how they stack up to the GMCs.  My dad had a Tacoma with the V6 in it and that was one ballsy truck.  He put a 5th wheel hitch in the bed and pulled a trailer a big boat and some other stuff.  It pulled pretty well too considering it was a small p/u.  I just have always liked Toyota trucks (not their cars really). 

Btw, when I grew up with my friends, you'd get lynched for owning a Ford, so their was a heavy GMC/Chevy bias.  Dodge owners were posers but you could own a toyota p/u if you lifted it >5". 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #24 on: 29 Mar 2007, 09:52 pm »
MCA, Did you make a purchase yet??

Bob (Chevy guy! 8))

mca

« Reply #25 on: 29 Mar 2007, 10:09 pm »
Btw, when I grew up with my friends, you'd get lynched for owning a Ford

Sounds like I will be in for a Lynching then, because we ended up buying another Ford. Found a deal on a 2003 extra cab/long bed with 40k miles that we could not pass up. We were able to buy the truck outright with the insurance money we received.

WEEZ

« Reply #26 on: 29 Mar 2007, 10:50 pm »
mca,

Lynching, Smynching :D

As much as I like GMC trucks...I drive a Ford Ranger Edge with a 4.0 V6. It's been good to me. Enjoy your new vehicle. :thumb:

WEEZ

Double Ugly

« Reply #27 on: 29 Mar 2007, 11:40 pm »
Lynching, Smynching :D

As much as I like GMC trucks...I drive a Ford Ranger Edge with a 4.0 V6. It's been good to me. Enjoy your new vehicle. :thumb:

I've never thought I'd ever own a Ford, but I recently acquired an '06 Lincoln LS that continues to surprise.   It's quick (286 ft. lbs of torque), fast (280 hp), handles more like a BMW than any car I've driven, and so far has gotten decent gas mileage (~22-24 city, better than 28 hwy cruising 65-85 mph).  My only complaint is a wee bit more wind and road noise than I'd expect from a car in this price range (new retail $40k-$45k fully loaded, which mine is).

Unless it begins to surprise me in less desirable ways, the LS will be around here for a while.

PS (OT) - Seen this, WEEZ?

WEEZ

« Reply #28 on: 29 Mar 2007, 11:46 pm »
Hey Jim,

Yeah, that's a Thunderbird in sedan clothing :)

I'll PM you regarding the 'link' :wink:

WEEZ

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #29 on: 30 Mar 2007, 02:12 am »
Ok MCA, I won't hold that against you. Remember the phrase, "friends don't let friends drive Fords"?
Well,............. we're all friends here, and I did the best I could from so far away.   :wink:

Take Care dude!  :thumb:
Bob

lazydays

« Reply #30 on: 30 Mar 2007, 04:18 pm »
well for what it's worth the new 2007 Chevy trucks are out (there is actually two different 2007's). They have the new frame under them as well as the new suspension pieces. I looked at one two days ago in a 3/4 ton package, and liked it.
gary

mca

« Reply #31 on: 1 Apr 2007, 04:27 pm »
I did test drive a 2007 Silverado and liked it very much. You would have never known you were driving a 3/4 ton pickup. I really liked the newly styled interior, as it had a very sporty look. Lotsa power and nice exhaust tone, too.

The check from the insurance company is arriving this week. They valued the truck a little higher than even I had guessed. In the end, it was nice to end up with a newer truck with less miles without having to spend any additional cash  :D

Now I need to start looking at anti-theft/vehicle tracking devices to keep this one safe. Any ideas?

lazydays

« Reply #32 on: 1 Apr 2007, 04:31 pm »
I did test drive a 2007 Silverado and liked it very much. You would have never known you were driving a 3/4 ton pickup. I really liked the newly styled interior, as it had a very sporty look. Lotsa power and nice exhaust tone, too.

The check from the insurance company is arriving this week. They valued the truck a little higher than even I had guessed. In the end, it was nice to end up with a newer truck with less miles without having to spend any additional cash  :D

Now I need to start looking at anti-theft/vehicle tracking devices to keep this one safe. Any ideas?

if your after anti theft, then a G.M. truck is the only one to get. Buy the OnStar package, and you've got it all. You can't hide that truck on this planet without them finding it in a couple hours. They also can turn the engine off till it's recovered again.
Cops love it cause it takes the work out of finding it.
gary

mca

« Reply #33 on: 1 Apr 2007, 04:53 pm »
if your after anti theft, then a G.M. truck is the only one to get

I already ended up with a used Ford. Can Onstar be added to a vehicle?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #34 on: 1 Apr 2007, 05:03 pm »
if your after anti theft, then a G.M. truck is the only one to get. Buy the OnStar package, and you've got it all. You can't hide that truck on this planet without them finding it in a couple hours. They also can turn the engine off till it's recovered again.
Cops love it cause it takes the work out of finding it.
gary
Don't know if its true ???.....but someone once said..."if you rip out the car antenna....no more LoJack or On Star".

As for security.....PowerLock......its not an alarm.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #35 on: 1 Apr 2007, 05:44 pm »
Hello MCA,
 What Ford truck did you end up with? I went out in search of a SUV last week and looked at the Ford Explorer, Chevy Trail Blazer and Chevy Avalanche (more of a 4 door truck?). The Avalanche is one hell of a truck but was a bit more than I wanted or needed to spend. Plus the gas milage is not very attractive. I ended up getting something I never thought I would own, a Jeep Cherokee Sport 4 x 4 (like new, very low miles 2000). The first day I owned it I never saw it as my wife was driving it all day.
 A few days later, my wife wanted to test drive a vehicle and she has had her eyes on the Chevy Equinox we both wanted 4 wheel or all wheel drive. So we drove it. The Equinox wasn't too bad but it drove like a car with a SUV body which is exactly what it is. The interior was very cheap looking with lots of wear on the knobs and plastic parts already. This is what has taken the place of the Trail Blazer which took the place of the S-10 Blazer. They have gone from a decent small truck based SUV to what is basically a car undercarriage with a small SUV body sitting atop it. We were actually disappointed.
 After pulling back into the lot, we noticed a beautiful very low milage 04' Jeep Liberty 4x4 so we took that for a test drive as well. Needless to say, the Liberty is a much more substantial vehicle. She wants the Liberty. We'll make a final decision tomorrow.

Maybe if gas prices settle down again I will reconsider the Avalanche again.

TomS

« Reply #36 on: 1 Apr 2007, 09:17 pm »
Bill,

I've had a 2002 Avalanche 1500 Z71 5.3l and now a 2004 Avalanche 2500 Z71 with the 8.1l motor (for towing a horse trailer).  They have both been terrific trouble free vehicles that are essentially a Suburban with the rear upper quarter cut off.  Can't say much for the gas mileage - the 1500 got about 16-17 on the highway.  The 2500 8.1l, well let's just say it's a pig (10-12mpg Ouch).  It will pull a tree out of the ground though :-)  We put 90k miles on each one without any major issues and they are supremely comfortable and provide great utility.

Good luck in the hunt.

Tom

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #37 on: 1 Apr 2007, 09:52 pm »
Thanks for the comments Tom. I have some family and friends with various Avalanche models and they all love em'. The Jeeps are not the best on gas either but better than the Chevy Suburban/Avalanche.
 The other coach from our baseball team can probably pick me up an Avalance at an auction for under $15k.
 Now I have to decide if I want to get this truck or stick with the smaller Jeep for a while nad get my Ducati this spring :scratch: I am thinking the Jeep will be just fine for a while.

lazydays

« Reply #38 on: 2 Apr 2007, 04:49 pm »
G.M. will soon be selling the Avalanche and Tahoes with the Duramax diesels and Allison automatics very soon as they were in the final phase of certification last December. That engine / transmission combo should put you in the 22 mpg range on the highway. The half ton diesel combo is said tobe in the 25 mpg range with 460 ft. lb. of torque. Thats over a 25% milage improvement over the 5.3 in a half ton.
    The Equinox was scheduled to be phased out late next year, but has been extended at least two more years, as they've finally got the transfer case issues fixed (all were in house problems from up in Muncie IN.). Now Allison builds that transfer case in Speedway, IN. They are still building Trailblazers, but think there is a new replacement body coming out in the fall on the old platform.
gary

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #39 on: 2 Apr 2007, 05:21 pm »
Hi Gary,
 That's interesting information on the Avalanche. Those diesels have a ton of torque. Unfortunately, living up here in the north without a garage, they can be a hassle at times on those frigid winter mornings.
 I picked up the new Liberty this morning and the wife is very happy with it so we'll get our use out of these vehicles for a while Obviously, things in the automotive indutrsy will change by the time I seek out another truck :thumb: