NOH Seiden Volume Switch LED

Doc Jr 8156

« on: 3 Mar 2004, 04:14 pm »
Hello,

Is there a way to lit up the LED on my NOH Volume switch using external power?  I don't have the remote control option yet (still saving) but I've seen pictures of NOH where the LED is functioning and they look gorgeous.  Say, using a walwart as power supply, can this be done?  If so what is the voltage required for the LED?  Comments appreciated.

John Revilla M.D.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2004, 05:51 pm »
Hello!

As long as you have the led in the knob you could lite it up with 5V and a 2K resistor in series to limit current. You can play with that 2K value to adjust the brightness. A higher value voltage could be used just scale the led value up to suit. With 12V try something like 5K or 6K or so. Any DC wall supply should be able to light it up. Even a battery pack or a 9V would last for a while - not sure exactly how long though!  

The wire wraps around the spool area of the knob and usually lands right on the Remote PCB next to it. Without the pcb there you'll need to rig the wire so it'll spool/unspool as the knob is turned. Just rig it up and leave the lid off for the first bit to make sure the led wire is behaving!

Thansk!

John

Doc Jr 8156

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2004, 05:49 am »
John,

Sad to say, I blew the LED.  I used the 12vdc power wart with a 10k resistor.  However, I fail to see that the wall wart produce around 750mA.  I noticed that the LED is a very small one.  Can I just get a replacement from RadioShack?  The color does not matter.  Thank you.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2004, 03:06 pm »
Hello!

Should not have blown if the 10K restistor was in-line. The wall wart was rated for 750 mA but with the 10K in series the most you'd get from it would be 1.2 mA - not even close to enough to blow it! Did you try the other polarity on by swapping the leads to the led? Led's (unlike standard bulbs) have to be hooked up a with + on one side and - on the other.

Thansk!

John

Doc Jr 8156

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2004, 04:11 pm »
John,

Yes I did check the polarity.  I too am perflexed why the LED blew.  Well, I'll just get some LEDs.  Do you think this size (of LED) is available in Radioshack?  Thank you.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2004, 04:26 pm »
Hello!

It very likely is availiable - it is just a small standard led size. I can shoot one down if you don't spot one. You'll need to 'punch' the old one out and then solder the leadout wires to the new one. Sorry for the troubles with that!

BTW - did it come on at all? Was the resistor connected in-line with the power supply (not accross the + and - but in 'series' with the led)?

Thansk!

John

Doc Jr 8156

« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar 2004, 06:02 am »
John,

I got it working finally.  I found small diodes from RatShack but I have to trim the base before it can pass through the hole.  To improve it, I added a potentiometer and what do you know?  Now I can dim and brighten the LED :P .  Although the color of the LEDs I got were red, I think it still look good.  I will put 2 other LED on the selectors one of these days.  What about my screws?  I tried HomeDepot, Lowe's and ACE hardware but can't find them.  Just want to say, after 48 hours on the FryKleaner as instructed,  the sound is much smoother and punchier.  Norah Jones is scarry!  You can hear Miles twitching his lips on this thing. The NOH is absolutely the greatest preamp I heard.  Thanks.

John Revilla :P

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 5 Mar 2004, 01:35 pm »
Hello!

Glad it is alive! Screws left a few days back via air - you should have them anytime now.

I don't know if it's a good thing when a pre-amp makes 'Norah Jones Scary'! :D

Very glad you are having fun with it - please keep me posted if I can help with anything.

Thanks!

John