120v to 240v step-up converters

honesthoff

120v to 240v step-up converters
« on: 22 Apr 2006, 01:51 pm »
Hi,

I'm relatively new to the hobby, and I am looking at Dussun's V8i 250 wpc integrated amp to power a new set of Revel F30's I just purchased.  The U.S. version (120v) sells for $1600.00, the same amp in 240v can be had for $850.00 from Hong Kong.  My question is does the step-up converter required to run the 240v version in my 120v home degrade the sound?  I'm a little lacking in my electrical knowledge, but isn't this the same basic idea as what my power company does when they step-down the 480v or 960v transmission line voltage with their transformers at street-level?  Also, is their an "audiophile" converter available?  Thanks in advance for your responses?

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Re: 120v to 240v step-up converters
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2006, 12:04 pm »
Actually, if you are going from 240V to 120V, you should call it a step-down transformer to make sure you are getting what you need.

This will work, assuming you get a transformer of adequate power rating, I would suggest a least a 1KW rating to handing a big power amp.

Note that going from 120V to 240V has more pitfalls. Most furren AC is 50 hz, and a unit designed for US 120V 60Hz may perform poorly on 240V 50hz with a matching transformer because the power supply is replinished slower; 50 times a second vs 60.

Frank Van Alstine

Frihed91

You may not need an external transformer
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2006, 02:51 pm »
yes, they add line noise.  But many mfrs make their input transformers such that they can be easily rewired (split primary) for NA and EU voltage.  But let me tell you, in most cases importing from a PRC to HK distributor means no warranty and/or dealer service/backup.  Is that worth around $800 to you?

pingong

Re: 120v to 240v step-up converters
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2006, 03:00 pm »
Hi,

I'm relatively new to the hobby, and I am looking at Dussun's V8i 250 wpc integrated amp to power a new set of Revel F30's I just purchased.  The U.S. version (120v) sells for $1600.00, the same amp in 240v can be had for $850.00 from Hong Kong.  My question is does the step-up converter required to run the 240v version in my 120v home degrade the sound?  I'm a little lacking in my electrical knowledge, but isn't this the same basic idea as what my power company does when they step-down the 480v or 960v transmission line voltage with their transformers at street-level?  Also, is their an "audiophile" converter available?  Thanks in advance for your responses?

Frankly, using a 120v/220v converter for an amp is a very bad idea. Amps need juicy and quality AC power source.

If you move internationally and have to do it, make sure to get a converter with double the power rating your amp needs, good isolation and protection.

By the way, those sellers are grey market. They set up their webs. After receive your order, they buy from retail store in China and ship to you from China. They have people inside China. You pay for international shipping, import duties and fees depend on different situations, which are not included in their prices. You also need a 220v/120v converter. How much you can save? After you have received your stuff, you are on you own.

One guy continues bug me for service of a domestic Chinese model CDP. I do not carry that model of the player. The manufacture does not supply me parts and schematic of it. If I had, for the sympathy, but against manufacture’s policy, I might help him. We are all audiophiles.

Cheers,
Ping
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2006, 04:09 pm by pingong »