Best Value In Speaker Cables?

Sonny

Re: Best Value In Speaker Cables?
« Reply #100 on: 5 Apr 2012, 09:08 pm »
This is incorrect.  Perhaps you are applying the same line of thought to speaker cable that you do with interconnect cable? 

Due to the low impedance of amplifier/speaker interface, a high-capacitance speaker cable will actually offset the series inductance of the cable.  It's the series inductance that causes high frequency roll-off in speaker cables.

That said, high-capacitance speaker cables can cause some amplifiers to oscillate.  So, while high-capacitance is desirable in a speaker cable its use isn't always desirable.

Thanks for the correction lowtech!  You are right, I was thinking i/c and it's the inductance that's can be an issue with s/c.   :duh:

Thanks!

Harmon

« Reply #101 on: 5 Apr 2012, 09:24 pm »
Cheeseboy, Check out RealityCables.com. I have their interconnects, speaker cables for years and do not even consider getting another brand, they are that good. Super high-end at a very reasonable price.  Good luck  :)

medium jim

« Reply #102 on: 5 Apr 2012, 09:38 pm »
I have heard Mike Morrow's SP1, SP2, and SP3 cables, and while I currently use the SP3s in my system, I think the SP1s are also an excellent value. Would not hesitate to recommend these.

2nd on Mike Morrow's cable's....good stuff at a reasonable price.  His entry level stuff is better than most mid-level offering from the other usual suspects.

Jim

maxima95

« Reply #103 on: 28 Apr 2012, 04:59 pm »

I use Reality and Morrow SP-3 speaker cables in 2 different systems.  Different, but both very good for the money.

Airborn

« Reply #104 on: 29 Apr 2012, 06:35 am »
I just replaced Blue Jean interconnects and Audio Art speaker cables with Liberty Cables and they sound good so far.
Speaker Cables

Interconnects

wushuliu

« Reply #105 on: 29 Apr 2012, 07:47 am »
Best value would be getting the Neotech UPOCC teflon copper stranded at Soniccraft, which is very affordable. There are so many retail cable choices with near infinite geometries and selling points that you're just playing lottery with a purchase; with the neotech at least you know you are getting the lowest dielectric you can get next to air, and the highest copper purity you can buy (okay, barring VhAudio and other uberexpensive brands). Almost always it's either one or the other via retail unless you shell out big bucks. Neotech: 16awg 8ft pr. <$150. The grain-free (not just covered up, rolled off) delivery of low dielectric and 6N occ copper/silver is something to be heard. Then you can fine-tune by doing twisted pair or separate or whatever geometry floats your boat. No reason not to diy speaker cables given the incredible price/performance value and ease of assembly.

mhconley

« Reply #106 on: 29 Apr 2012, 01:01 pm »
Best value would be getting the Neotech UPOCC teflon copper stranded at Soniccraft, which is very affordable. There are so many retail cable choices with near infinite geometries and selling points that you're just playing lottery with a purchase; with the neotech at least you know you are getting the lowest dielectric you can get next to air, and the highest copper purity you can buy (okay, barring VhAudio and other uberexpensive brands). Almost always it's either one or the other via retail unless you shell out big bucks. Neotech: 16awg 8ft pr. <$150. The grain-free (not just covered up, rolled off) delivery of low dielectric and 6N occ copper/silver is something to be heard. Then you can fine-tune by doing twisted pair or separate or whatever geometry floats your boat. No reason not to diy speaker cables given the incredible price/performance value and ease of assembly.

The Liberty Cable bargain bin Z500 THX speaker cables are Neotech OCC.  They were made by the same manufacturer, Wang Lung.  You can't go wrong at $26.18 for 3m, $31.41 for 4m and $36.63 for 5m.

Martin

murphy11

« Reply #107 on: 29 Apr 2012, 01:29 pm »
The Liberty Cable bargain bin Z500 THX speaker cables are Neotech OCC.  They were made by the same manufacturer, Wang Lung.  You can't go wrong at $26.18 for 3m, $31.41 for 4m and $36.63 for 5m.

Martin
  Looks liike you have to be a dealer to buy them? There is no 'how to buy' info on that site.

mhconley

« Reply #108 on: 29 Apr 2012, 01:34 pm »
  Looks liike you have to be a dealer to buy them? There is no 'how to buy' info on that site.

Sorry about that - the 10'(3m) are out of stock.  You can still get the 13'(4m) and 17'(5m).  No need to be a dealer to buy from the Bargain Bin.  Liberty Cable is discontinuing their Z500 line.

Martin

It's been brought to my attention that unlike the other cables in the Z500 line the speaker cables are not 100% OCC, they are a mix of OCC and OFC wire.  Still, at their current price they cannot be beat.
Quote from: Liberty Cable
10 AWG conductors constructed with:
60/.127mm Ohno Continuous Casting copper center rope
6x60/.127mm Oxygen Free Copper ropes helically spiraled around the OCC center conductor
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2012, 07:22 pm by mhconley »

Passive Chappy

« Reply #109 on: 30 Apr 2012, 06:54 pm »
I just started using DNM cable and found them to be excellent.  Might be worth looking into.

http://www.stereotimes.com/cable022205.shtml

fredgarvin

« Reply #110 on: 3 May 2012, 11:09 pm »
I'm really liking the Bolder Nitros,  and I like the fact that these gems are from an original Audiocircle Manufacturer.

J@ck

« Reply #111 on: 4 May 2012, 12:51 am »
Just received and installed the Z500 speaker cable from Liberty Cable.
It is well made and well worth the price. I replaced the Belden 10AWG from Blue Jeans Cable.
Thank you for the information.

Big Red Machine

• And now for something completely different....
« Reply #112 on: 4 May 2012, 01:48 am »
I roll my own.  3 gauge!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
« Reply #113 on: 5 May 2012, 02:57 pm »
   The sleeper of ALL TIMES IMO are the Radio Shack 14ga speaker wire. The trick is to tie both ends of cable together "shotgun" So one run of two wires makes one run of cable.  If you are handy separate the wires and weave a Litz configuration [ 4 wires ] for each leg.
   Try them cheap enough and you may be quite a happy camper.

charles

Ray Bronk

« Reply #114 on: 9 May 2012, 06:36 am »
   The sleeper of ALL TIMES IMO are the Radio Shack 14ga speaker wire. The trick is to tie both ends of cable together "shotgun" So one run of two wires makes one run of cable.  If you are handy separate the wires and weave a Litz configuration [ 4 wires ] for each leg.
   Try them cheap enough and you may be quite a happy camper.

charles

Hi Charles,

Ok, so you take 4 pieces? of 14 Gauge and put each leg together so you have 4 pieces of speaker wire. So do you separate them and twist them together, 4 pieces in one leg? You didn't give enough detail as to how you make this. Sounds interesting though.

Ray

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #115 on: 9 May 2012, 12:50 pm »
The closer the Send and Return wires are to each other, the lower the Self Inductance, the lower the Self Inductance, the better the high frequency response.
The lower the Impedance of the Tweeters, the more important this is.

heathkit

« Reply #116 on: 1 Oct 2012, 09:58 pm »
Sorry for the bump, but I seem to have just missed out on the Liberty cables deal, they now are completely out.  Does anyone know of another source?
Thanks!

dlbeck

« Reply #117 on: 21 Nov 2012, 01:29 am »
I was settling in on Anti-Cables and then saw the posts about them being "magnet" cables.  What does this mean and why is it bad?

Any other good options around that price range?  Looks like Coze Cables aren't taking orders anymore.  Darn.

David

richidoo

« Reply #118 on: 21 Nov 2012, 01:54 am »
Anticable uses transformer wire. It is urethane varnished, pure, single crystal copper made at the Ohno foundry in Japan. A transformer is a magnetic device, the wire in a transformer makes an electromagnet, so it is referred to as magnet wire. This kind of wire is also used to make inductor coils which are also magnetic devices. There's nothing special about it, other than solid to handle high current and heat, and thin urethane varnish insulated. Various levels of copper purity and wire gage are available. It is an industrial commodity, not a special wire designed for audio speakers. It has nice clarity compared to cheap vinyl insulated wire, but it rings badly, which colors the sound in a negative way to my ears. 

TJHUB

« Reply #119 on: 21 Nov 2012, 02:13 am »
I was settling in on Anti-Cables and then saw the posts about them being "magnet" cables.  What does this mean and why is it bad?

Any other good options around that price range?  Looks like Coze Cables aren't taking orders anymore.  Darn.

David

PM'd you.

I can't think of a pair of speaker cables I disliked more than the Anti-Cables.