Free In Room Measurements

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Free In Room Measurements
« on: 5 Oct 2011, 11:46 pm »
I believe so much in proper room setup and understanding it that I want to share.  I've mentioned using a simple Radio Shack SPL meter with the Real Traps Test Cd many times.  I've even offered to make the pretty Excel sheet.  Nobody has ever done it as far as I know. 

So, my offer is if you live within 45 mls of Charlotte, NC I'll come to you with my computer loaded with HolmImpulse, my mic and stand and all cables (XLR & RCA) and take some baseline measurements and a few others once we speak. 

This data will be helpful to you so you know for sure what you have and where you can improve your sound.  Again, the cost is nothing.  There are 3 pretty decent size regional airports that I use if you are willing to fly private to pick me up.

Of course the measurements are yours and will be provided to you in the raw form and JPEG so you can share with anyone you wish. 

Big Red Machine

Re: Free In Room Measurements
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2011, 11:51 pm »
Come on over!

motorcitym3

« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2011, 12:54 am »
Yeah Pete!  That makes two from Canton.    (Detroit area)

Road trip!!!! 

Now that I have my Tyler Acoustic Linbrook Sig's and Bolder Cable modded minimax dac, I'd like to get back to measuring and figuring out my room responses.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2011, 12:58 am »
Come on over!

Yeah Pete!  That makes two from Canton.    (Detroit area)

Road trip!!!! 

Now that I have my Tyler Acoustic Linbrook Sig's and Bolder Cable modded minimax dac, I'd like to get back to measuring and figuring out my room responses.

http://www.usairways.com/default.aspx has a hub in CLT. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2011, 01:02 am »
I was in Charlotte last week!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2011, 01:22 am »
I was in Charlotte last week!

OK but that doesn't help you measure your room. 

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2011, 10:15 am »
Since your going to MI add Stevensville at the #3 slot.
Don't worry, we'll pitch in a few bucks for gas  :P

finsup

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2011, 01:10 am »
Sent you a PM.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2011, 01:12 am »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2011, 01:22 am »
Damn fine generosity and camaraderie.  Makes me proud to be human.  Alas, I am not in the area.  Just wanted to say thank you, anyway.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 19 Oct 2011, 02:27 am »
There are 3 pretty decent size regional airports that I use if you are willing to fly private to pick me up.

Well heck, gimme a sec to slap some more duck tape on the ol' Jenny's rudder and I kin set 'er down on yer driveway.  Bring a coat 'cause it's a mite cold up there in an open cockpit.

Seriously though, I agree completely about the measurements.  I'm still at the Rat Shack meter and spreadsheet stage, I really should upgrade to some decent software.  But even with just Excel you can click up a pretty good looking frequency response graph that is very useful. 

Jeffrey Hedback

• Industry Participant
  • Acoustical Design & Consulting
    • Acoustical Design & Consulting
« Reply #11 on: 19 Oct 2011, 12:25 pm »
Truly fantastic offer jwtrace!

In case you missed this in the RMAF bustle: last week Nyal Mellor and I published a white paper that is right on target of this discussion.  We worked very hard on this paper.  Feel free to utilize the reference chart as a report card so to speak.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99520.0

I look forward to seeing the data.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 19 Oct 2011, 03:17 pm »
Truly fantastic offer jwtrace!

In case you missed this in the RMAF bustle: last week Nyal Mellor and I published a white paper that is right on target of this discussion.  We worked very hard on this paper.  Feel free to utilize the reference chart as a report card so to speak.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99520.0

I look forward to seeing the data.

Jeffrey,

Thanks for the link.   :thumb:  I will read it as time allows. 

This http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86403.msg913119#msg913119 and the next page is really what got me really going on the measurements and opened my eyes and ears to what is REALLY happening in the room.  As you know, there is simply no way to setup a system properly without measuring.   :nono:  It still amazes me what people do instead of curing the most important part of the system.  The room! 

Sadly, it's easier for some to spend money on hardware then understanding what is happening.  That is why I've offered this.  Take a methoidical approach and you will get success.  It takes time, effort and a little bit of money.   :D