Album arts as background on BDP-1's user interface

HoaTran

Album arts as background on BDP-1's user interface
« on: 26 Sep 2011, 09:03 am »
hi James,

When logging into BDP-1's local network, before you make a choice to either use Max, Mini1, Mini2 interfaces, the background is tiled with squares of "Album Arts Go Here".  Is there a way to get your album artworks displayed in these tiles as background?

Thanks in advance.
Hoa

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Album arts as background on BDP-1's user interface
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2011, 10:30 am »
hi James,

When logging into BDP-1's local network, before you make a choice to either use Max, Mini1, Mini2 interfaces, the background is tiled with squares of "Album Arts Go Here".  Is there a way to get your album artworks displayed in these tiles as background?

Thanks in advance.
Hoa

yes - you have to assign a SCRATCH drive (must be attached and formatted FAT32) - under SETTINGS..... and then reboot - and then under SETTINGS - Add Album Art.

james

terrycym

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2011, 10:57 am »
If you decide to go for this feature and use a dedicated pen drive for album art (as I did), just be aware of the issues discussed in this thread:
"Album Art DB Locks Out Front Panel Controls"

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2011, 08:43 pm »
If you decide to go for this feature and use a dedicated pen drive for album art (as I did), just be aware of the issues discussed in this thread:
"Album Art DB Locks Out Front Panel Controls"

Hey James

Just thought you might want to post an update-the issue mentioned by terry is fixed in the S1.17 update

Chris

Marius

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2011, 08:48 pm »
Hi James, Chris,

Since the latest update was S1.16 2011-07-15: how to dl the S1.17? (I've been working like you know who, but can not get Albumart to display....)

Greets,
Marius

Hey James

Just thought you might want to post an update-the issue mentioned by terry is fixed in the S1.17 update

Chris

HoaTran

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2011, 03:04 pm »
So, I 'd need a separate usb (either thumb or hard disc) drive , go to setting and set a "scratch" drive for this??

terrycym

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2011, 03:08 pm »
That's what I did.
If you only have one drive though, I understand that you can format it with two partitions and use the smaller FAT32 partition as your scratch drive.

James, is this new update available yet? Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2011, 03:14 pm »
That's what I did.
If you only have one drive though, I understand that you can format it with two partitions and use the smaller FAT32 partition as your scratch drive.

James, is this new update available yet? Thanks.

You do not have to partition the drive.  There is a new October first software you can try - email me at jamestanner@bryston.com 

I am at the Toronto Show this week so I will try to send you when I get home.

james

HoaTran

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2011, 11:46 pm »
I cannot seem to be able to set up my BDP-1 to utilize this feature! 
Here is the step by step procedure I have tried and failed.  Please point me to the correct direction, because I very much want to make this feature work!

Ok, I'm using a 32 GB USB thumb drive to set this up.

1.  Hooked it up to my MacBookPro, and formatted it to MS-DOS (FAT32)
2.  Plugged that thumb drive to BDP-1, turned it on.
3.  After the BDP-1 finished booting up, went to "bryston-bdp-1.local"
4.  Chose "Setting", and in "Drive Information", all the 2 drives connected to the BDP-1 were recognized and listed there.
5.  Selected the USB thumb drive, then chose "Set Scratch Drive"
6.  The BDP1 prompted for a "Restart" , clicked OK
7.  After the BDP-1 finished restarting, I chose "Album Art DB" in "Setting".
8.  I then clicked on "Build Album DB".  The "Create DB Status lighted green for about 2, 3 minutes, then there're "codes" appeared in the window above the "Create DB Status" button.  In these "codes", there a lot of album's names & information, and I notice that the line " FAILED OPENED xxx.." appeared A LOT.

9.  Refreshing "bryston-bdp-1.local" and it did not show any album arts at all!

I tried this quite a few times with no success!    :scratch:

What did I do wrong here? 

Please advise!
Hoa

P.S  When I create playlist to play, albums with art covers shows correctly when chose "Current" or "current by album"  When the song is playing, album art appears correctly at the lower left corner, so I dont think there's any problem with the embedded album arts in my files.

Also, there's one time during one of these trials, this error message showed up:

NOT FOUND
the requested URL/shm/albumdb.log was not found on this server
Apache/2.2.16 (Debian) PHP/5.3.3-7+squeeze1 with Suhosin-Patch Server at bryston-bdp-1.local Port 80

Dont know what that means! :roll:

HoaTran

« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2011, 11:48 pm »
terrycym:

I believe you have set this up successfully using a dedicated thumb drive?

Could you please show me the step by step of how you did that, either in here or please email me if you prefer.  My email is tranthaihoa@cox.net

Thank you so much in advance.

Hoa

terrycym

« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2011, 06:21 am »
Hello Hoa,

You've done what I've done but it worked for me.
Sorry I can't help, it's now down to Bryston to help.
Over to you Chris?

Marius

« Reply #11 on: 29 Sep 2011, 07:05 am »
Same here, with a HDD. Tried everything (I think) but no album art, which I do see in the BrowserMAx interface.

I get this result:

Btw, James sent me the latest firmware, and that loaded fine. Al sorts of new stuff to investigate....especially the new MAx interface mimicking the BDP1 front panel, and radio-interface to shout cast and Icecast, which I don't yet got working ;-)

But coming back to this thread: no AlbumArt.

Greetings,
Marius
Hello Hoa,

You've done what I've done but it worked for me.
Sorry I can't help, it's now down to Bryston to help.
Over to you Chris?

terrycym

« Reply #12 on: 29 Sep 2011, 08:34 am »
I saw errors too.
I did report it but didn't get any replies regarding the errors.
I just started again. I think I may well have reformatted the pen drive too, I can't remember but it dd work eventually.
Other than a pretty background, I'm not sure what benefit it gives me.

I also noticed that the album artwork background did have a lot of the same pictures repeated many times (more than twice) which seemed odd.

Marius

« Reply #13 on: 29 Sep 2011, 09:01 am »
Sure its Eyecandy, but if it's supposed to work and it doesn't, it keeps triggering me to find out why..

Especially when we do the things the manual tells us to do. Hmm.
Back to work...

Marius

I saw errors too.
I did report it but didn't get any replies regarding the errors.
I just started again. I think I may well have reformatted the pen drive too, I can't remember but it dd work eventually.
Other than a pretty background, I'm not sure what benefit it gives me.

I also noticed that the album artwork background did have a lot of the same pictures repeated many times (more than twice) which seemed odd.

terrycym

« Reply #14 on: 29 Sep 2011, 09:20 am »
Same here, with a HDD. Tried everything (I think) but no album art, which I do see in the BrowserMAx interface.

I get this result:

Btw, James sent me the latest firmware, and that loaded fine. Al sorts of new stuff to investigate....especially the new MAx interface mimicking the BDP1 front panel, and radio-interface to shout cast and Icecast, which I don't yet got working ;-)

But coming back to this thread: no AlbumArt.

Greetings,
Marius
Presume you reloaded the browser afterwards?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 29 Sep 2011, 11:25 am »
I have no issues here with the album art as background - maybe we should remove it as it seems to be more trouble than its worth?? - strange?

james

Marius

« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2011, 11:31 am »
reloaded, restarted, even rebooted.

I have album art in all its technical possibilities and varieties. Embedded, album.jpg, folder.jpg cover.jpg etc etc. It won't show any of them. Must be something very simple I didn't find yet, I guess/hope.

James, I have only one HDD attached, and in the settings-pane I can select this little circle in front of it. Do I have to click  that, and if yes when? Not that it makes any difference for the AlbumArt thing, but what is it for?

Marius

Presume you reloaded the browser afterwards?

Marius

« Reply #17 on: 29 Sep 2011, 11:33 am »
no, don't remove it please, not yet....
Should be very nice to get it to work, though no major issue if it won't in the end, at least for me.

Greetings
Marius

I have no issues here with the album art as background - maybe we should remove it as it seems to be more trouble than its worth?? - strange?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 29 Sep 2011, 11:38 am »
reloaded, restarted, even rebooted.

I have album art in all its technical possibilities and varieties. Embedded, album.jpg, folder.jpg cover.jpg etc etc. It won't show any of them. Must be something very simple I didn't find yet, I guess/hope.

James, I have only one HDD attached, and in the settings-pane I can select this little circle in front of it. Do I have to click  that, and if yes when? Not that it makes any difference for the AlbumArt thing, but what is it for?

Marius

OK - the selected drive must be formatted FAT32 - click in the little round button ( it will show a dark inner circle when selected) and then it will ask you to reboot - do that - after reboot go to the Settings again and choose the add album art DB - then exit the settings page and restart the program and it should be there.  It may take a couple of minutes to load the art.

james

terrycym

« Reply #19 on: 29 Sep 2011, 11:49 am »
That's your issue Marius. Make sure that the circle to the left of the drive is clicked and goes black inside.
Then you click the button at the button to assign the scratch drive.
The BDP-1 needs to be told which drive to use.

It would work so much better for customers if the assign scratch drive button was greyed out until the customer selects a valid scratch drive.
Any chance of Chris/James looking at this?
A pretty easy modification in Visual C++ but I don't know which development framework is being used at Bryston.

Simple changes like this will greatly reduce calls to the service desk certainly in my s/w industry