Looking for a unique amplifier

kronos

Looking for a unique amplifier
« on: 20 Sep 2011, 03:29 am »
Hello,

I'm looking for  a tube amplifier that doesn't use the typical audiophile output tubes. I'm a detail junkie and want an amp that won't veil the sound. I've read that OTL amplifiers are extremely detailed. You mentioned you might design a transformer based circlotron tube amplifier.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Kronos

6L6PPP

Re: Looking for a unique amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2011, 12:36 pm »

Transformer based does not sound like OTL based assuming good designs for both. In fact, transformer designs don't sound alike depending on the output transformers and tubes used in the design. I have three OTL tube headamps and I definitely prefer the OTL tube headamps over any of my transformer coupled or hybrid headamp designs.

For speaker listening my favorite amp design has been the single ended pentode/ UL designs using 6L6s or their variants like the 807/ 6BG6GA or 6AR6WA with tube socket adapters .... or the push/pull EL84 designs like the ST35 Clone using a true phase splitter circuit. For solid state I used to like the Pass designs but I now prefer a well designed chip amp using the LM3886. OTLs are expensive, complicated with lots of heat for speaker use and for the most part you are limited to 6AS7/6080s or 6C33Cs.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/6bx7gt/1305910326.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/6bx7gt/1305910325.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/6bx7gt/Dads20camera20231.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/6bx7gt/Dads20camera20229.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/6bx7gt/Chipampfr.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/6bx7gt/Chipampinternal.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/6bx7gt/005-1.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/6bx7gt/lm3886x3003.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/6bx7gt/Picture0040-1.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/6bx7gt/093.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/6bx7gt/094-1.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/6bx7gt/001-1.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/6bx7gt/081.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/6bx7gt/079.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/6bx7gt/078.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/6bx7gt/076.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/6bx7gt/066.jpg

Hello,

I'm looking for  a tube amplifier that doesn't use the typical audiophile output tubes. I'm a detail junkie and want an amp that won't veil the sound. I've read that OTL amplifiers are extremely detailed. You mentioned you might design a transformer based circlotron tube amplifier.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Kronos

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2011, 01:29 pm »
A letter I wrote someone this morning about output transformers:

Here are some transformer facts:

Outputs that are __extremely__ linear can make an amp sound cold and
do not require feedback circuits as a rule. (OR extremely low FB)

If the output is moderately linear, it will sound more balanced and
will not require feedback with some speakers, but may with others. AKA: One electron

Outputs that are on the moderately non-linear side will have the most
tone variability/versatility with a variable feedback control. You
will have the most control over the sound of your amp. Edcor is a good
example.

Outputs that are fairly non-linear will provide a considerable amount
of warmth, but not overly so.

Very non-linear transformers will provide allot of warmth, reduce high
frequency response and limit bass.

I tend to use transformers that are moderately non-linear because they provide the widest tone range with our variable feedback circuit. In fact, the NS-40's output transformers are similar in tone to the Fisher 400C & 500C.

The SEP-16CS's are more like One Electron transformers. As a result, the feedback circuit has less influence.

Transformers are typically efficient and do the job of interfacing output tubes to the load extremely well. Transformerless designs are extremely inefficient and do have issues.

A circlotron is made like an OTL amplifier but is different because they use an output transformer. What's good about them: They have a low impedance primary and energy transfer is efficient. The bad: A complicated bipolar power supply that must be well balanced.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2011, 01:44 pm »
The best tubes for unveiled sound are actually common tubes. Here they are:

6V6, 6L6, KT88, 807, 6BG6G

An 807 and 6BG6G are similar and somewhat unique. I like them both tremendously for their durability and transparent sound quality.

Our SEP series with an upgrade to One Electron or 30 watt SE Hammond outputs are extremely revealing.

Hello,

Kronos

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2011, 07:55 pm »
Hello,

Kronos
Kronos:
Iam seeing myself in this your post. I do not like popular tubes as EL34/84, 6550, KT88/90 etc...
I like only 6C33 and GM70, most the GM70 because she is a Direct Heating with 20V/3Amp cathode and a big triode, capable os 20/30W in conservative Class A1, of course in Single Ended output.

Iam sure Niteshade can serve you well in these two wonderful valves, further yet with the exclusive features Nitehshade can offer:
= Tube, SolidState or pseudo SolidState rectification
= Variable Negative Feedback
= Two power on toggle switches, One for tubes heating, other for Plate, Hi Voltage/B+ for long tube life.
= If you want sink the resonance as a Teflon socket, you may use the top amp/tubes table in 10mm acrylic, in any colour you like...

If you do not like Teflon sockets for 6C33, allow me suggest a nice ceramic socket, with long life and it do not heat the tube;
http://www.gstube.com/photo/4850.jpg   the model name is PLK7-Collet around 7 euros each.
Good Luck

OBS.>: Of course hardwiring Point-to-Point is mandatory, and Niteshade made a nice job in this regards, as seen in the photos on others threads.
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2011, 11:15 pm by FULLRANGEMAN »

kronos

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2011, 02:30 am »
Thanks!  I appreciate your replies.  I'm going to call Niteshade tomorrow.

Kronos

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2011, 12:13 am »
One important reason why typical audio tubes, such as the 6L6 are recommended: It is easy to make output transformers for them. You can get a higher quality OPT per dollar for a 6L6, EL34 or any similar 6L6 style tube than with any other tube type. This goes for EL84's and 6V6's too.

RF tubes that require a B+ in the 1kv+ range are difficult to make outputs for due to their high inductance. A primary with high inductance will have unfavorable outcomes. Typically highs get washed out and mids become over stated. Bass will be decent, but not on par with a push-pull 6L6, KT88, etc.. amplifier. It is possible to overcome the issues of large RF tubes, but it is expensive.

Todd Krieger

« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2011, 07:32 am »
Kronos:
Iam seeing myself in this your post. I do not like popular tubes as EL34/84, 6550, KT88/90 etc...
I like only 6C33 and GM70, most the GM70 because she is a Direct Heating with 20V/3Amp cathode and a big triode, capable os 20/30W in conservative Class A1, of course in Single Ended output.

Iam sure Niteshade can serve you well in these two wonderful valves, further yet with the exclusive features Nitehshade can offer:
= Tube, SolidState or pseudo SolidState rectification
= Variable Negative Feedback
= Two power on toggle switches, One for tubes heating, other for Plate, Hi Voltage/B+ for long tube life.
= If you want sink the resonance as a Teflon socket, you may use the top amp/tubes table in 10mm acrylic, in any colour you like...

If you do not like Teflon sockets for 6C33, allow me suggest a nice ceramic socket, with long life and it do not heat the tube;
http://www.gstube.com/photo/4850.jpg   the model name is PLK7-Collet around 7 euros each.
Good Luck

OBS.>: Of course hardwiring Point-to-Point is mandatory, and Niteshade made a nice job in this regards, as seen in the photos on others threads.

Hi Kronos......

It's your audio friend............. :green:

I'd also be interested in a GM70 design.....  I did hear one amplifier (to remain nameless) with this tube, and I did notice the top was a little "closed in"......  If a transparent amplifier could be built around this tube, I'd really be interested.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2011, 12:38 pm »
There is a second reason why pentodes excel with audio applications: They require less circuitry. A pentode is an integrated circuit. IC's do not have to be made out of silicon or germanium. The term "integrated" means the package contains more than one component to enhance it's function and reduce external support components.

True, a pentode is not even an Op-Amp. However, it is a triode amplifier that has an additional amplification stage built in. The additional components of a pentode increase the tube's gain in the most practical, efficient manner possible. This is indeed better than having a power triode with another triode behind it to boost the gain. In fact, many designs that use power triodes use a pentode to boost the gain! Where is the sense in that to obtain 8-50 watts output, depending on the triode used? If all someone needs is 8-50 watts per channel, a pentode design is superior.

Now- if you want 150 to 500 watts/channel, a power triode design using something like 572B's is a great idea. This power level is where large triodes become practical AND believe it or not, do not cost much more to make than their wimpy low powered cousins with complicated, fidelity robbing circuits.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2011, 09:49 pm »
One important reason why typical audio tubes, such as the 6L6 are recommended: It is easy to make output transformers for them. You can get a higher quality OPT per dollar for a 6L6, EL34 or any similar 6L6 style tube than with any other tube type. This goes for EL84's and 6V6's too.

RF tubes that require a B+ in the 1kv+ range are difficult to make outputs for due to their high inductance. A primary with high inductance will have unfavorable outcomes. Typically highs get washed out and mids become over stated. Bass will be decent, but not on par with a push-pull 6L6, KT88, etc.. amplifier. It is possible to overcome the issues of large RF tubes, but it is expensive.
Hi Niteshade,
Interesting post. As I like 6C33 and GM70, I wish ask you:

1) In a imaginary amp, as Niteshade SET 6C33(15W) or GM70(25W), as the 6C33 tube had a low B+ around 200Volts and output tube impedance of 70 to 120 ohms.  I imagine, in this case the 6C33 has a sound quality much better than the GM70, or not??

I store 6C33 and GM70 tubes, but had no info about what is the best sound quality for a SET to drive a Alpha15A/B200 OB panel.  The 6C33 output Trafos are plenty on the market, and had a low primary impedance as 600, or 1000 or 1500 ohms.
Thanks in advance,
Gustavo

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2011, 12:16 am »
The 6C33C is an interesting tube, have to admit! How good of an amp can be made with it? That will take some research. The GM70 is a nice tube as well and falls into the high impedance extreme instead of the low and would make a very good tube for a push-pull or single ended parallel amplifier. I don't like it simply for single ended, single tube applications.

A good RF tube for SE applications is the 813 pentode. It would reduce construction costs (a little) and provide that "big bottle" sound.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2011, 09:10 pm »
OK, Very Thanks.   The GM70 had a Pentode version called GK71, with top plate cap, just under 14 euros/each.
http://www.gstube.com/photo/1364.jpg
I never listen a big Triode, how is exactly the Big Triode sound, I suspect the bass is big and ...??
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2011, 11:02 pm by FULLRANGEMAN »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2011, 09:29 pm »
I found some tips to 6C33 amp construction:
About the 6C33 warm-up times:
Warm-up time to 90% emission= 120 seconds
Minimum warm-up time is 120 seconds
Warm-up time to steady state = 600 seconds
6C33 TIME LIFE:
At 50% stress it is virtually indefinite, at 95% it is in the few months category.
It would help if you could quote the plate voltage and plate current that is seen by the tubes.
Plate voltage is the DC voltage measured if you put one probe on the plate and the other on the cathode. To measure plate or bias current, you most likely would have to measure the voltage drop across a cathode resistor, if one is present. Then calculate the current using Ohm's Law. Sorry, if you already know all this. In my amps, the 6C33Cs see about 42W plate dissipation (plate voltage X plate current), and the tubes last for years.

I think they are rated or 60W max. They get blazing hot, no matter what, due to the filaments. This causes trouble with the tube socket. You might want to check out your tube sockets, if you determine that you are operating the tubes within safe limits and still getting rapid failures.
The tube is rated 60W, at 45W(the tube not the amp) steady state plate dissipation you can expect years of service. When your stress gets into 55W or so, expect months. Some tubes will start losing their getters fast at power at levels approaching 60W.

At Qa of 45W or less, and proper decoupling (unbypassed current distribution resistors in
anode and catode line of valves operated in parallel, as specified in the data sheet) they can last many thousand hours (> 5k). Not taking these measures (operate at or near 60W, not using the resistors when putting them in parallel), and they may only last a few tens of hours even if matched, as the stronger of the set hogs all the current and gets used up early.
Same goes for bad contacts and cheap sockets - they have killed many a 6S33S-V...

6C33 Survival Guide
The 6C33C has only one equivalent: 6C18C. The 6C18C is an early version of 6C33C, might be used as drop-in replacement. The 6C18C is very good tube, in some instances is better sounding then 6C33C but in my experience the 6C18C has a large percentage of faulty tubes. Among fifteen new 6C18C that I used 5 of them were discarded immediately due to the pins shortage, 2 of the “good” tubes failed a few hours after they were heated and one of the surviving failed in a few month when it was subjected to shaking. In contrary the 6C33C is very reliable; among 60-70 tubes that I have burned I had only one that was defective.

So, here is goes my “6C33C Survival Guide”:
1) A new 6C33C has pins cover with something that I call “white shit”. I have no idea what it is, perhaps some solidified oil or paraffin. Anyhow it should be scrubbed out before you use 6C33C for a first time. If you do not clean up the “white shit” from the pins then it will short the lifespan of your 6C33C tube socket

2) There are six 6C33C tube sockets (ordered from worst to the best)

a) Chinese Ceramic   (worts)
    b) Russian Plastic
    c) Russian Ceramic
    d) Russian Exotic (with side handles = PL3-1pD37 at GSTube)
    e) American Johnson
    f) Japanese Exotic    (best)

Each of them works fine but the best sockets will last longer. The Chinese sockets will die after 1-1.5 year  of heavy use and generally it is a good idea to replace a new 6C33C right along with replace of the tube socket. The American sockets might last for years and the Japanese socket where pins hold by a full cylinder might last for a near a life-time

3) The 6C33C tube sockets should be mounted at well ventilated location with nothing closer to the tube then ~ 2-3 inches. Out of chassis mount is highly advisable, but if the in-chassis mount use then punch necessary holes to crated natural air-convention or use forced cooling.

4) The Filaments should use AC. The filaments wires should be 16ga or larger. The wires to the socket’s leads should be soldered with high temperature solder.

5) If forces air use then do not cool down tube but cool down tube socket.

6) 6C33C should be used with fixed bias only. If you feel that in your amplifier 6C33C sounds better with automatic of semi automatic bias then ether you are in a strong need to perform a lobotomy  over your reference point of your amplifier is a piece of crap to begin with.

7) Biasing resistor that goes to the 6C33C grid should be the best possible quality and has value less than 100K.

8) The multi-turn precession attenuator that sets up you 6C33C’s bias should be also very high quality.

9) The 6C33C bias supply lines are very critical for 6C33C’s sound; even the proximity to the ground of the negative bias wire is auditable. Use transmission line techniques to set up that line.

10)  Although the 6C33C marked for 60W plate dissipation and some of them will care even more with no problem still made for yours an absolute rule: the maximum plate dissipation of 6C33C is 50W, with recommended plate dissipation 40-45W for
a full tube and 30-35W of a half tube.

11)  The half 6C33C sound better then a whole 6C33C, the half 6C33C sound 30000 times better than one 6C41C.

12)  Set up proper operational parameter for your 6C33C. The proper operational point will be the properly of your plate load, type of acoustic system you use and a few ther factors. Still, with all things considered your 6C33C should experience power
clipping by current and by voltage at the SAME time.

13) Generally look for 180-210V on 6C33C’s plate and 180-230mA of plate current for a full 6C33C. still, the paragraph above(#12) should be denominating rule

14) The 6C33C has HUGE inconsistency of parameters when it is new, so huge that it is impossible to measure the tube in order to determine how much of cathode emission left or what mutual conductance would be is. The only possibility with such inconsistency of new parameters is to monitor how the parameters were changed for a given tube.

15) Make bias supply available from minus 50V to minus 120V

16) Generally the signs of the 6C33C dying are (in case the tube still operates properly):

a) Appearance from time to time mechanically sounding loud “ping” through loudspeaker
      b) The tube’s getter loosing it’s gloss
      c) Change of bias voltage more than 50%
      d) Tube is used over one year in amplifier that works dally
      e) Too small amplitude of “start up gap” (more about it later)

Since the tube is dirt cheap ($5 in Russia) it is advisable to replace the 6C33C each yeas or what the above mentioned effects show up.

17)  All 6C33C have different gain.  Gain of 6C33C is the only parameters that should be matched. If you have 3 of those tubes on a row with the same gain then you are incredibly lucky and you should stop play with your amplifier and should become a stock broker.

18)  When a well worked 6C33C starts in your amp the filaments should be pre-burn for =>2 minutes.

19) Do not apply a signal that would exceed more than ¼ of class A1 to a “cold” 6C33C. The 6C33C stops become “cold” ONLY AFTER 30-40 minutes of burning by its cruise plate currant (I call it “Hot Mode”). Practically it means that you should not play your 6C33C amps too loud for the first half hour, particularly if you have low sensitively loudspeakers of too large listening room.

20) When 6C33C start with none-regulated power supply then it has the “start up gap”. The voltage is higher than cruise plate voltage and the current is lower. With time, when the plate current hits up the tube the voltage drops and the current raises to it references cruise values. Usually a worked 6C33C reaches its 95% of cruise current within 10 minutes.

21) Use the 6C33C “start up gap” to monitor the life cycle of 6C33C. If your cruise current is 220mA then a worn 6C33C might start at 200mA and then within 10 minutes reach 220mA. A newer tube will start at 150mA and then within 10 minutes reach 220mA.

22) When you take as brand new tube, then heat it’s filaments up for 2 minutes and start the amp with 20mA on plate. In 10-15 minutes the plate current will rise to 150mA – let it be this way.  Burn the tune for another 3-6 hours with 100mA-150mA and then consider it ready to be use at full power.

23) Violation of proper pre-heating rules and application excessive grid current to “cold” 6C33C lead to overheating of anode.
 Once anode was overheated it will have tendency to be more susceptible to overheating in this tube. A properly pre-burned tube, running “Hot Mode”, with fix bias and in class A1 is absolutely indestructible and perfectly thermo-stabilized.

24) It is advisable once a 6 moths to inspect the 6C33C’ filaments pins for the sights of corona, partially if your use not American trapezoid tube sockets buy Russian and Chinaise triangular sockets. It worth also, if you have nothing else to do, once as 6 month to listed the balloon of cold 6C33C with juts applied filaments voltage with a stethoscope. A present of corona on the filament’ pins will, sound like a very light buzzing.

25)  Keep, power supply impedance that drives 6C33C as low and you can.

That is all that I have atop of my mind. Properly used 6C33C is truly a problem-free tube with opportunity to have excellent sound if it is appropriately used in amplifier. So, I was disappointed with moronic myths that audio people invent about this tube and to
address that stupid audio-prejudicial folklore I have put together that “6C33C Survival Guide”.

It is good that Srajan do not write about sound anymore, whenever he did it appeared to me as it was delirious blabbering, so it is better Srajan do not even touch sound and do his “reviews” as extended new reports. His is much better for this.

So, the polish 6C33C amp with the Srajan’s 6-mooning and repent the manufacture comments. I do not agree with everything that manufacture said, some if his comment even sounds even idiotic but generally it a not complitly wasted educational read about 6C33C, if you care about the tube.
Rgs, Romy the caT

« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2011, 11:03 pm by FULLRANGEMAN »

6L6PPP

« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2011, 11:19 pm »
Nice post .... everything you always wanted to know about the 6C33. :thumb:

Ever tried using the heaters wired in series to cut down the huge heater current demand and heat???

Ever tried to tube at 12.6 volts .... again to cut down heater current demand and heat???

Ever tried the  6c33 push /pull ....  with one tube  per side???

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #14 on: 24 Sep 2011, 11:26 pm »
fullrangeman, i got about halfway thru the 6c33c "survival guide", and i thought to myself: "this must be the work of romy the cat".  i saw at the end of your post i was correct.   :lol:  i know he is a big fan of this tube, as is balanced audio technology, audio mirror, and lamm, among others.

doug s.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 25 Sep 2011, 01:05 am »
DOUG:
The ''6C33 TIME LIFE'' came from Mr.Victor Khomenko.

6L6PPP:
I also would like to know these details, unfortunately I not a tech guy in electronics.
Cheers

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #16 on: 25 Sep 2011, 03:00 am »
DOUG:
The ''6C33 TIME LIFE'' came from Mr.Victor Khomenko.
ah yes, the man from b.a.t.

doug s.