Guilty Pleasures

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Guilty Pleasures
« on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:39 pm »
Ever since I was a child I've loved listening to the radio in bed.  It seemed like a glimpse into another world when I was pretending to be asleep with my little battery operated portable AM radio. 
Then my parents would come in and tell me to turn it off and go to sleep and that was the end of that.
This weekend I put together a grouping of Harman Kardon gear right above the bed which sounds pretty darned good.  It's not the greatest but it's not the worst thing you'll ever hear, either. 

From left to right there's my 25 dollar special, the MIGHTY PM640 integrated amp, an HD7600II CD player whcih I won in a karma on another site (and this is a nice piece), a Stax SRD-7 adaptor for the headphones, an old F50XK tube tuner and then there's AKG 701 headphones and Stax Sigmas. 

To say that these two headphones are at opposite ends of the sonic spectrum is putting it mildly.  The Sigmas have very weak highs but are very relaxing whereas the 701s are very detailed but are not so much fun in the long run.
I need to get a real power conditioner, hook the tuner up to the roof antenna and I'm thinking of updating to a later HK integrated to match the CD player.
The wife hasn't seen this yet.  I wonder how this one will go over?
They're kind of like me, they're rather handsome in the dark...

richidoo

Re: Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2011, 05:01 pm »
My wife would say, "That better not fall on my head!"

Looking good Steve!  I have 701s also, and agree with your characterization. I like my Shure 530 in-ears better.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2011, 06:18 pm »
Yes, I shall have to downplay the Head Dent Factor - that would not go over well.
There's a raised footer on the bed (maybe a foot or so) and I'm thinking that would be the perfect place for a hinged Mini Maggie System.   Flip 'em up (and lock into place) to listen, unlock and swing them down to turn it into a normal bed so you can walk around without banging into them.
I can write up a little article and sell it to Hugh Hefner to cover the cost of the speakers!  Maybe I can get sponsorship from Serta and Kimber Kable, too...

mjcmt

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2011, 07:57 pm »
Ever since I was a child I've loved listening to the radio in bed.

I love fm radio in bed too. Quite often my wife and I listen to jazz, world music, and classical radio to relax before falling asleep. We had a nice vintage system a one time in the bedroom, but now only use the Bose alarm clock/radio. I'd like to get a discrete system like a Linn Classik Music for this purpose.

Brett Buck

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2011, 06:31 pm »
I love fm radio in bed too. Quite often my wife and I listen to jazz, world music, and classical radio to relax before falling asleep. We had a nice vintage system a one time in the bedroom, but now only use the Bose alarm clock/radio. I'd like to get a discrete system like a Linn Classik Music for this purpose.

Don't overlook the possibilities of an FM table radio. The king of the hill as far as sound quality goes is the Zenith C845/H845/X337 and they are pretty inexpensive, use common and cheap tubes (although I have never had to replace a tube in one of them), and are easy to refurbish. A second alternative would be a Zenith K731, which is similar in audio quality and is less, uh, radical, as far as the styling goes. Operating properly, they are absolutely outstanding as far as sound quality goes, approaching some of the best late-50s German radios at a fraction of the cost. They also have very superior sensitivity, much better than the average stereo tuner or receiver. They're mono but that just makes the signal/noise better. I like the Zenith H845 much better than the Tivoli Model One or Two, and it blows the Bose Wave out of the water, not even close. 

Brett