Over the Top Rythmik / GR Research Sub

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Over the Top Rythmik / GR Research Sub
« on: 2 Sep 2011, 11:53 pm »
The box is designed and built by me, a cabinetmaker turned remodeling contractor. The amp and driver design is the brainchild of Danny Richie of GR Research and Brian Ding of Rythmik Audio. I started a thread about this when the idea was gestating. You can find the saga here:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84765.0

As is sometimes the case with my  projects, the further I get into them,  the more I lavish on in terms of ultimate function, sometimes this extends into the cosmetics, as well. This is one of those projects.

My goal was to make the deadest box possible without getting into ridiculously exotic material. To control resonance, the “core” structure is built with MDF in two different thicknesses and Baltic Birch plywood in three different thicknesses. All assembly was done with polyurethane “thick” glue.  Super strong but has a somewhat flexible glue line. This has a slight decoupling effect on the individual pieces. The amp is separated from the driver compartment to ameliorate any effects from the internal pressure or vibration.

This alone would have made a very dead box, but I added a “wrap” of sand to absorb cabinet vibration. After that came the 2 1/4” sides and 1” top and bottom. Yep, it’s heavy. The end result of all this is nothing…that’s right, the box contributes nothing of its own to what is being fed to the driver. Irony at its best!

Time spent on this project was considerable…over 180 hours to build  four of them plus a bunch of time futzing around with the copper gilding to evaluate feasibility.  So here’s the deal; I built four, I’m keeping the gilded one and perhaps another. I’ve got two in primer and the one pictured ready for No Rez, amp and driver. 

If you’d like the completed box (black with gold sides shown in the thread and pictured here) it’s gonna cost you $1800. There are a couple of minor blemishes on this one which I’ll attribute to learning and am discounting because of it.

If you’d like something different, I can finish one or both of the two currently in primer with base coat/ clear coat urethane, your choice on color. Fine sanded and polished  like the picture. Price tag will be $2000 ‘cuz the learning’s behind me now :) I can mount driver and amp if you'd like.

If you’d like to have it shipped, I can build a bullet proof shipping crate, but weight will necessitate truck freight.

This is getting pretty long winded, so if you're hankerin' to own a gorgeous, no compromise sub and would like more pictures, info, or whatever, pm me your phone # and I’ll be happy to call and talk to you because I type slow!

« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2014, 06:13 am by Peter J »

narkleptic

Re: Over the Top Rythmik / GR Research Sub
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2011, 12:09 am »
Wow!
That is gorgeous. I wish I could afford this right now  :duh:

where are you located??

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2011, 12:43 am »
Wow!
That is gorgeous. I wish I could afford this right now  :duh:

where are you located??

Thanks, I'm in Boise, ID

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2011, 12:46 am »
Peter, can you give me the rough dimensions of it??

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2011, 12:56 am »
Peter, can you give me the rough dimensions of it??

21"wide, 25"deep, 22" high. I assume you're looking at how much listening room  real estate it would take up. Shipping crate would be considerably bigger.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2011, 03:02 am »
It looks bigger than that in the picture to me and I wanted to make sure I was lusting after the proper sized sub...LOL :thumb:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2011, 03:06 am »
Gorgeous work at a great price. Very fine, Peter.   :thumb:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #7 on: 13 Sep 2011, 10:07 pm »
Bump...

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 13 Sep 2011, 10:52 pm »
Absolutely beautiful work.  It's amazing how many people on Audio Circle have such talent and knowledge!!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2011, 12:53 am »
No takers so far, so I thought I'd open the door to trades/partial trades. I'd be open to a higher power integrated, maybe a pre and/or amp, Dodd buffer or dang near anything that's interesting to me.

Fact is, I like electronic gear in all flavors, so if you've got an itch for a killer sub and anything you'd like to trade, might as well bounce it off me... I'm easy going. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Computer gear, tools, audio stuff, cars, furniture, military surplus, fashion forward clothing... Ok, no clothing, but outside of that, I'll listen. Surprise me! Worst I can say is no thanks  :wink:

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2011, 03:19 am »
PM sent

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2015, 11:57 pm »
I'm resurrecting this ad because it's kinda the same thing all over again...with differences  :roll:

I had two of these in primer that sat in my shop for several years until I decided to reclaim the real estate. I went ahead and finished  them so at least they're closer to completion and hopefully make a swingin' deal for someone in the market. What I'm offering here is boxes only, you'd need to add an amp from Rythmik, and some no-rez and a 12" driver from Danny @ GR Research.

The cost of two stage automotive urethanes and time to cut and polish really drives the price up, so I opted to finish these a little differently. The sides are wrapped in 3M Di-Noc carbon fiber vinyl...considered the most realistic of the faux wraps. The rest was finished with a textured finish then clear coated with pre-cat lacquer.

They are complete except for the items mentioned. If you're interested, the original ad has more detail, plus the linked build thread might be of interest.

Here's the pitch; If someone were to commission me to build these today, I'd need to get at least $1000 per box to make anything on the deal...it's my living. I just want to see them go away and recapture something for my efforts and material. $500 buys a box from me, another $600 or so for amp, driver and no-rez, put it together and you've got a world class sub that has few peers.

Shipping's on buyer or you can pick up in Boise, ID. You always wanted to visit Boise...right? If coerced, I may be convinced to build a bomb-proof crate, but it'll take me some time...I'm swamped with work right now.