REVIEW OF THE NEW 600R AMP

I.Greyhound Fan

REVIEW OF THE NEW 600R AMP
« on: 22 Aug 2011, 01:49 am »
Ok, here it is-

First let me take this opportunity to thank Mr. Frank Van Alstine for being so gracious and allowing me the privilege to do an in home audition of this wonderful amp.  And for all the other times he let me take home equipment.

Now for the review-

Equipment used-

AVA 600R power amp
AVA Ultra II preamp and Ultra II DAC
Modified Music Hall 25.2 CDP as a transport
Magnepan QR 1.6 speakers
Cables by Blue Jeans

I will list the music played at the end.

This amp is nothing short of spectacular.  When we first hooked it up, my 20yr old budding audiophile son and I noticed that it was a huge improvement over my Parasound A21(which strengths are dynamics,detail, bass, sound stage and transparency) and the FET Valve 550 that we auditioned a couple of years ago.  It was quite apparent that this is a special amp.  First off, the sound stage seemed to extend well past the walls of my 17'x17'x10' room.  The transparency of the sound seemed to have an almost holographic feel to it.  The spacing of the instruments was phenomenal.  I had to keep reminding myself that I was not listening to SACD's.  Even compressed older recordings like Fleetwood Mac opened up and became uncompressed with air and transparency.  Vocals and instruments were so life like that if you closed your eyes you got the feeling that Eva Cassady, Hope Sanduval of Mazzy Star or Johnny Hartman and John Coltrane were singing or playing in front of you.

The amp really showed its colors with classical music.  The quiet passages just sounded better and were more involving and the amp handled dynamic passages effortlessly.  The amp has great pace and rhythm.  The sound was grain free and the clarity, resolution and detail were on par with the $10,000 Ayres amp that I heard a couple of years ago and was better than my friend's $5,000 Nuforce Model 9se monoblocks.  Bass is powerful, smooth, deep crisp and well controlled.  It was the first time that I have heard my Magnepans produce that nice bass thump that you get with cone drivers.  Treble was natural and life like.  In fact, my son who plays the Sax in band commented that the amp produced the most life like cymbals that he has ever heard and I have to agree.  People who have heard my system have always commented on how life like the sound was but with this amp the music was eerily life like.  You get the feeling that you are sitting in the front row of an orchestra.

My only criticism if you want to call it that was that I had to do some tube rolling in my DAC and Preamp.  I use 6CG7 amprex in my Preamp and Tong Sols in my DAC which produce a slightly warmer sound with my Parasound, but with the 600R the sound leaned just a hint on the bright side with slight sibilance.  But once I switched to RCA clear tops in the Pre and DAC the amp was completely neutral with no real sound of its own.  But thats the beauty of tubes.  They sound different with different equipment and you can roll them to get the sound that you want.

So would I buy this amp?  Absolutely, it performs well above its price point just as all AVA gear does.  It is certainly on par or better than all of the amps that I have heard ( Ayres, Bryston, Theta, Luxman, Belle's, Nuforce, Parasound, Adcom, Jolida, Plinnius, Classe and MacIntosh ).

Music used for the reivew-

Anouar Braham-The Astounding Eyes of Rita
Groove Note-True Audiophile, The Best of Groove Note
Eva Cassidy- Simply Eva
Cowboy Junkies- Whites Off Earth Now
Carmen-50kHz Master Transfer to DSD
Acoustic Flakes- Kazumi Wantanabe
Mighty Sam McClain
The XX
Patricia Barber- Cafe Blue
Mazzy Star- Among My Swan
Muddy Waters- Folk Singer
Keith Jarrett- The Melody At Night With You
John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman
Anna Colvin- Anna Colvin
Fleetwood Mac- The Very Best of
Blue Spec CD- Classic Selection
Boxer Rebellion
The Best Audiophile voices- XRCD24
Eric Clapton- Unplugged
Frank Sinatra and several other artists.
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2011, 11:34 pm by I.Greyhound Fan »

Charles Calkins

Re: REVIEW OF THE NEW 600R AMP
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2011, 02:13 am »
Ok, here it is-

First let me take this opportunity to thank Mr. Frank Van Alstine for being so gracious and allowing me the privilege to do an in home audition of this wonderful amp.  And for all the other times he let me take home equipment.

Anouar Braham-The Astounding Eyes of Rita
Groove Note-True Audiophile, The Best of Groove Note
Eva Cassidy- Simply Eva
Cowboy Junkies- Whites Off Earth Now
Carmen-50kHz Master Transfer to DSD
Acoustic Flakes- Kazumi Wantanabe
Mighty Sam McClain
The XX
Patricia Barber- Cafe Blue
Mazzy Star- Among My Swan
Muddy Waters- Folk Singer
Keith Jarrett- The Melody At Night With You
John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman
Anna Colvin- Anna Colvin
Fleetwood Mac- The Very Best of
Blue Spec CD- Classic Selection
Boxer Rebellion
The Best Audiophile voices- XRCD24
Eric Clapton- Unplugged
Frank Sinatra and several other artists.

A very nice selection of good music to listen to and compare with the other audio gear you have. Next time You are shopping for an album I highly recommend "Eva Cassidy Live at Blues alley" If you like "Simply Eva" Live at Blues Alley will knock your socks off!!

Oh and by the way. Great and honest review of the 600R amp.

Cheers
                                        Charlie

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2011, 02:24 am »
Hi Charlie,  I have that Eva Cassidy CD as well as a few others.  I used Live at Blue's Alley to review the amp as well.  To be fair, I used a mix or RR, Blue's, Jazz, Classical, Acoustic and Vocal music.  Most were great recordings, Hybrid SACD's and XRCD's but I threw in some poorly recorded music as well.

I would like to add one more comment.  When I heard the Amp at Franks house on his system with the Salk HTR-3 speakers, it did not sound bright or sibilant at all.  It was neutral sounding.  But we are comparing $1800/pr Magnepans with a $6,000/pr Salks.  Plus my listening room is a square with wood floors and lots or big windows.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2011, 03:37 am by I.Greyhound Fan »

martyo

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2011, 09:03 am »
Thanks for the excellent review Larry. Sounds like a special piece of gear. And your review was going along just fine until you brought up the HT3's, now I have to just considering an amp upgrade too. :lol:

Way to go Frank :thumb:  Again!  8)

Charles Calkins

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2011, 10:59 am »

I would like to add one more comment.  When I heard the Amp at Franks house on his system with the Salk HTR-3 speakers, it did not sound bright or sibilant at all.  It was neutral sounding.  But we are comparing $1800/pr Magnepans with a $6,000/pr Salks.  Plus my listening room is a square with wood floors and lots or big windows.

Cheers!
   Larry:
  I heard the Salk/Van Alstine system at the Cal. audio show last month. Great sounding system. But I think no matter what audio gear is used to drive the salk's they will always have a warm sound. No matter which room they are in. Never bright or sibilint. They are just built that way.

Cheers
                                                Charlie

martyo

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2011, 11:39 am »
Charlie, there's no way I would describe any of the Salks I have heard as warm. I know Jim or Dennis wouldn't. They certainly aren't bright or sibilant either. I had mixed feelings when I first got the HT3's because I had been so used to warm speakers. But over time I heard what the "warm" had been covering up and smearing. I think the word for the Salks is neutral. You hear everything upstream. The coloration of warmth is not part of the Salk "sound". In my not so humble opinion. (That's why some folks don't like them)  8) 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2011, 12:01 pm »
Having used the Accuton C-79 in my DIY speakers I too would describe them as "warm".

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2011, 12:02 pm »
I hope Frank sends one to Jim so I can borrow it. :green:

avahifi

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2011, 12:05 pm »
Thanks for the thoughtful review, Larry.  We are certainly glad that you hear the Fet Valve 600R amplifier the same way we do.

Regarding the overall sound of the Salk HT3 speakers, we would suggest that they certainly are not "warm" sounding.  In fact, we would have rated them as being slightly bright sounding when used with earlier versions of our electronics even a couple of years ago.  The HT3s are just amazingly transparent and revealing speakers and will definitely tell you if there is something less than perfect with your driving electronics.  We feel that when we got our electronics to be really right, we have been rewarded by the HT3 speakers and thus Jim Salk confirming that by his speaker design.

Of course Jim himself was really astonished with the 600R amp at the recent California Audio Show and happily drove his Soundscape 10 speakers with all his most difficult material effortlessly at the show. Jim's own Fet Valve amplifier is at our shop now for the 600R upgrade.

Thanks again.

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2011, 01:12 pm »
Web link to our astonishing new Fet Valve 400R and 600R amplifiers.

http://avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=108&Itemid=210

Lead time to build you a new 400R or 600R right now or upgrade any older Fet Valve amp is 4-6 weeks.

Price:  400R $2549,  600R  $2949,  upgrade any older Fet Valve amp in AVA chassis $1500.  Return shipping anywhere in the continental USA  $45.

30 day satisfaction guarantee on new units, three year parts and labor warranty.

Enjoy!!!

Frank Van Alstine