New Drivers, Danny anything cooking?

HT cOz

New Drivers, Danny anything cooking?
« on: 3 Aug 2011, 11:11 pm »
Danny there has been some talk of an 8" servo woofer. Any news on that?

Is there anything else cooking in your shop?

Cheers
Robert

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: New Drivers, Danny anything cooking?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2011, 03:01 am »
My vote would be for a Super V2 - 8 inch coax with OB tweeter and 8 inch servo subs.  That would be bad@ss.

persisting1

« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2011, 03:28 am »
My vote would be for a Super V2 - 8 inch coax with OB tweeter and 8 inch servo subs.  That would be bad@ss.

+1

That would be badass  :icon_twisted:

Voiceray

« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2011, 01:44 pm »
+1

That would be badass  :icon_twisted:

I found this by Danny.  Maybe this will help.

* Facilitator

Does anybody have any updates on the 8 inch servo drivers?

finally in production this week.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2011, 03:03 pm »
There was one slight delay. We had to have them change the terminals and where they mounted to the frame so that they would fit through the mounting hole.

Yep, the ONLY long throw 8" woofer on the market that is designed for open baffle applications and is servo controlled.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2011, 03:13 pm »
Nice.

How much will these go for?

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2011, 03:15 pm »
New 6.5" woofers are also under development that are designed for open baffle applications. It's basically a new super woofer with the best of the best in all areas.

It uses the same polymer frame as the M-165X, and will use a paper cone. But instead of a 26mm voice coil, it has a 44mm voice coil. It also has a Copper phase plug and Copper shorting rings. It will use the XBL^ motor and a Neo magnet. I will have 8 ohm and 16 ohm versions made, and they are specifically designed for open baffle applications.

These will also be the only woofers of their kind on the market.

The first sample didn't look bad, but has a few issues to work out and improve. Don't hold your breath on this one. This kind of development work takes a little time. I am shooting for something before the end of the year.

Also in the works is a tweeter with a wave guide.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2011, 03:17 pm »
Nice.

How much will these go for?

You'll have to wait until all the shipping cost, duty, brokerage and all that stuff gets figured out. Don't worry. It will be a good price.

Bear

« Reply #8 on: 4 Aug 2011, 04:24 pm »

an abbey killer that does not require a wait time of nearly a year?

wgallupe

« Reply #9 on: 4 Aug 2011, 05:05 pm »
Yep, the ONLY long throw 8" woofer on the market that is designed for open baffle applications and is servo controlled.

Hi Danny, Could these be used in a sealed enclosure? 

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 4 Aug 2011, 05:08 pm »
Hi Danny, Could these be used in a sealed enclosure? 

Actually there are also some being made just like them but for a sealed enclosures (lower Qts). So no problem.

Marbles

« Reply #11 on: 4 Aug 2011, 06:21 pm »
Any 10 inchers in the works?

HT cOz

« Reply #12 on: 4 Aug 2011, 07:26 pm »
Very interesting news.  Could these new drivers make something like an OB7 but with an OB base section?  or are they all steps toward the OB Line Array?

DeeJayBump

« Reply #13 on: 4 Aug 2011, 08:22 pm »
Nice.

Would those new 6.5" drivers for open baffle be for your iteration of the speakers formerly known as the X-otica and X-optimas?

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 4 Aug 2011, 08:31 pm »
Nice.

Would those new 6.5" drivers for open baffle be for your iteration of the speakers formerly known as the X-otica and X-optimas?

I do have some really good new designs in mind using these new woofers, and they just may very well bare those names.

DeeJayBump

« Reply #15 on: 4 Aug 2011, 09:13 pm »
I do have some really good new designs in mind using these new woofers, and they just may very well bare those names.

Awesome. Realistic time frame for these to be available would be late 2011-early 2012, then?

tesseract

« Reply #16 on: 4 Aug 2011, 10:59 pm »

This.   :bounce:

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #17 on: 5 Aug 2011, 12:17 am »
Danny, on the 8" servos, a few questions:

I'm assuming they are using the same servo amps you have available now, or are you developing something else to go with them?

How many of them can be connected to a single amp?

To get people's heads (and sketchup ;)) turning, optimal sealed box volume per woofer?  Cutout and ideal front baffle dimensions?

Will these play flat to 20Hz like the 12" drivers, just with less output, or do they roll off higher up?

On a completely different track, how did any of the designs for the NEO-10 driver come out?  Any news on that front?

Thanks again for all the hard work!  It is fun following along how your stuff keeps evolving.

HT cOz

« Reply #18 on: 5 Aug 2011, 12:31 am »
For a smaller room like mine those 8" sealed subs would be awesome. What size cabinet will they need? 

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 5 Aug 2011, 03:30 am »
Awesome. Realistic time frame for these to be available would be late 2011-early 2012, then?

Late 2011 on the 6.5" woofers if all goes well.

I'm assuming they are using the same servo amps you have available now, or are you developing something else to go with them?

New amps are being developed for these.

How many of them can be connected to a single amp?

The impedance of the OB version will allow as many as three on one amp.

For the sealed box version we are looking at modular amps that will allow more amps to be added (an amp for each woofer) while using the same controller.

To get people's heads (and sketchup ) turning, optimal sealed box volume per woofer?  Cutout and ideal front baffle dimensions?

Not yet.

The version designed for sealed box is being brought in by Rythmik Audio. We are sharing the cost of the first shipment and ordering 200 units of each version.

Will these play flat to 20Hz like the 12" drivers, just with less output, or do they roll off higher up?

Keep in mind that the roll off and range that they cover is determined by the settings on the amp. They can do anything that you want them to. What Brian and I are looking at is how low do we want them to play verses how much SPL we are willing to give up. In other words, they can play flat to 20Hz but have limited SPL capabilities. Or we can make them play flat to 40Hz (limiting the first octave) and increase over all SPL capability.

So we may rise the extension filters so that instead of settings for 14Hz, 20Hz and 28Hz, it may be more like 20Hz, 28Hz, and 38Hz. We are going to test them for their limits and then pick the better settings. The end user will then have some selections to chose for themselves based on what their SPL levels are.

On a completely different track, how did any of the designs for the NEO-10 driver come out?  Any news on that front?

I have learned some really interesting things on that front, and found a way to get some amazing results. Unfortunately it involves baffle designs that will not be easy for the average DIY'er to replicate. I am not going to let on to much just yet as there are some details to work out still.

Thanks again for all the hard work!  It is fun following along how your stuff keeps evolving.

Thanks for following along.