AQVOX low noise linear USB power supply for DACs ~$150 USD

jkeny

• Industry Participant
    • Modified Hiface USB Transports
Re: AQVOX low noise linear USB power supply for DACs ~$150 USD
« Reply #120 on: 7 Oct 2011, 11:32 pm »
No need to fret, ted_b - their loss, your gain - get yourself one of these for $3 & supply your own low noise 5V supply (even batteries) :) http://www.streakwave.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=5VUSB

And still have lots of money left for music purchasing!

fcavolo

« Reply #121 on: 8 Oct 2011, 12:26 am »
fcavolo, which DAC are you using?
Antelope Zodiac Gold w/ Voltikus PS, 2011 Mac Mini w/ Bolder Cable linear PS

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #122 on: 8 Oct 2011, 01:24 am »
Fcavolo, could you please describe in detail what improvements you are hearing?  You're the first on this thread hearing improvement in a DAC other than the Tranquility.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #123 on: 8 Oct 2011, 02:47 am »
Fcavolo, could you please describe in detail what improvements you are hearing?  You're the first on this thread hearing improvement in a DAC other than the Tranquility.

But he's not using it with a DAC, per se (wish he was, that's my setup too)..  He's using it on the external hard drive.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #124 on: 8 Oct 2011, 03:12 am »
Huh? :scratch:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #125 on: 8 Oct 2011, 04:41 am »
Huh? :scratch:

He is NOT using it from computer to DAC, and thereby he is NOT reducing the noise from computer to DAC.  Instead, he is using it from computer to external hard drive (his Oyen digital).  Of course, I did not mean he is not using a DAC....he IS using a DAC.  He is using speakers, etc too.....just not using the AQVOX to reduce the noise to a DAC.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #126 on: 8 Oct 2011, 06:01 am »
So he is plugging the AQVOX USB connection into the USB port of the Oyen HD to power it?  Hey if that actually work, I might buy another one for my Oyen HD.
« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2011, 04:46 pm by Dracule1 »

gooberdude

« Reply #127 on: 8 Oct 2011, 03:39 pm »
That is one of the other uses for the aqvox.   I haven't tried it.

This is the slippery slope with proper ac.  It gets expensive when you realize you want it everywhere.    :lol:

fcavolo

« Reply #128 on: 8 Oct 2011, 09:38 pm »
Ted is correct. I am using the Aqvox to power my Oyen HD. I ordered the Aqvox with a barrel-style connector that plugs into the back of the Oyen.

gooberdude

« Reply #129 on: 9 Oct 2011, 07:00 am »
Could you post a picture of the connection?

Audioclyde

« Reply #130 on: 9 Oct 2011, 11:59 am »
I wish the wire/connector wasn't hardwired to the unit, so that you could purchase multiple connectors & try it in various places. I use the Oyen mini external HD also, but it connects to the Mac mini via FireWire since I use a USB DAC.

fcavolo

« Reply #131 on: 9 Oct 2011, 12:56 pm »
Could you post a picture of the connection?
I do not know how to post pics. I ordered the Aqvox with the same connector shown here http://oyendigital.com/hard-drives/store/25-PS.html

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #132 on: 9 Oct 2011, 02:02 pm »
Folks, he's just powering the HDD.  He's not intercepting the firewire or USB.

Audioclyde

« Reply #133 on: 9 Oct 2011, 06:44 pm »
Correct, but I power my external drive via it's wall wart (ie not from the Mac mini's buss).    Don't know if the AQVOX would have any impact on the external HD given my setup (wouldn't think so), but wish it was simple as using a different connection cable on the AQVOX to try it in different spots.

Wayne1

« Reply #134 on: 9 Oct 2011, 06:59 pm »
As Mr. Kenny mentioned above, the Streakwave adapter can be used with a good, external 5 volt linear power supply.

I do know where you can get good 5 volt linear power supplies  :wink:

cfmsp

« Reply #135 on: 18 Oct 2011, 01:23 am »
No need to fret, ted_b - their loss, your gain - get yourself one of these for $3 & supply your own low noise 5V supply (even batteries) :) http://www.streakwave.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=5VUSB

And still have lots of money left for music purchasing!

for cheapskates, there's an inexpensive linear PS I learned about recently that you should consider for powering USB devices with something other than the computer or the SMPS that came with the device.

These little guys are so inexpensive, you should buy a handful - one per USB powered device - and then throw out all the USB switchers in the house (or at least in the mancave).

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_283573_-1

BTW, they're only $10.95. 

They only provide 500 mA, which meets the USB bus power requirement (I believe).   note: IMO, the majority of gains from using a linear PS in digital audio MAY BE from simply eliminating the SMPS. This is especially true for things like external hard drives, dedicated ripping drives, Apple SuperDrive, etc. which need noise-free, but not ripple-free, power to do their job (bit-)perfectly.

I learned about this PS listening to a prototype of Pat's (of AR-T) new USB isolation "black box" - which also provides 'clean' USB power.

Highly recommended!    This would seem to be a bargain for anyone investing (hopefully before such investment) in expensive USB cables and/or expensive USB power solutions. 

I believe it will go for $150 and should be available soon (if not already).

It uses the ADuM4160 chip however, so it's limited to 96kHz.

I didn't test what would happen with a file of higher than 96kHz sample rate, for the simple reason that I don't listen to any. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #136 on: 18 Oct 2011, 01:30 am »
for cheapskates, there's an inexpensive linear PS I learned about recently that you should consider for powering USB devices with something other than the computer or the SMPS that came with the device.

These little guys are so inexpensive, you should buy a handful - one per USB powered device - and then throw out all the USB switchers in the house (or at least in the mancave).

They only provide 500 mA, which meets the USB bus power requirement (I believe).   note: IMO, the majority of gains from using a linear PS in digital audio MAY BE from simply eliminating the SMPS. This is especially true for things like external hard drives, dedicated ripping drives, Apple SuperDrive, etc. which need noise-free, but not ripple-free, power to do their job (bit-)perfectly.
Great to see you around.   :thumb:  Do you know if they have a 12VDC version?

EDIT:  They do have them...on the same page.   :thumb:

I learned about this PS listening to a prototype of Pat's (of AR-T) new USB isolation "black box" - which also provides 'clean' USB power.

Highly recommended!    This would seem to be a bargain for anyone investing (hopefully before such investment) in expensive USB cables and/or expensive USB power solutions. 

I didn't test what would happen with a file of higher than 96kHz sample rate, for the simple reason that I don't listen to any.
Oh we know about it....  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=96664.0

cfmsp

« Reply #137 on: 18 Oct 2011, 02:20 am »
Great to see you around.   :thumb:  Do you know if they have a 12VDC version?

EDIT:  They do have them...on the same page.   :thumb:
Oh we know about it....  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=96664.0

Jason,

good to hear from you...

On the advice of my AC power guru, I recently picked up one of these on eBay for $25, Astron SL-11R

http://www.astroncorp.com/linear.shtml

It's factory set at 13.8 VDC (for Ham radio operation, I believe), but the key things is that it's adjustable internally from 11VDC to 15VDC.

it's the typical heavyweight linear, regulated PS (weighs approx 12 lbs), and provides 7 amps.

BTW, did you get your questions answered by Pat about getting on the list for "the Clear", or whatever the name is?

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #138 on: 18 Oct 2011, 08:42 pm »
How does the Jameco $11 PS sound?  Has anyone compared it to the AQVOX?

Andrew_WOT

« Reply #139 on: 9 Apr 2013, 06:25 pm »

The linked Jameco PSU is 6v, shouldn't this 5v be used instead
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&productId=164101&catalogId=10001&CID=MERCH

And another question, Jameco PSU has 2.1mm x 5.5mm female output connector, and MikroTik USB Power injector accepts 1.1MM x 3.5MM, that seems like quite a problem.