WTB Region 2/Europe DVD Player

MikeCTM2

WTB Region 2/Europe DVD Player
« on: 28 Jul 2011, 09:55 pm »
Hi   i get ch. 726 through Dishnetwork  which is German TV.  i just ordered one of my Favorite Shows on DVD through Amazon.de

It just occurred to me, i don't think i'll be able to play the DVDs i receive from Amazon.de on my current DVD player.

Does anyone have or know how to get a Region 2/European   DVD player  for someone living in California?      I haven't been to the 'Circles' in years, but this was the first and only Forum for this i could think of...   before i begin my search.

i appreciate the insight

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: WTB Region 2/Europe DVD Player
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2011, 11:47 pm »
Some dvd players can be simply reset to play all formats.  It is one of the reasons that i bought an Oppo for my last player.  When I emailed Oppo, they couldn't tell me how to do it, but they could tell me a website that gave instructions- undoubtably some legal BS. 

Phil A

Re: WTB Region 2/Europe DVD Player
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2011, 12:15 am »
An Oppo DV980H can be made region free as follows:

"
As to the process of converting the Oppo to become a region free DVD player, its very easy and can be done in less than a minute. Then should you encounter DVDs with RCE, you use the same procedure to set the player back as a Region 1 DVD player.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/rce.html

"Q: What is Regional Coding enhancement(RCE)?
A: It's a digital enhancement added to some Warner Bros and Columbia DVDs to stop region 1 (R1) DVDs from playing on Region-free DVD players.

Q: What's the difference between Region Coding and RCE?
A: Regional Coding enhancement(RCE) is an additional layer of protection which some studios have placed on select REGION 1 DVDs to prevent them from playing on region-free or multi-region players."
LGO says:

Procedure on converting the DV-980H

Conversion from Region 1 DVD Player to Region Free DVD Player

Press "Setup" on the remote control
Press "9210"
Press "0"
Press "Setup"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

To play back DVDs with RCE

Conversion from Region Free DVD Player to Region 1 DVD Player

Press "Setup" on the remote control
Press "9210"