Re: High quality DIY linear power supply for a SB Touch?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
See here and here. I use it for the SB3, but it can be used for the Touch as well without problems.

The simple schematic is:

IEC -> EI core transformer -> Full wave bridge rectification -> Capacitor -> Choke -> Capacitor -> Paul Hyne's Shunt Regulator -> Output DC.

Best,
Anand.

LewinskiH01

Re: Re: High quality DIY linear power supply for a SB Touch?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2011, 12:38 am »
Great unit!

I can't see the Hynes shunt regulator, or maybe I'm looking for a wrong thing. BTW, this unit you built does the same as a Hynes SR1, right? The SR1 is not that expensive...maybe I take the easy road instead of sourcing so many offshore products from different sources.

Who do you buy these parts from?

Thanks!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Re: High quality DIY linear power supply for a SB Touch?
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2011, 01:27 pm »
Great unit!

I can't see the Hynes shunt regulator, or maybe I'm looking for a wrong thing. BTW, this unit you built does the same as a Hynes SR1, right? The SR1 is not that expensive...maybe I take the easy road instead of sourcing so many offshore products from different sources.

Who do you buy these parts from?

Thanks!

You are probably looking at the wrong thing. The shunt regulator is what is closest to the back of the chassis with the copper plate (brown color):

Most of the stuff I sourced from Parts Connexion, Peter Daniel (whose link I provided in the original reply), and Digikey.

The big difference between my implementation and Paul's SRM or SRMR module is that I designed my own pre regulator (and cleared it with Paul Hynes). They both will sound good, it just depends on how far you want to go. Those Jensen 4 pole electrolytics are not inexpensive and many manufacturers will have to charge you more, but if you do it yourself, it can be considerably less expensive.

Best,

Anand.