How about posting pictures of your treated listening room?

chino

:) Hi all. I like this new circle already... very informative  :thumb:  If its okay can someone post pictures of their room here? Just to give an idea for ppl (like me) who wants to get into this sort of thing. Pictures helps a lot. If its okay with the facilitators... thanks!

John Casler

Re: How about posting pictures of your treated listening roo
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2004, 01:02 am »
Quote from: chino
:) Hi all. I like this new circle already... very informative  :thumb:  If its okay can someone post pictures of their room here? Just to give an idea for ppl (like me) who wants to get into this sort of thing. Pictures helps a lot. If its okay with the facilitators... thanks!

While the photo isn't very good and the colors (especially of the "brown" acoustic foam is off), this is the "sweet seat" of Music Room One (of two).

It is a rather nearfield (not technically, but figuratively) positioning, and the Front Center wall is two sheets thick of 3" wedge foam, to set up the "Sonic Projection Screen".

It is remarkable in its soundstage, imaging and depth (3-D).

Center images are so powerfull that it is hard to beleive that there is not a center speaker.

While re-visiting some classical recordings this morning, I was totally floored at the "symphonic soundstage" and instrumental placement.  

French Horns, Oboes, Clarinets, Bassoons, First, Second, and Third Chair violins, Cellos, Bass, drums, cymbals and all "exactly" where they are supposed to be, side to side, front to back and ceiling to floor. :o  :o

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2004, 01:09 am »
Is it me, or do your front treatments have 3 nipples?   :P

Rocket

room treatments
« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2004, 02:19 am »
Hi,

I don't think my wife would let me do that.  I'm sure it sounds good.

regards

rod

Marbles

« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2004, 02:47 am »
How could I have missed the DEVO hats on the speakers.. a touch of Chuck, no?  :lol:

(I hope you know this is all in good fun)

jasonc

« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2004, 02:56 am »
Is it me or are your speakers really floating off the stands? 8)

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 11 Apr 2004, 02:59 am »
Yeah, the one on the right looks like it's getting away...no wonder he has to use weights to keep them in place!!!  :lol:

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 11 Apr 2004, 03:14 am »
Is it me, or do your front treatments have 3 nipples?

I wish!!! 8)

I don't think my wife would let me do that. I'm sure it sounds good.

Yes it does, and it doesn't have to look this way, this is just the "cheapo" route, and luckily, I don't have a SO to offer opposing opinion.

How could I have missed the DEVO hats on the speakers.. a touch of Chuck, no?

I've got many years to go as "deep" as the old Chuckster.  But the Devo Hats, are simply weighted barbell plates.  It adds mass and really keeps the bass tight.  Flight of the Cosmic Hippo is unbelievable as far as bass goes.

Look at the sub.  The blue cloth on top covers two 85# dumbbells. (170# total)

I like my bass (and other things) tight and de-tailed.  :mrgreen:

Is it me or are your speakers really floating off the stands?

Its a new "Sonic levitation decoupling" system :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

pjchappy

« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2004, 03:23 am »
Why did Big B change the Larger Sub to the one you have to the lowboy one?  I like the older style just b/c of a smaller footprint.

Regardless, I can't wait to get one of those bad boys in the future. . .I have a Smaller Sub, and it is currently out of commission b/c I have no amp.

p

F-100

« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2004, 10:13 pm »
Here is a picture of my treated room. The acoustic foam is 3" thick. (Thanks to John Casler for providing the info on them). BTW, the audio rack is on order and the Osiris speaker stand in on the way.

Well, let me know what you guys think and feel free to make any comment or suggestion.

John B

« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2004, 10:49 pm »
Here's mine

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #11 on: 5 May 2004, 03:09 am »
Here's a few...

George

John Casler

« Reply #12 on: 5 May 2004, 04:40 am »
Wow!! you guys are looking good.

F100,

Glad to see the foam worked for you.  Looks like you even got some of the corner bass absorbers.  Do they seem to work?

JB,

Looks like for a Living room you are well set up for some great sound.

George,

I have a question regarding the orientation angle of the ceiling wedge foam.  Is that orientation one that was suggested, or one you found by trial and error, or is it a "work in progress and you are still "tweaking".

In any event they all look great and I'm sure sound even better.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #13 on: 5 May 2004, 05:41 am »
Great shots ! Seeing the white acoustic panels got me thinking...could an artist paint some picture or design on them, or would it alter the effect of the panels. Any answer's ? Thanks !! :?

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #14 on: 5 May 2004, 01:57 pm »
Wolf,

> could an artist paint some picture or design on them, or would it alter the effect of the panels. <

Those are my company's MiniTraps, and they can be painted with no adverse effects. The front surface is intentionally semi-reflective (behind the fabric) to avoid absorbing high frequencies too much.

--Ethan

F-100

« Reply #15 on: 5 May 2004, 06:23 pm »
Quote from: John Casler
F100,

Glad to see the foam worked for you.  Looks like you even got some of the corner bass absorbers.  Do they seem to work?

John,
   Yes,  I got 8 of those corner bass absorbers (2 on each corner of the room). This whole acoustic treatment is new to me and I'm in still in the "tweaking" mode therefore I haven't reach any conclusion yet. I'll try to do some listening session with and without them to see if I can distinguish any difference. But so far so good, the room is much lively and no more echo.

JoshK

« Reply #16 on: 5 May 2004, 06:41 pm »
Unfortunately guys, my wife saw this thread and said, "Hell No!!"   :(

nathanm

« Reply #17 on: 5 May 2004, 07:09 pm »
It's all about arrangement and presentation.  Personally I can see where someone's W would have a low AF from seeing these pics.  The problem with acoustic treatments is that in isolation they look awkward and out of place, but if they are arranged so that they become the wall or they are arranged in a consistent pattern then the AF will probably go up.  The problem with that is that the stuff is so expensive that total coverage is cost prohibitive.  Wether its Ethan's picture frame style or the wedge foam, if there's just one contrastingly-colored square of it plopped on the wall it does look out of place.

Although I don't have a current photo of it, my own room has total coverage of 2" wedge foam on the front and side walls halfway into the room.  Once, to my utter surprise my mother commented "this looks cool!" (she is a W, btw) Now normally, her and my tastes couldn't be further apart, but I theorize that it was the unbroken pattern of foam which cranked up the AF.  If I had just chunks of foam with the off-white wall as the background, then yeah it looks ugly.  Contiguous patterns are what the eye likes.  

I am way jealous of F-100s painted wall though!  :thumb:  And that sub cabinet is quite a piece of work too.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #18 on: 5 May 2004, 07:35 pm »
George,

> Here's a few <

Looking good. You cut and placed the foam panels on the ceiling just right.

--Ethan

F-100

My "red room"
« Reply #19 on: 6 May 2004, 05:07 pm »
Quote from: nathanm
I am way jealous of F-100s painted wall though!  And that sub cabinet is quite a piece of work too.

Nathanm,
  Thanks for the compliments. My wife had picked out the red wine color paint for the room so I had no choice there :). At first, I thought it would look weird for a music room but it turn out very nice and I really dig it. BTW, she thought I was insane when she saw me installing those acoustic foams. But after demoing some tracks from the latest Diana Krall CD to her, she gave me a thump up ... Thanks God for giving me an understandable wife ...  :lol:  :lol: