WHY? USB DAC cuts out when HDMI cable plugged into laptop.

Ultralight

Quick question on my laptop which has HDMI out.

In the past, two different HRT Music Streamer and also the B&W MM-1 speakers with its internal DAC work just fine via USB when I'm connected to an external screen via USB.

However, with the Audio Gd NFB-3 plugged into the USB, when I plug in the HDMI cord for an external video screen, the audio cuts out of the USB and is ported via the hdmi to the screen. 

Why is this?
And how can I prevent this?  It happens only with the Audio Gd DAC and not any of the three other DACs.

Thanks,
UL

wilsynet

Re: WHY? USB DAC cuts out when HDMI cable plugged into laptop.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2011, 06:04 am »
Wondering if this is actually just your system remembering what the default audio device should be.  It may think that when HDMI is plugged in that it has higher priority than the Audio GD DAC, but not the HRT DAC.

With the Audio GD DAC connected *and* the TV connected via HDMI, now configure your operating system such that audio output device is set to the USB DAC.

Now unplug HDMI and plug it back in again and see if it "remembers" that you prefer the GD DAC.

There are instructions here on configuring your playback device / audio output device:

http://usbdacs.com/Windows/Windows.html
http://usbdacs.com/Macintosh/Macintosh.html

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2011, 01:47 pm »
What is your operting system on the laptop?

Make sure you have the playback selection setup correctly in the OS Sound Settings area.

Alex

Ultralight

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2011, 04:18 am »
i'm running Win 7 64 bit.   Wilsynet, thanks!  That resolved my problem and I'm happily using my external screen again.  (I guess you can tell that having beautiful music is a priority over having a big high resolution screen...:)

UL

valtopps

your hdmi also has audio so when you got both cables pluged in click the bottem right of your screen ( the speaker ).
now make your usb the defalt.