Problem with Antelope audio Zodiac+ and HiRez files

DZetye

Problem with Antelope audio Zodiac+ and HiRez files
« on: 14 Jun 2011, 09:21 pm »
OK, so I booted my laptop and downloaded some 24/192 files and connected it to my Antelope Audio Zodiac+ DAC's USB connection.  I waited for a rather long few minutes while the computer loaded some driver software through the USB port.  Everything worked fine and the 192 files were playing perfectly and then I shut down my computer for dinner and when I rebooted it I now get a playback error on the Foobar software program I am using for playback that I didn't get before.  I can't play any of the files.  If I unplug the USB cable from the computer, the files play back fine from the Foobar program but I get the error when I try to send the digital through the USB to the Zodiac+.  I am guessing that there is some sort of handshaking problem.  Can anyone help me out (especially Zodiac+ owners-I know that there are several on these boards)?  Thanks for any help you can provide.  Please email me rather than sending a PM as I am having trouble with the Audiocircle PM system.

DZetye

Re: Problem with Antelope audio Zodiac+ and HiRez files
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2011, 07:43 pm »
Also, I tried reinstalling Foobar and tried J.River too with no playback using the zodiac+ USB input.  Can anyone provide advice?

DZetye

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2011, 11:56 am »
Anyone?  Who could help with this issue?

toddbagwell

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2011, 01:00 pm »
1) I assume you are using windows? Which version?

2) when you unplug the usb cable from the computer and foobar plays the files, what is playing the sound? Or do you mean that Foobar just seems to play but you don't actually hear any sound?

3) can you play CD-sourced files (16/44.1) over the usb into the zodiac?

I don't use foobar or usb audio, but it sounds to me to possibly be a driver issue.

Does the zodiac appear as an audio device in windows?

Lastly, It seems no one on this board has an exact answer at this time, I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer for their opinion as I think USB audio over 96khz requires custom drivers on windows, and they may very well have had users with your problem before.

Let us know what happens.

Todd

DZetye

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2011, 01:16 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Todd.  The answers to your questions are

1) Windows 7 basic on a netbook

2)the computer plays back the music through its internal speaker

3) yes

yes, Zodiac appears as an audio device in windows and the drivers seem to be properly installed.

thanks for the tip.  i shall also try to contact the manufacturer.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2011, 01:39 pm »
DZetye,
Please put a help ticket into Antelope Audio.  I thought you'd done this by now.  They are very responsive. 
http://www.antelopeaudio.com/en/tickets.html

Have you checked the Foobar audio out setting (file/preferences/playback/output)?

DZetye

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2011, 01:41 pm »
Thanks Ted.  I'll check the output setting

DZetye

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2011, 02:41 pm »
Well, I managed to put an end to the problem but not in the way I wanted.  I was trying to reinstall the device driver software and my computer crashed.  I can't get my computer to operate except in safe mode now.  looks like I will be taking it to a higher authority.

gabrielo

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2011, 10:29 am »
Anyone?  Who could help with this issue?
This might be caused by using wrong USB mode.
It was described in Srajan's review on 6moons - http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/antelope/zodiac_3.html
I did it few times on my winxp which was loosing USB definition after hibernation (win7 seems to work fine so far)

procedure goes like this:
Turn Zodiac off, then press the Source bottom for few seconds and then you will see USB setting being modified.
IIRC there are 2 option UF1 and UH1 with the letter working as Hi-Speed USB 2.0 (480 Mb/s)
The UF1 is using Full-Speed USB (12Mb/s) which should suffice for low rez files , but won't be enough for high-rez

/gabriel