Has anyone tried these for equipment isolation
« on: 13 Apr 2011, 08:28 pm »
Please post if you have tried these and what you think........Bill

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewproduct.cfm?productID=453058383

« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2011, 06:18 am by pumpkinman »

yamaha626

Re: Has anyone tried these for equipment isolation
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2011, 10:01 pm »
I've not used these specifically but do use a very similar product that I got from Quest For Sound. My product is called the Isol-pad and I like them very much. Your product is half the price so I think I'm gonna order a set and compare. Based upon the photo of the MP3E, it looks like the center material is different...mine has cork sandwiched between rubber and the MP3E has some kind of foam rubber sandwiched between rubber.

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2011, 12:27 am »
Unless you charge 200 for a set of four and come up with a snazzy audio name for them, they are NO GOOD!

Lol

Paul

srb

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2011, 12:53 am »
Fleece Audio Visco-LamTM Sound-SlabsTM

~ $200 / set of 3

That's right, set of 3.  I've just taken them to the next audio level.

Steve

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2011, 02:01 am »
I bought some stuff from the below a couple of weeks back both with and without the cork.  I have not really evaluated them, but they don't look tons different than what Maple Shade sells for more money.

http://shop3.mailordercentral.com/supersoundproofing/products.asp?dept=25

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2011, 02:17 am »
Mapleshade is the ones i remember. And I have seen discussions of the mapleshade ones being some cheap brand they buy and spray paint.
Another tweak footer i personally LOVE are chemical Butyl rubber bottle stoppers size 10.
American Science and Surplus $1.25 each. I own about 40 of the stoppers, and use them under EVERYTHING.
I also have some old footers of Teak, from found small cheese boards at Goodwill. They never have them anymore, but in the day.. I had about four of them i cut up into four blocks from each litttle cheese board. Excellent source of Asian Teak for footers. Alas, the days of $1.00 for 4 excellent Teak footers is long gone.
Then big corks, from American Science also..

srb

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2011, 02:41 am »
Another tweak footer i personally LOVE are chemical Butyl rubber bottle stoppers size 10.
American Science and Surplus $1.25 each. I own about 40 of the stoppers, and use them under EVERYTHING.

Interesting you mention those.  I have them under a few components throughout the house, but also have 32 of the size 8-1/2 in my audio rack for isolation between the shelves themselves.

There are 16 1-1/2"D pieces of ABS tubing as column supports between the 3 shelves.  A size 8-1/2 stopper is inserted tightly into each end of each piece of tubing, leaving 1/8" exposed which gets trimmed perfectly with a 1/8" thick O-ring.

No scientific vibration testing here, but makes me feel good about the assembly, and the one-hole stoppers also center the tubular supports around the threaded rods.

Steve

starkiller

« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2011, 11:53 pm »
Here's what I use and they are identical to what Quest for Sound and Mapleshade sell for much cheaper and to my ears anyway they work very well under some speakers and my tube equipment and tt.

alan

tesseract

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2011, 12:33 am »
The BVD Feet (Bad Vibration Dampers).   :lol:  3 bucks a pop, less for 8 of 'em.

http://meniscusaudio.com/bvd-feet-p-744.html

starkiller

« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2011, 12:40 am »
Hmm, guess I should supply the link eh :duh:  What's also nice about this site is the pads come in sizes also!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2011, 01:23 am »
I paid $1.50 each for 2" x 2" x 7/8" neoprene/cork isolation pads:

With shipping I got 16 for $34.35.  What I liked about their site was the simple, common sense approach.

I played around with them a bunch, but frankly I've not noticed any difference.  I do have one component that has no feet, so I use 3 for it.  Honestly I bought them to satisfy an audiophile friend who really thought I should be using some kind of isolation footers (and these were the cheapest I could find).

I also tried Panda feet (soft swishy cylindrical "marshmellows").  Again I liked the approach (both based their products on the weight to be supported.  But again I couldn't detect any difference (even the vendor admitted it, but it seems that he was sort of pushed into offering them).

Note that I'm an old school "speaker guy" and only reluctantly spend half-way serious money on cabling.  I've never believed in racks or isolation (except for turntables).

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2011, 02:29 am »

Evidently Bill no one has tried the DiveriTech MP- 3E Isolation Blocks you specifically asked for posts about cuz all I see are every other isolation product BUT what was politely asked for posts about.  :lol:  I guess saying please doesn't mean much to many.

Like all the others, I haven't tried these pads out either but unlike all the others, I'm not going to whore what I have tried in a thread that's not asking for it.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin 

Gopher

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2011, 04:30 am »
Mapleshade is the ones i remember. And I have seen discussions of the mapleshade ones being some cheap brand they buy and spray paint.

Cheap brand???  Spray paint??  They listened to an exhaustive selection of blocks and picked the finest with no regard for the price.  They then upped the ante by tuning by EAR with Laquor.   

srb

« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2011, 05:27 am »
Cheap brand???  Spray paint??  They listened to an exhaustive selection of blocks and picked the finest with no regard for the price.  They then upped the ante by tuning by EAR with Laquor.

"Isoblocks are a six layer rubber/cork laminate whose footprint and number of laminations has been tuned by ear to exactly those vertical, horizontal, and torsional resonant frequencies that provide the best sonic isolation for platforms."

I got the tuning by ear part.  In other words, they selected 2" X 2" for Isoblock 1 and 3" X 3" for Isoblock 2 (the footprint) and decided that gluing two together (the number of laminations) was best.  I didn't read anything about "Lacquer" being applied, but maybe after the marketing decision was made, they smiled at each other and had some "Liquor".

On the other hand, the markup is not as offensive as some other commonplace items inflated for audio use.  I do like one of the recommended uses as spacers for those that need to stack components.

Steve

Gopher

« Reply #14 on: 16 Apr 2011, 05:40 am »
I was being facetious, they're a crock IMO.  :lol:

Charles Xavier

« Reply #15 on: 16 Apr 2011, 06:30 am »

They work great in my HVAC system !

My guess is he probably can get his hands on these and probably wants to try them out. Bill don't take them from work :thumb:

soundbitten1

« Reply #16 on: 16 Apr 2011, 11:42 am »
I use hockey pucks (costs about a buck per puck) under some of my gear. They seem to work fine.

rhing

« Reply #17 on: 16 Apr 2011, 12:16 pm »

Yes. I purchased mine from here for $0.45 each or $1.80 for four:

http://www.pexsupply.com/DiversiTech-MP-2E-EVA-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

I also purchased a bunch of these rubber/cork pads for $0.29 each or $1.16 for four:

http://www.pexsupply.com/DiversiTech-MP-2C-Rubber-Cork-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

I have the blue, foamed EVA/rubber blocks under my Audio Research LS7 linestage, and the rubber/cork pads under my refurbished/modified Magnavox 6BQ5/EL84 push-pull power amp and another set under my modified Playstation 1. I used to use Isonode-type stick-on rubber feet from 3M (a.k.a. Bumpon), cones or nothing but the stock rubber feet, but switched to these when a friend loaned me a set. These are essentially the same as the "high end" blocks, but considerably less expensive.

They actually do a great job of isolating my components from vibration and shock. I can't say I hear a difference with or without them, but my system certainly doesn't sound worse with them in place. The bass response is nice, tightly defined bass and I hear no tube microphony or CD skipping while knocking on my equipment. The soundstage is solid with a three dimensional image. I have no reason to look elsewhere for anything else. Using vacuum tube components, the added height improves air flow underneath the chassis.

I find spending more money (not insane amounts) on good parts like capacitors, resistors, connectors and wire for my DIY projects, or getting a great deal on a used Audio Research LS7 have yielded the greatest improvements on my system. Get these foamed EVA/rubber or rubber/cork feet from Pex Supply and move on to purchasing more music or more significant system upgrades.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #18 on: 18 Apr 2011, 12:41 am »
Gee Robin, I think we were just trying to be helpful.   :?

starkiller

« Reply #19 on: 18 Apr 2011, 01:25 am »
I'm not going to whore what I have tried in a thread that's not asking for it
??

A little harsh methinks, both styles look very  much alike, same idea.  Maybe you are a little upset because of the Sox eh? :lol: