My HT2-TL Review/Comparison (Warning, long winded!)

Saturn94

My HT2-TL Review/Comparison (Warning, long winded!)
« on: 23 Mar 2011, 05:04 pm »
It's has taken me some time to get the point where I thought I could give the HT2-TL a fair review, mainly because first impressions aren't always accurate.  I once commented to Jim that it takes me some time to gauge whether or not I really like a particular speaker, assuming they are at least reasonably high quality.  Some speakers dazzle you with flash that becomes tiring over time while others may not immediately dazzle you, but over time you realize they are much more listenable and satisfying.

The last time I went speaker shopping was in 1986.  I ended up purchasing a pair of ADS L1290 Series 2 from a great local shop (sadly, they are no longer in business).  This shop had a great setup and allowed me to listen to speakers as much I wanted.  I probably spent of total of 20 hours or more over several visits listening to the ADS before deciding they were for me.  All that time auditioning was well spent as it resulted in a speaker purchase that I've enjoyed over 24 years.

I mention this because it points out the challenge I faced shopping for speakers this time.  Unfortunately, great shops that offer such audition opportunities, including loaning me speakers to audition at home, are pretty much extinct in my area.  Even online companies that offered money back guarantees required you eat the shipping cost if returned (not an insignificant amount when talking about heavy tower speakers).  I had to rely heavily on online research to narrow my choices, then narrow it further to speakers that I could audition in person (that really narrowed it down).  Even though I was able to audition about 8 different models from about 6 different manufacturers, including Salks, it was impossible to audition them for the number of hours I spent auditioning the ADS.  The gracious owners who invited me for auditions would have called the police to have me removed!  Speaking of which, I'm very grateful for the owners who invited this stranger into their homes to help in my speaker search.

This leads me to my purchase of the HT2-TL and how it performed in my room with my setup.  Don't know if it makes any difference (Jim said he didn't think there would be an audible penalty compared to the 1" MDF version), but I bought the 3/4" MDF version (Jim's recommendation) to accomodate my space restrictions and maximize the space behind the speakers.

For reference some of the equipment in my system includes the following:  Pioneer BDP320 BD player, Oppo 980H SACD/DVD-A/DVD player, Rotel RCD961 CD player, Anthem AVM20 processor, and Parasound Classic 5250 power amp (250wpc @ 8 ohms).

I have to admit that at the end of the first day I was left pretty confused about what I thought about them.  I almost wanted to put my ADS back in the system and return the HT2-TL.  After all, I had been listening to my ADS for over 24 years and probably perceived their sound as normal/accurate.  The HT2-TL almost sounded dull with a bit too much midrange fullness compared to the ADS.  I remembered that the first time I visited Dennis to directly A/B my ADS to the HT2-TL I initially liked my ADS better, but after a few hours started liking the HT2-TL better.  By the end of that first audition at Dennis's, the ADS had a nasal quality, a thinner midrange, and brighter high end compared to the HT2-TL.  The HT2-TL sounded more natural overall.  Considering this I figured I needed more time with the HT2-TL in my setup.  I sent an email to Jim explaining my initial impressions and he agreed I needed time to adjust to a different sound and get to the point where I'm listening to how the music sounds instead of critiqueing every little thing about the speaker.  He suggested giving it a few weeks.  This sounded reasonable to me and made sense that it would take some time to "recalibrate" my ears.

So the past few weeks I've been getting to know the HT2-TL better.  It has taken longer than I initially expected due to time constraints and an amp that started malfunctioning.  BTW, major kudos to Parasound for fixing and shipping my amp the same day they received it and to Sound & Image Design in Richmond VA for handling the shipping and giving me a loaner so I wouldn't be without music while my amp was away.

Setup was easier than I expected (BTW, if anyone wants any tips on unpacking and puting together the HT2-TL by yourself,  I'd be happy to share what worked for me).  I started with the same position as my ADS, and with tweeters to the outside (figured I'd maximize soundstage width and keep the tweeters as far from the TV as possible).  The only adjustment I needed to make since was to toe in the HT2-TL a bit more than the ADS.  Considering the ADS's wider dispersion, this makes sense.  The distance from the center/front of the HT2-TL to the wall behind it ended up at 29" (this is as far out into the room as I could place them) with 2 1/2" of toe in.  Distance between the speakers, center to center, is 86", and distance from speaker to listening position is 96".  The left speaker is 4 feet from center to the left side wall, and the right speaker is 14 feet from the right side wall.  So far I am quite happy with this setup.  Integrating the HT2-TL with my SVS 16-46PC+ powered sub was a snap.  As a matter of fact,  the HT2-TL was easier to integrate with my SVS sub than the ADS and with better results (more on that later).

Cosmetically, the HT2-TL's cabinet is a significant upgrade from the ADS.  Also, the way the HT2-TL sits on the plinth and the bullet shaped spikes I chose (same as the ones on the SoundScape I believe) give it a very "classy" look.  There are only 2 things I like about the ADS's cosmetics better than the HT2-TL.  First, the edges of the ADS are beveled which gives it a "softer" look.  In comparison the HT2-TL's edges appear "hard".  Second, the drivers on the ADS are completely invisible with the grills on whereas HT2-TL drivers are visible through the grill unless the lights are very low or off in the evening (the room gets lots of natural light during the day).  Personally, I've never liked the look of exposed drivers.  Seeing the drivers is distracting to me and negatively influences my perception of the sound (I know, sounds crazy!).  But I'm learning to get over that (I've been closing my eyes alot when listening!).  It would be nice if there was a grill option that completely concealed the drivers without negatively impacting performance.

There are two areas where the HT2-TL clearly excels over the ADS; resolution and imaging.  With the HT2-TL I'm noticing details in recordings I've not noticed before.  Also, details are not lost even with more complex music.  The soundstage, when called for, is very wide and fairly deep.  I suspect depth would greatly improve if I had the space to bring the HT2-TL further away from the wall behind them.  Soundstage height seems a little less than the ADS and often seems restricted to the height of the speaker, and the "sweet spot" on the HT2-TL is a little smaller than the ADS.  My guess is this has to do with the ADS wider dispersion characteristics at higher frequencies, especially in the vertical plane (at 8ft, stand up and high frequencies from the HT2-TL drop dramatically).  Imaging within the soundstage is excellent, better than the ADS, and somewhat surprising to me considering my 60" plasma (ie wall of glass) between the speakers only sits 20" back from the speakers. Any movement of the performers or instruments within the soundstage is easily heard.  Again, I think imaging would be even sharper if I could get them further from the TV and wall. The HT2-TL does an excellent job handling recordings, usually of the Pop genre, that include imaging "tricks" intended to greatly expand the apparent soundstage.  It's quite stunning how sounds sometime appear to come from the sides, or even from behind my listening position.  Sometimes I had to check to make sure I was listening in stereo and not a multichannel mode!  One recording that comes to mind that demonstrates this is Madonna's "Immaculate Collection" which was processed in "QSound".

Dynamic range abilities seem to be equally impressive with both the ADS and HT2-TL.  Neither seems to limit the dynamic range as long as plenty of clean power is available.  Both are perfectly capable of filling the room with music at high volumes without sounding strained or compressed.

As others have reported, the HT2-TL is quite capable in the bass department.  It extends a bit deeper than the ADS.  In my room, however, there are issues with bass when running either speaker full range.  With the ADS, there is a large bump in the response around 100hz that necessitated setting the high pass filter in my processor quite high (165hz) to smooth out the bass response (the low pass filter for the sub is set to 80hz).  With the HT2-TL, the 100hz bump in response is much smaller, but lower frequencies are a bit too boomy.  Setting the high pass filter to 125hz and low pass filter to 80hz smoothed out the bass nicely.  While it might be ideal to be able to run the speakers full range without the sub for music, the fact is in my room using the sub significantly improves performance with either speaker.  As I mentioned earlier, the HT2-TL blends extremely well with my SVS sub; even better than the ADS did.  To my ears the HT2-TL/SVS combo performs like they were designed as a single system.  Oddly enough, even lower bass frequencies from the sub sound cleaner with the SVS/HT2-TL combo than the ADS/SVS combo.  In the end the result is smooth bass that is powerful when called for and remains strong down to about 16hz or so.

IMHO, the star of the show is the RAAL tweeter; clean, clear, smooth, extended response.  This is one great tweeter.  I remember reading a post that described the RAAL tweeter as "not there".  I would say that's a good description.  High frequencies are just "there" as they should be and don't sound like they are coming from a driver.  It would be nice if vertical dispersion was better (perhaps this might improve image height?) but I guess you can't have everything.  When standing up at my relatively close listening distance of 8ft, high fequencies really drop off.  However, when I first heard the HT2-TL at Dennis's, at a greater distance, this effect wasn't nearly as noticable.  The limited vertical dispursion might actually be a benefit if you have a lower ceiling (my room has a sloping cathedral ceiling).  Despite this minor criticism, I love the RAAL tweeter.  As a matter of fact, for those considering the SongTowers, I would encourage you to stretch that budget to upgrade to the RAAL tweeter if possible.  In comparison to my ADS, and in my room, the HT2-TL sounded just a little dull in the high frequencies for my tastes, and perhaps my own hearing deficiencies in high frequencies.  Boosting the treble in my processor by 1.5db seemed to strike a perfect balance and now sounds very natural to me.

With most recordings, midrange comes across as very clean, delivering a very realistic sound.  However, with some recordings, even some high rez recordings, there seems to be a little too much emphasis in the lower midrange.  This tended to sometimes make voices somewhat muddied or sounding like they are singing in a box.  I've never heard this with my ADS.  This was the main source of my confusion I mentioned earlier in this review and I don't remember hearing this at Dennis's.  After much listening to many recordings and doing some measuring, I think I've identified what's going on.  My midrange measurements of the HT2-TL in my room show a rise in response of about 2db from about 300hz to about 600hz.  In the same frequency range my ADS actually had a dip in response of about 2db.  This amounts to about a 4db difference across a full octave.  So it would seem that speaker/room interactions are at play here and explains what I was hearing.  Also, if the recording has any emphasis in this frequency range, it's a bit exaggerated by the HT2-TL's response in my room whereas the ADS tended to deemphasize the same range.

Remember that I've had my ADS for so long that this dip in response in my room sounded "right" to me, so the HT2-TL's response sounded "wrong" at first.  It took some time to acclimate to the different sound of the HT2-TL, but after awhile it began to sound more "right" to me on most recordings.  Even so, I decided to put my old Audio Control equalizer back into my system and lowered the 250hz and 500hz sliders down a few db.  For most of my recordings, this is unnecessary so I bypass the EQ, but for some recordings this dip is really necessary to make them sound more natural to my ears.

For home theater applications, the HT2-TL is great.  It easily handles wide dyamics and its imaging/resolution abilities make for a great HT audio experience.  Also, the HT2-TL works well with my NHT center and surrounds (my poor wallet is VERY happy about that!).

One thing is clear about the HT2-TL, it's not going to gloss over or hide the shortcomings of the recording.  A bad recording is going to sound, well, bad.  At the other end of the spectrum a fantastic recording sounds fantastic.  While some recordings have me reaching to turn on the EQ to improve the sound, other recordings have given me chills or even brought tears to my eyes (Telarc's original 1981 release of Carmina Burana comes to mind).  This speaker really thrives on high quality recordings.  In comparison my ADS are a little more forgiving with lesser recordings, but not quite up to the level of the HT2-TL with very high quality recordings.

In the end I'm happy with the HT2-TL overall.  While they certainly don't trounce the ADS, I do enjoy the improvements in imaging, resolution, tweeter performance, and bass integration with my sub. 

Although not related to sound quality,  I would like to mention how great it's been dealing with Jim Salk.  He always took the time to answer my many, many emails in a straightforward and honest way.  He was very generous with his knowledge and seemed genuinely interested in making sure I got the right speaker for my situation and budget.  I also liked the nice little touches like the "birth certificate", the demo CD, and being able to customize some options to my needs/tastes.  Just as important is the help Dennis Murphy provided.  Like Jim, he patiently answered my numerous emails.  He also was very generous with his time, allowing me to come over to personally audition the Salks and pick his brain.  There were also generous Salk owners who were willing to have a stranger come over to their house to audition their Salks.  While I didn't get to visit most of them, I did get to visit R. Swerdlow.  This visit was great as I was able to see the finish quality in person and hear how the Salks worked with an NHT center and surrounds (I also use NHT speakers for center and surrounds).  And of course there is the great Salk community on AudioCircle; always willing to help and generous with feedback.   

Spinerep

Re: My HT2-TL Review/Comparison (Warning, long winded!)
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2011, 07:24 pm »
I personally would like to thank you and many of the others that have posted extremely detailed reviews.  Being a complete newbie (love music but dont really understand at the level you all do) I am spending as much time as I can on these forum posts to learn.  I have graduated from my B&W 683's after listening to a Joe Bonamassa DVD and not even coming close to the sound at the concert recently attended.

So I'm on the hunt for new and have narrowed it down to either songtowers or HT2-TL's.  Budget is a stretch but I want this to be a long term investment.

It helps so much to hear true audio purists' postive reviews about the HT2-TL's.  They are way more than I need right now but I have always operated under the "buy the best you can afford".

Anyway, I just wanted to take the time to say thank you to all that post reviews.  You really dont know how much it helps newbie's like me.

Good Listening!

Spinerep (I sell spinal implants to surgeons)
David

fsimms

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2011, 08:10 pm »
Excellent review!  Thanks.

I know what you mean about new speakers having a tough time in making an initial impression.   I had such a love affair with my HT1’s that my new SoundScapes had a big hurdle to overcome.  It wasn’t that they didn’t sound better; it was that they didn’t sound like my HT1’s.  They didn’t produce my “pet sounds”.  Luckily the better speaker easily won out in the end.  It just took time.  My appreciation just grows and grows.  It sounds like you are on the way.

Bob

ratso

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2011, 10:50 pm »
dave, if you are thinking long term get the HT2's. they really are better speakers (not just speakers that go lower). the songs are great, but the HT2's are in a higher league.

nice review, saturn. glad to see someone not afraid to point out the high points AND the low points that they hear.

Kinger

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2011, 11:08 pm »
I'm not going to say that the HT2-TL isn't a better speaker than the ST/RT, but there is certainly a price difference and not everyone can swing over 4k for a set of speakers.  Don't feel like you are "settling" with the ST's because they really are a great speaker in their own right.  I'm reminded of this fact every time I get the opportunity to use mine.

Great review Saturn and glad to see you are enjoying your new HT2-TL's.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2011, 11:43 pm »
Thanks very much for the review.  You put almost as much effort into it as you did shopping for speakers!  My only question and reservation concerns your remarks about the midrange measurements of the HT2.  This is a 2-way speaker, with the crossover point at 2200 Hz.  Therefore, any peak in the region you mention (300 - 600 Hz) would be either some kind of inherent inaccuracy in the W18 woofers in that region,  a lack of baffle step compensation, or a room peak that doesn't show up on the ADS because it's actually down considerably in that area.  I think we can rule out the first two explanations, because the W18's are extremely smooth below 1k, and the HT2's have almost complete baffle step compensation.  It's possible that the ADS is depressed in that region (and by more than 2 dB anechoically), because that's probably where the speaker is crossed from the woofer to the midrange.  In any event, I've attached a plot of the HT2's anechoic response (which would not reflect room effects).  How are you measuring the room response of the speakers?  Room plots are very tricky, and are very sensitive to mic position and distance.   

TJHUB

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2011, 11:47 pm »
Excellent and detailed review Saturn. :thumb:

One thing I'd like to mention from my own personal experience with my HT2-TL's.  I've owned mine for just over 2 years now.  I was one of the first to get the TL version of the HT2.  They have only impressed me from the very first day and they are by far the best audio purchase I've ever made.

My HT2-TL's seem to be able to clearly show what your electronics are doing.  I would not describe the midrange as you are.  I also NEVER hear anything I'd call "muddy."  You may be hearing a weakness in your electronics.  I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying it could be.  My Salk's have only gotten better as I have upgraded my front end electronics, which includes cables.  I feel like I can hear nearly every subtle change I make.  This has proven both great and challenging.  Luckily, I have stumbled upon a great mix of gear and cables and I've never been happier.  I have the sound I always dreamed of having. 

Enjoy those wonderful speakers!  :D

ratso

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2011, 12:38 am »
i'm with dennis on this one, i'm pretty sure you're hearing room interaction. i am fairly confident in this because i have a very similar room that is almost impossible to get to sound great. my whole house is basically one room, a very open floor plan with cathedral ceilings, crazy angles, and an open lofted second floor. i just watched a video on the site of the "get better sound" guy, jim smith, in which he describes it's very unlikely to get great sound in a room like this. sadly, i have learned that when a speaker sounds great in a "normal" room, it will just sound "very good" at best in mine. just something i have to live with. that doesn't mean i (and you) can't optimize what we do have, though (hence my HT2-TL's).

BTW, dave seemed to indicate that he could financially swing the more expensive ones, so why shouldn't he? they are worth the price diff  IMO (and many others i think). i will absolutely agree that if he had to get the song's he would be happy with them - they are excellent speakers too.

mchuckp

« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:09 am »

One thing I'd like to mention from my own personal experience with my HT2-TL's.  I've owned mine for just over 2 years now.  I was one of the first to get the TL version of the HT2.  They have only impressed me from the very first day and they are by far the best audio purchase I've ever made.

My HT2-TL's seem to be able to clearly show what your electronics are doing.  I would not describe the midrange as you are.  I also NEVER hear anything I'd call "muddy."  You may be hearing a weakness in your electronics.  I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying it could be.  My Salk's have only gotten better as I have upgraded my front end electronics, which includes cables.  I feel like I can hear nearly every subtle change I make.  This has proven both great and challenging.  Luckily, I have stumbled upon a great mix of gear and cables and I've never been happier.  I have the sound I always dreamed of having. 

This is a great point.  I've noticed a difference on any change in my system gear wise since getting my STRTs.  As Saturn commented, the HT2-TLs will bring out any deficiencies in a recording.  They will also bring out deficiencies in your gear as well. 

Saturn, are you currently using room treatments?  Some of your shortcomings could be corrected if you are not.  Adding some strategically placed panels and a bass trap SIGNIFICANTLY helped my room where slap echo and bass loading were holding me back.

Good write up!

Saturn94

« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:40 am »
I personally would like to thank you and many of the others that have posted extremely detailed reviews.  Being a complete newbie (love music but dont really understand at the level you all do) I am spending as much time as I can on these forum posts to learn.  I have graduated from my B&W 683's after listening to a Joe Bonamassa DVD and not even coming close to the sound at the concert recently attended.

So I'm on the hunt for new and have narrowed it down to either songtowers or HT2-TL's.  Budget is a stretch but I want this to be a long term investment.

It helps so much to hear true audio purists' postive reviews about the HT2-TL's.  They are way more than I need right now but I have always operated under the "buy the best you can afford".

Anyway, I just wanted to take the time to say thank you to all that post reviews.  You really dont know how much it helps newbie's like me.

Good Listening!

Spinerep (I sell spinal implants to surgeons)
David

I'm glad the review was of some help to you.  If your budget can handle the HT2-TL, it's a great choice.  If it won't stretch that far, then the SongTower (RT version with the RAAL tweeter) would be my second choice.  The two have much more in common than they are different IMO.

Thanks very much for the review.  You put almost as much effort into it as you did shopping for speakers!  My only question and reservation concerns your remarks about the midrange measurements of the HT2.  This is a 2-way speaker, with the crossover point at 2200 Hz.  Therefore, any peak in the region you mention (300 - 600 Hz) would be either some kind of inherent inaccuracy in the W18 woofers in that region,  a lack of baffle step compensation, or a room peak that doesn't show up on the ADS because it's actually down considerably in that area.  I think we can rule out the first two explanations, because the W18's are extremely smooth below 1k, and the HT2's have almost complete baffle step compensation.  It's possible that the ADS is depressed in that region (and by more than 2 dB anechoically), because that's probably where the speaker is crossed from the woofer to the midrange.  In any event, I've attached a plot of the HT2's anechoic response (which would not reflect room effects).  How are you measuring the room response of the speakers?  Room plots are very tricky, and are very sensitive to mic position and distance.   

Hi Dennis.

Yeah, I did put some effort into the review, although maybe not quite as much as I did searching for speakers. :lol:  While it took me a year to find speakers, it only took a month to do the review!  See, I'm improving! :lol:

I used a digital Rat Shack meter set to C weighted/slow response at my listening position/head level and a test disc that includes sine waves and warble tones (I used the warble tones).  The peak I measured matches up with what I am hearing so I think my measurements are fairly accurate, at least as far as showing there is a rise in that region if not absolutely accurate in the db level of the rise.

Your right about the crossover in the ADS; the manual states the crossover to the woofer as 500hz.  I agree with you that it's a room peak since none of the HT2-TLs proper measurements show a rise in this region, nor did I hear this in your room.  This would also explain why my ADS doesn't sound as thin to me in my room as it did in your room.

« Last Edit: 1 Apr 2012, 08:02 pm by Saturn94 »

Saturn94

« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:58 am »

Perhaps I'm not using the term "muddy" correctly.  It isn't that it sounds like any details are being masked (would that be the proper use of the term "muddy"?), it just the sound of the frequency range I mentioned being a little elevated.  Between my measurements and playing around with the EQ, I've definitely been able to correlate what I'm hearing with the rise in response in the region mentioned.  I don't think my electronics are producing frequency response errors that large.  I really think I'm dealing with some room issues here.

I appreciate the suggestion. :)

i'm with dennis on this one, i'm pretty sure you're hearing room interaction. i am fairly confident in this because i have a very similar room that is almost impossible to get to sound great. my whole house is basically one room, a very open floor plan with cathedral ceilings, crazy angles, and an open lofted second floor. i just watched a video on the site of the "get better sound" guy, jim smith, in which he describes it's very unlikely to get great sound in a room like this. sadly, i have learned that when a speaker sounds great in a "normal" room, it will just sound "very good" at best in mine. just something i have to live with. that doesn't mean i (and you) can't optimize what we do have, though (hence my HT2-TL's).

BTW, dave seemed to indicate that he could financially swing the more expensive ones, so why shouldn't he? they are worth the price diff  IMO (and many others i think). i will absolutely agree that if he had to get the song's he would be happy with them - they are excellent speakers too.

Your room sounds similar to mine.  It's not terrible, but certainly could be much better.  Unfortunately, unless I win the lottery, I'm going to just have to make the best of it. :wink:

Perhaps once my wallet recovers, I might experiment with room treatments.  Can room treatments help flatten the rise in the range I mentioned?

Nuance

« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2011, 02:18 am »
Perhaps once my wallet recovers, I might experiment with room treatments.  Can room treatments help flatten the rise in the range I mentioned?

You bet they can.  So can experimenting with placement of the speakers and the LP.  Even six inches can make a drastic change.

That was an awesome review, Saturn; well worth the wait!  Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us, and once again, welcome to the Salk family.  Whoot!

Saturn94

« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2011, 02:19 am »
dave, if you are thinking long term get the HT2's. they really are better speakers (not just speakers that go lower). the songs are great, but the HT2's are in a higher league.

nice review, saturn. glad to see someone not afraid to point out the high points AND the low points that they hear.

While I've certainly not heard as many speakers as others here, I've never heard a perfect speaker, especially in a real world room.  Even Jim will tell you speaker design is about choosing compromises. Throw in the fact that everyone's rooms are acoustically different and flawed to widely varying degrees and it's a wonder that any speaker could satisfy such a wide range of owners.

If I win the Mega Millions jackpot, I could hire and acoustics expert to work with Jim and Dennis to design a room and speaker combo customized to work in perfect harmony. :drool: You're all invited to hear it! :thumb:

Saturn94

« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2011, 02:27 am »
You bet they can.  So can experimenting with placement of the speakers and the LP.  Even six inches can make a drastic change.

That was an awesome review, Saturn; well worth the wait!  Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us, and once again, welcome to the Salk family.  Whoot!

Glad you enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, my listening position/speaker placement options are extremely limited, but I'll see what I can do.  Looks like I need to start hanging out in the room treatment forum.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #14 on: 24 Mar 2011, 12:35 pm »
I am getting sound from my HT2's that I wasn't even aware they were capable of with this new preamp.  Pretty sweet all around.

BTW, spread the word that in the next few months I plan to sell my metallic red HT2TL's so I can get SoundScapes.  I can make a nice package deal with some PS Audio Delta 250/400 watt monoblocks as well.

Nuance

« Reply #15 on: 24 Mar 2011, 12:54 pm »
^ What preamp are you currently running, BRM?  The BAT VK3i?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #16 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:16 pm »
^ What preamp are you currently running, BRM?  The BAT VK3i?

TRL Dude

Nuance

« Reply #17 on: 24 Mar 2011, 02:25 pm »
Wow!  It is really as big as it looks in the picture?  It has a cool vintage look to it. :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #18 on: 24 Mar 2011, 02:47 pm »
The Dude abides (large).

ratso

« Reply #19 on: 24 Mar 2011, 04:05 pm »
i heard you raving about this before, looks nice! but i have no idea how you made the choice for it - here is THE ENTIRE amount of info on this preamp on the manufacturer's site:

Dude preamp.
Five tubes, $3800 direct

i mean, i know word of mouth and all, but c'mon - that's ridiculous. they couldn't be bothered with a little more than that? is there a hidden page on the site that gives us more? some horrible accident that prevents them from typing more than a few words without excrutiating pain?

"salk speaker - 3 drivers
$4000 direct"  :roll: