New To VS - Need comparison of Unifield 3 and VR-SR4 MK3

JGlacken

Hi all,

First post here.  I have the urge to go back to two channel conventional from my Meridian DSP set-up.  My room is 16X25 with 9 foot ceiling-two long sides of the ceiling slope with the roof to about 5.5 feet height on the side walls.  The seating is set up across the long walls so that the listening position is approx 12 feet from the sweet spot.  The max width from tweeter to tweeter can only be 7 feet due to other furniture etc.  Max room behind each speaker to rear wall can only be about 24".  After speaking with Albert himself yesterday (wow-pretty neat! re: Uni3) I am looking very hard at the VS line.
I see some nice deals on Agon.  I do not have any dealers within reasonable driving distance-over seven hours, so I would love comments on the two models in question.
Amplification is still a question, as my Meridian speakers are active as you probably know.  Perhaps looking at Jolida or something similar???  My music preferences now are smooth jazz and female vocals.  Love Diana Krall, Eva Cassidy
Brian Culbertson, Coltrane although I grew up listening to rock in the late 60s and 70s.

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME TO BE ABLE TO LISTEN AT FAIRLY LOW VOLUME LEVELS AND GET GREAT CLARITY.  Not an easy achievement.  Not accomplished by many.

Thanks,

Jeff

JGlacken

Re: New To VS - Need comparison of Unifield 3 and VR-SR4 MK3
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2011, 02:16 pm »
Hi again,

Just wanted to add that most of my music will be played from a Mach2music mac mini, with "Pure Music" player through an Empirical Offramp3/super clock 4 into the Meridian G91 processor.

I don't mean to be a name dropper.  Just sayin'

Thanks again,

Jeff

varsharun

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2011, 11:10 pm »
Hi Jeff,

While the VR4SR can play loudly in large rooms and has more bass slam than the Uni-3, you can't beat the latter when it comes to transparency, imaging and holographic soundstaging. Since you have very good upstream components, the Uni-3 would be perfect for listening at low volume levels with exceptional clarity.

-Arun

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2011, 12:20 am »
Arun is correct but from the description of your room, I would go with the VR4s  :thumb:

Afterimage

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:01 am »
hey there JGlacken.  My room is 14x21 and the Uni 3 has sound plenty big enough for my room.  However, your room is bigger, I'm not sure if the uni's can do the job there.  I have the same source as you too.

JackD201

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2011, 10:18 am »
Trust me. The Unifield 3s can do it, it can even do it with as little as 50 tube or Class A watts. Obviously the SR.IIIs can as well and that the 12" listening distance means they will be well within the SR's optimum listening distance range.

What a nice problem to have man! I have someone else's Uni 3s in my bedroom now and I've got SR MkIIIs permanently in my HT. I can tell you right now I'm glad I don't have to choose between these two.

JackD201

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2011, 11:16 am »
I just realized that was of no help at all. My experience in a nutshell:

Highs - edge Unifield 3

Upper mids - edge Unifield 3

Lower mids - edge SR Mk.3

Bass - edge (big edge) SR. Mk.3

Coherence inside 10 feet - Edge Unifield 3

10 to 15 feet - Draw

15 feet and up - SR Mk.3

Low level listening - non-complicated program material - Unifield 3

complicated program material - SR Mk 3

Party time levels - SR Mk 3

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2011, 12:31 pm »
Jack do you accept PayPal for your consulting fees?  :thumb:

JackD201

« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:24 pm »
Any donation to the Red Cross will do  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

wimck

« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:39 pm »
Maybe my story can help you a bit! 
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72264.0

JGlacken

« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2011, 02:28 pm »
Thank you to all.  Looks like I can't go wrong.  I am sure glad I found this site.  Leaning toward the U3 and the wife will probably be happy also.  She says, get what will make you happy, but I didn't tell her the cost of the VS 11s

Jeff

JGlacken

« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2011, 02:29 pm »
Do you like tubes with the U3s or if SS, what do you recommend?

Thanks,

Jeff

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #12 on: 25 Mar 2011, 08:34 am »
Hello Jeff,

The Unifield III is my favourite speaker too.
They are very musical aspecial when you connect them to the Kronzilla tube-amplifier.

Read this story: http://www.stereomojo.com/KR%20Audio%20Kronzilla%20SX1%20Mk%20II%20Review/KRAudioKronzillaSX1MkIIAmplifierReview.htm

Good luck,

Cor

JackD201

« Reply #13 on: 25 Mar 2011, 09:15 am »
I lean towards tubes for the U3 or Class A operation SS  :D

Definitely tubes in the preamp (I'm biased)  :lol:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 25 Mar 2011, 01:49 pm »
I lean towards tubes for the U3 or Class A operation SS  :D

Definitely tubes in the preamp (I'm biased)  :lol:

http://www.virtualrimshot.com/media/rimshot1.mp3

Afterimage

« Reply #15 on: 25 Mar 2011, 02:18 pm »
Hello Jeff,

The Unifield III is my favourite speaker too.
They are very musical aspecial when you connect them to the Kronzilla tube-amplifier.

Read this story: http://www.stereomojo.com/KR%20Audio%20Kronzilla%20SX1%20Mk%20II%20Review/KRAudioKronzillaSX1MkIIAmplifierReview.htm

Good luck,

Cor

You have those pretty close to the wall.  Obviously it works well there.  Hmm, mine are two feet out and they sound incredible right where I have them.  So much so do I dare messing with placement at this point?  I guess I can mark the floor where I got them now.  I have about 100 hours on them.  Still waiting on my main amp.  For now I am using the Sim Audio W3. 

varsharun

« Reply #16 on: 25 Mar 2011, 07:53 pm »
I'm with Jack on this one - Tubes or class A SS but not any SS. Depending on your budget, the Pass labs XA60.5 is incredible. Albert has great things to say about the Moscode 402au. If you are into integrateds, I highly recommend the Primaluna Dialogue 2 which is what I use.

-Arun

Do you like tubes with the U3s or if SS, what do you recommend?

Thanks,

Jeff

JGlacken

« Reply #17 on: 2 Apr 2011, 03:51 pm »
Hi again,

Can anyone compare the VS Vr4 MK3 to the Genesis 5.3?

Thanks,

Jeff

JGlacken

« Reply #18 on: 4 May 2011, 04:47 pm »
Hi all!!!

I pulled the trigger on the Unifield 3s.  They should be arriving from California some time next week.  I also added Nuforce Ref 9 V3SE monoblock amps to the mix which arrived today.  They are in a copper color which looks rather cool.   I can't wait.  Just like a little kid in a candy store only a lot older.

JackD201

« Reply #19 on: 4 May 2011, 05:08 pm »
Congratulations!

Wow. The Unifield Club is growing! I'm glad I will be baby sitting a friend's Unifield 3s here in my bedroom for quite a while longer as his room is being built. I will be very sad to see them go. Then again, I have all that time to get a pair for myself. My wife has gotten quite attached to them for good reason.