Melody MK88

skeeter99

Melody MK88
« on: 6 Feb 2011, 06:15 pm »
As some of you know, I hosted a GTG at my house last weekend for Angel City Audio. I'm a bit of a clean nut and HAD to get my living room back in place so I packed up the speakers and amps and have had them stored in the garage till I send all the gear back next week to Hugh. I did leave the Trinity LCR speakers out in the HT though so I could have more time with them in a HT environment before I sent them back.

Anyway, I decided today to get the Melody MK88 back out and hook it up to my Strata Mini's. As both of my setups are HT based, I have receivers powering everything. My upstairs living room setup usually has an Onkyo 805 powering everything but lately I've had my HK 254 powering it and the Mini's. The sound with both the Onkyo and the HK are both good, but not spectacular. They still image very well and have fantastic detail. I didn't get a lot of time to listen to this Melody on my gear with the Mini's in the prime spot as we moved them to give the Trinity the main spot for the GTG. I wanted to listen (and yes, selfishly I wanted to look at that GORGEOUS black tube amp more too!!) to this amp more on my Mini's so I brought it upstairs and have been listening to a very ecclectic compilation of music (thanks Nhan for the mix-tape, lol!!) along with some Train and other stuff.

Let me tell you, this MK88 really rocks! I really wish I didn't have to send it back next week! The presentation is so much more cohesive than either of my other amps. Keeping my Rotel RCD-955AX as the source (which I always use) and outputting to the Melody gives an absolutely fantastic soundstage. The speakers really disappear more than they ever have with any amp I've used on them. They present a field of music that is very accurate in placement without being overly analytical. Vocals are presented dead center when they should be or eerily holographic (like with the Pink Floyd: The Wall PT1 and 2) when they should be. Details in the top end are so much more clearly defined its spooky. I've never heard this level of detail out of my Mini's before. They are naturally laid back in presentation and I've always presumed that a tube amp would make them even more laid back but this doesn't appear to be the case. It didn't make them brighter, just brought the detail out that was there before but was being muddied by the amp. I think at first listen that might appear to be making them brighter but I feel its just the detail now being properly presented. In short, ME LIKELY!

Anyway, just wanted to say that I really like this amp. I really need to find a way to get one of these for myself. For those that haven't seen this amp, here are a couple pics from last weekend:

Scott

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Melody MK88
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2011, 06:57 pm »
So, you like it better than the Melody sitting next to it?  Is that a 300B amp?

skeeter99

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2011, 07:14 pm »
So, you like it better than the Melody sitting next to it?  Is that a 300B amp?

I packed up everything after the GTG including the 300B. I got more time with the 300B before and during the GTG as that one was hooked up the most. I wanted to get more time with the MK88 on its own without all the people around.

I think the 300B has a smoother and more liquid overall presentation but is far out of my price range. I really like what the MK88 does as discussed above. It seems more raw to me, more rock. Don't get me wrong though, I was doing some late night jazz listening last night (Acoustic Alchemy) and it was as smooth as butter. They both have such different presentations and I'm not an audiophile so its hard for me to pick the proper words but, for me, I prefer the MK88 for my music tastes.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2011, 07:25 pm »
Glad you liked it Scott!  A reviewer has had one of those for a while and he called it a "live" sound, which I think is appropriate.  The MK88 isn't overly "tubey" or warm sounding, but it's very dynamic, and has that certain natural realism that only tubes can give you.  I suspect your Minis are just benefiting from the great macro and micro dynamics and the additional sense of space that lets you hear the details a little more.

skeeter99

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2011, 07:42 pm »
Glad you liked it Scott!  A reviewer has had one of those for a while and he called it a "live" sound, which I think is appropriate.  The MK88 isn't overly "tubey" or warm sounding, but it's very dynamic, and has that certain natural realism that only tubes can give you.  I suspect your Minis are just benefiting from the great macro and micro dynamics and the additional sense of space that lets you hear the details a little more.

I definitely think you're right. The reviewer has the sound right, its very LIVE which for the music I listen to is fantastic. It really melds with my speakers extremely well. I'm still trying to look through my change drawers, under the couch cushions and in my piggy bank to scrape the money together to buy it!!

Beatcoaster

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2011, 09:09 am »
You and me both brother - I want this amp back in my house!  :thumb:

I definitely think you're right. The reviewer has the sound right, its very LIVE which for the music I listen to is fantastic. It really melds with my speakers extremely well. I'm still trying to look through my change drawers, under the couch cushions and in my piggy bank to scrape the money together to buy it!!

HT cOz

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2011, 01:13 pm »
I have a very similiar amp that is built from the older model. 

I essentially built my system around this amp.  There are three things that have made a huge difference with it:
1). Getting the GR-Research Neo3TL.  These are so much more sensitive that the volume never leaves the quarter position and mostly sits at 1/2 of a quater.  They are also a very easy load which tube amps love.  I am running GR Tripple black plate 5751 pre amp tubes so they have less gain.
2). Replaced the power tubes with Winged C SED 6550
3). I have had the Audio-gd NFB-3 DAC for the last week.  I am actually waiting to recieve a slightly higher grade DAC of the same type.  This made a huge difference it took the live ambiance presence and multiplied it by 2. 

Good Luck Guys
Robert

woofersus

• Industry Participant
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2011, 01:05 am »
Although the Onix H6550 was a very good amp, (and clearly built by Melody) the MK88 is actually quite a bit different.  The H6550 uses (obviously) 6550 output tubes while the MK88 uses KT88's.  They share the 4 6SN7's, but on the MK88 the pair of 12AX7's have been replaced by 6AK5's.  The H6550 puts out 50wpc in Class AB while the MK88 provides only 32wpc but in Class A.  It's possible they share some circuit design characteristics, but I'm guessing they just used the same tube layout for practical and aesthetic reasons.  I haven't heard the H6550 myself, however, so I could not offer any comparisons.

The MK88 is also auto-biasing and has a remote control, but Melody has made those upgrades to all of their amplifiers at this point.

skeeter99

« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2011, 01:18 am »
Although the Onix H6550 was a very good amp, (and clearly built by Melody) the MK88 is actually quite a bit different.  The H6550 uses (obviously) 6550 output tubes while the MK88 uses KT88's.  They share the 4 6SN7's, but on the MK88 the pair of 12AX7's have been replaced by 6AK5's.  The H6550 puts out 50wpc in Class AB while the MK88 provides only 32wpc but in Class A.  It's possible they share some circuit design characteristics, but I'm guessing they just used the same tube layout for practical and aesthetic reasons.  I haven't heard the H6550 myself, however, so I could not offer any comparisons.

The MK88 is also auto-biasing and has a remote control, but Melody has made those upgrades to all of their amplifiers at this point.

Thanks for those details. I was pretty sure the MK88 used KT88's so I thought it was weird that the Onix used 6550's. I didn't know that the MK88 was class A though, that's cool. The sound really is tremendous!

HT cOz

« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2011, 06:21 pm »
Sounds pretty different.  Although don't get too hung up on the 6550 tubes as it can use either KT88 or 6550.  Anyone have any photos of whats under the hood?

skeeter99

« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2011, 06:37 pm »
Sounds pretty different.  Although don't get too hung up on the 6550 tubes as it can use either KT88 or 6550.  Anyone have any photos of whats under the hood?

I didn't ever take it apart. I don't feel comfortable doing that with an amp that isn't mind :)

sandbagger

« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2011, 07:32 pm »
I havent had one apart yet :o 

But they are all Point to Point wired now :thumb:

HT cOz

« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2011, 07:37 pm »
Deleted

sandbagger

« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2011, 07:41 pm »
HT cOz

That is not a picture of the MK88, as I can see from the picture it has a stepped volume control and also manual Bias adjuster boards on each side.

All new Melody amps are auto-biasing and have remote volume controls.

HT cOz

« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb 2011, 08:40 pm »
I deleted my post.  Too confusing I guess.  My point is that Melody amps in general respond well to having a good DAC in front of them.  Meaning in my Melody manufactured amp it increased the sense of "there" by 2x...

woofersus

• Industry Participant
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2011, 08:53 pm »
I deleted my post.  Too confusing I guess.  My point is that Melody amps in general respond well to having a good DAC in front of them.  Meaning in my Melody manufactured amp it increased the sense of "there" by 2x...

Good to know.  I'll have to try the Onix DAC-25 with one.

skeeter99

« Reply #16 on: 17 Feb 2011, 05:42 pm »
Tim, woofersus, just posted this over at AVS and I thought it applied here too:

Well, I don't have any pics myself, but 6moons did a factory tour with Melody back in 2008 and did a very nice write-up on it with lots of pictures. I share it with the caveat that there is outdated information in the article as the factory has seen some upgrades in the last 2.5yrs and of course there are many products pictured that have been updated since the article's writing and a few that have been discontinued or were never available here.

In fact, some of the upcoming improvements mentioned at the end have now been implemented and the new high(er) end line they were working on is now here. (you can see the AN300B sitting on Scott's shelf next to the MK88 above)

You can view it here: http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatur...na/melody.html

Good link to an article about Melody! Thanks Tim!

Scott

skeeter99

« Reply #17 on: 9 Mar 2011, 04:55 am »
Sent the amp back a week ago, I miss it  :banghead:  It was the single biggest upgrade I've put in any of my systems to date. If you get a chance to hear one of these or better yet, buy one then jump on it! Gorgeous in ALL of the applicable ways to audio gear  :thumb:

Alex Prosak

« Reply #18 on: 23 Oct 2012, 08:53 pm »
Thanks for those details. I was pretty sure the MK88 used KT88's so I thought it was weird that the Onix used 6550's. I didn't know that the MK88 was class A though, that's cool. The sound really is tremendous!

Waaaay late to this old thread, I too have the Onix 6550 amp.  The only reason that AV123 opted to use the 6550 tube instead of KT88's is that MLS preferred the sound, it was originally going to ship with the KT88's.  At least that's what MLS told me.  I'd love to hear the two integrated's side by side.  Still loving my 6550 and Mini's though.  :D 

Gopher

« Reply #19 on: 25 Oct 2012, 12:47 am »
I owned an mk88 and it was a tremendous amp for the coin.  It was a gateway drug that led me to an an211.