power line treatment survey

Re: power line treatment survey
« Reply #60 on: 20 Jan 2013, 03:54 pm »
Jerry, Yes!  Before installing the new branch circuit I traced each outlet and devices on the household circuit I had been using.  There was a large CRT type TV, 2 computers/monitors, various light fixtures and all my stereo gear.  That was years ago and many of those devices have been replaced with green appliances.

One and a half

« Reply #61 on: 7 Jan 2014, 08:52 am »
System runs at 240V symmetrical for audio power and 120V control.

25A Supply from Dist board
Monster 1750 Power Conditioner for protection
Equitech 1kVA symmetrical 120-0-120 transformer for noise reduction

Power distribution consists of a controller and distributor. Controller is a Furman PS-8R II Sequencer operating at 120V that operates four 120V coil power relays. Each relay has different timing:
0 (Always On)
1s delay (For Tuners)
5s delay for DAC
10s delay for Amplifiers

Each relay switches the 240V from the Equitech. There are four runs of 2.5mm (~12g) Romex equivalent to distributors which are Furutech FP-SWS (G) Schuko wall outlets.
Plugs are Oyaide P079e with C079 IEC sockets
Power cable : Shielded Supra 2.5mm 3 core

Distance from the Equitech to the Distributor is about 25m.

« Reply #62 on: 7 Jan 2014, 02:14 pm »
I have 2 dedicated lines, both on the same phase in the circuit box. One powers the amp and sources. The other handles phono stage and preamp. The first runs into a homemade Hydra clone PC that I made many years ago for the amp and source equipment using Vishay X-rated caps and Pass & Seymore outlets touted by Bob Crump so many years ago (grip like a vise).

I had previously tried Jon Risch's choked power conditioner but found it did choke out dynamics. http://mysite.verizon.net/vze22yzp/id11.html

I also tried his digital isolation transformer idea, connecting 2 Rat Shack transformers at the secondaries to create a balanced circuit. But I found that the 121 volts going in came out as 117V and that cut dynamics on my CD player also. But it does work wonderfully on my turntable motor :-)

I've found some benefit from using clear quartz crystals at key points and have them incorporated into the power conditioner and circuit box (yeah, they actually make an audible difference).

Power cords are a combo of Triode Wire Labs and Kaplans (the voicing is different for each) and yeah, cords definitely DO make a difference.

I've built Paul Kaplans Felicia's Felix into my cords feeding my flat panel TV's, using high current common mode chokes. These made an incredible improvement int he quality of the picture (highly recommended).
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2014, 04:39 pm by BobM »

« Reply #63 on: 7 Jan 2014, 04:28 pm »
I've built Paul Kaplans Felicia's into my cords feeding my flat panel TV's, using high current common mode chokes. These made an incredible improvement int he quality of the picture (highly recommended).

Bob - Didn't you mean Felix(s) rather than Felicia(s) as you referred to common mode chokes. The Felicia was so 20th century.... :? -Paul

I get them confused too....

« Reply #64 on: 7 Jan 2014, 04:38 pm »
Duh - of course. Names starting with F confuse me  :roll:

« Reply #65 on: 24 Apr 2014, 08:36 am »
I own some fabulous Foundation Research line conditioners that are passive (draw no current to themselves), dedicated (one per component), bi-directional filtering (great for bi-directional digital noise), and they actually work. Their fixed power cables, plugs, IEC connectors, and internal fuses are all cryo-treated via full immersion.

Wall outlets are Furutech (cryo-treated), my 4 dedicated lines back to the service panel are double-cryo-treated (vapored). At the service panel all 4 dedicated lines are running of the same phase/leg.  My ics and scs are cryo-treated (full immersion), as are all components' internal fuses.

When I've exhibited at shows, I used a cryo'ed power cable as an extension cable to an audio-grade cryo'ed power dist. center for the gear to plug into.

All my cabling used to be double-cryo'ed, but last fall I started dealing with Jena Labs, the pioneer of cryo-treating in high-end audio and apparently most other cryo vendors use the inferior vapor treatment methodology.  As Jena Labs put it, vapor treatment is roughly the equivalent of eating half-baked cookies verses fully-baked cookies.  Based on the experiment I did with some silver ics sitting in my closet for 7 years (and other ics and scs) I completely agree with their analogy.  Apparently, that's why my request for 2nd cryo'ing showed improvements over the first.

Lastly, I replaced my separate preamp and amps with a single integrated amp, thus reducing the current draw from the wall and reducing the number of power supplies from having to operate with any remaining potential AC noise.  Which then spreads into the vibration mgmt part of the vineyard since power supplies induce significant internally-generated vibrations and the extra chassis' capture much unwanted air-borne vibrations.  But that's for another thread.

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #66 on: 24 Apr 2014, 09:29 am »

Live in a rural area with little industry and a reasonably modern grid.
Have our own transformer.
Have a 10 year old house with all 12 gauge/20 amp circuits, whole house surge protector, and (then) new appliances.
Have three dedicated cryo'd hospital grade receptacles in my audio man cave, each on a dedicated circuit that share a common independent ground.

IMO power aberrations (the code term) are local phenomenons.  Never had an issue in the last house (50 years old, a horrible rats nest of wiring after several owners/changes), and trying 100% battery system years ago at that house and here made no sonic difference.  I've heard poor quality power, where some call better listening "the midnight hour effect" to me was just an old electrical grid after local industry shut down for the night.  I'm sure old/large/urban grids and buildings have power (and room acoustic) nightmares.  I'd probably punt (low-fi A/V and hi-fi battery based headphone systems).

« Reply #67 on: 30 Mar 2017, 04:31 am »
I have a 20amp dedicated service into the listening room.

Start with an Uberbuss to a PS Audio P300 and Power Plant Premiere to run front end transports and PA's.  Very quiet setup.

The rest runs off batteries!   :thumb:
Please compare PS Audio P300 and Power Plant Premiere for source.