ST tweeter offset placement question

billmcc

ST tweeter offset placement question
« on: 9 Jan 2011, 01:40 am »
I am curious as to if I change my STs to having the tweeter (Dome version) offset to the outside in order to compensate for being too close together. Due to the size of my room and the furniture the STs are only about 6' apart. I sit dead center about 8'-9' away. My thoughts are that spacing the tweeters out that extra amount might help with overall SQ. Basically making it seem that the STs are spaced apart a little bit more. Hopefully after the weekend I can move the STs around and experiment with toe in. It might be a waste of time but I thought I would give it a shot. I would appreciate any thoughts on my plan :).

I searched through about 22 pages in this forum and found this post from Dennis regarding tweeter placement and toe in.

There really aren't any rules on any of this.  Somehow it seems to make more sense to put the tweeters closest to each other, but I don't know why.  It really depends on whether the off-axis response is smoother toward the wide side of the baffle, or the narrow.  And I can't recall that there's much difference.  I don't use any toe-in for the dome version.  The little tweet's dispersion is so broad that it really doesn't make much difference at a normal listening distance.  But feel free to experiment.  The ribbon might profit from a little toe-in, but it's all in the actual listening, not the theory.  If you can pull them out a couple of feet, I would.

Bill

coke

Re: ST tweeter offset placement question
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2011, 01:50 pm »
In my room, with my equipment, etc.....  my speakers sound better with the tweeters on the outside.  The soundstage seems a little wider, the high frequencies seem to be softened a little (might just be in my head), and on some songs, the imaging seems slightly improved.   

TJHUB

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2011, 02:10 pm »
I don't think it makes too much difference.  We measured Nuance's ST-RT's once and they measured "better" with the tweeters on the outside.  Could we hear the difference?  No.  I also believe the midrange is what gives you stage width, but I don't know that for certain.  I say take a few moments and compare for yourself.  It can't hurt.

billmcc

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2011, 04:32 pm »
Coke and Terry,

Thanks for your thoughts :). I will have some time tomorrow to give it a try and will post my impressions. I will not be able to take measurements as I only have basic knowledge of REW using my Rat Shack SPL meter as a mic. I have taken measurements to see how my sub measures in my room but from what I have read the SPL meter is not accurate for higher frequencies. Although I'm sure it is not very accurate for low frequecies either.

One big issue I have in my room (livingroom) is that the right side opens up to a staircase then the diningroom. So basically the left side will have the normal reflections of the side wall where the right side does not. My system including the STs sound excellent but as we all know we as a group are always trying to improve our systems that additional 1% :D.

Terry,

Do you still have the Perseus in your system? Of all the preamps with HT Bypass I have had in my system that is one I wish I still had. I would love to hear it with the STs. Oh well maybe I will come across another one in the future. The one I bought was used from a local seller for $850.00.

Bill

coke

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2011, 06:14 pm »

One big issue I have in my room (livingroom) is that the right side opens up to a staircase then the diningroom. So basically the left side will have the normal reflections of the side wall where the right side does not.

Put some sort of acoustic panel on the left side at the first reflection point.  It should make a BIG difference.

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2011, 06:21 pm »
I am curious as to if I change my STs to having the tweeter (Dome version) offset to the outside in order to compensate for being too close together. Due to the size of my room and the furniture the STs are only about 6' apart. I sit dead center about 8'-9' away. My thoughts are that spacing the tweeters out that extra amount might help with overall SQ. Basically making it seem that the STs are spaced apart a little bit more. Hopefully after the weekend I can move the STs around and experiment with toe in. It might be a waste of time but I thought I would give it a shot. I would appreciate any thoughts on my plan :).

I searched through about 22 pages in this forum and found this post from Dennis regarding tweeter placement and toe in.

There really aren't any rules on any of this.  Somehow it seems to make more sense to put the tweeters closest to each other, but I don't know why.  It really depends on whether the off-axis response is smoother toward the wide side of the baffle, or the narrow.  And I can't recall that there's much difference.  I don't use any toe-in for the dome version.  The little tweet's dispersion is so broad that it really doesn't make much difference at a normal listening distance.  But feel free to experiment.  The ribbon might profit from a little toe-in, but it's all in the actual listening, not the theory.  If you can pull them out a couple of feet, I would.

Bill

As I mentioned in response to your AVS post, I'm also interested in this topic as I will be asking the same thing when my HT2-TLs arrive (probably end of this month).  I hope to get a good idea where to start to minimize the amount of speaker moving I'll have to do.  The HT2-TLs are heavy and when moving speakers around you always risk damaging/scratching the finish.

Although completely different speakers, I did audition the Magnepan 1.7s a couple times and prefered them with the tweeters to the outside.

TJHUB

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2011, 06:33 pm »
Coke and Terry,

Thanks for your thoughts :). I will have some time tomorrow to give it a try and will post my impressions. I will not be able to take measurements as I only have basic knowledge of REW using my Rat Shack SPL meter as a mic. I have taken measurements to see how my sub measures in my room but from what I have read the SPL meter is not accurate for higher frequencies. Although I'm sure it is not very accurate for low frequecies either.

One big issue I have in my room (livingroom) is that the right side opens up to a staircase then the diningroom. So basically the left side will have the normal reflections of the side wall where the right side does not. My system including the STs sound excellent but as we all know we as a group are always trying to improve our systems that additional 1% :D.

Terry,

Do you still have the Perseus in your system? Of all the preamps with HT Bypass I have had in my system that is one I wish I still had. I would love to hear it with the STs. Oh well maybe I will come across another one in the future. The one I bought was used from a local seller for $850.00.

Bill

Bill,

Your db meter is decently accurate for frequencies less than 3,000Hz, but you will need something like an ECM8000 for full frequency measuring.  Even then, the smallest placement change changes the measurements significantly.  My point is that you can't put too much on the measurements alone.

You should consider treating that left side reflection if you can.  It may help just a bit. 

I do still have the Perseus and I don't plan on parting with it.  I still love it's sound performance and it's working great with my current mix of audio gear.  I may try some new tubes one day, but for now I think I should leave well enough alone. :wink:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2011, 09:48 pm »
Off setting tweeters helps to allay diffraction effects cause they will be more spread out over time.  To open up a stage between and beyond your speakers move your listening position much nearer to the plane of your speakers or your speakers nearer to where you sit or some of both and then re-play with toe-in for further improvement.  You should try this IME if you can.

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2011, 06:53 pm »
I don't think it makes too much difference.  We measured Nuance's ST-RT's once and they measured "better" with the tweeters on the outside.  Could we hear the difference?  No.  I also believe the midrange is what gives you stage width, but I don't know that for certain.  I say take a few moments and compare for yourself.  It can't hurt.

Yup yup!  Down the road I thought I heard a difference, but it was probably in my head.  Who knows!?  Definitely try it and go with whichever sounds best.
Put some sort of acoustic panel on the left side at the first reflection point.  It should make a BIG difference.

^This