So I bought some Grado's, now I understand what all the fuss is about.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
I bought some used Grado SR60's from a very nice guy over at Head-Fi, I wanted the original version because they are so well regarded. First of all these sound exactly like what I think good headphones should sound like. If this is the Grado sound then I'm all in...my intention was to buy these and mod them inch by inch as per a thread over there at Head-fi but I'm not touching these babies. I did purchase the large replacement ear pads which happened to arrive at the exact same time the cans did, very cool how it all came together. The sound is open, airy and easily the most pleasureable sounding headphones I have owned. My other sets include Ultrasone Hfi-700's, AKG K430's and some forgettable SONY's that really disappointed me. The stock phones without the large ear cushions were just OK to wear, not super uncomfortable but I could see where after awhile they would be so the new earpads are a pleasure to wear.
 I wonder how as you go up the Grado line they could make them sound that much better, I'll eventually find out and seek out a listen to the better models but for me and my taste in listening I'd be fine with these for quite awhile. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

AVnerdguy

I have the 60's (at work) and SR225i versions (serious home use). Compared to the 60s they are very similar except the bass on the 225 is better and more defined. The high end maybe just a bit more open but very very close. The 60's are a bargain in my book. Would go well with that Vortexbox you were thinking about....................

eclein

• Volunteer
I just kind of veered off the Vortexbox path and now I firmly headed down headphone lane....LOL. Vortexbox maybe next month..

AVnerdguy have you seen the thread at Head-fi about the mods people do to these, its amazing...there is like multiple pages..I was just gonna do the first two mods but the new earpads took care of the first one.

AVnerdguy

I just kind of veered off the Vortexbox path and now I firmly headed down headphone lane....LOL. Vortexbox maybe next month..

AVnerdguy have you seen the thread at Head-fi about the mods people do to these, its amazing...there is like multiple pages..I was just gonna do the first two mods but the new earpads took care of the first one.

No, I'll check it out. Other than earpads I don't know if I'd want to mod these. Very good as they are.

mcgsxr

I can understand the temptation to go in different directions!

It is hard to stay on one path.

I will continue to play around with Vortexbox and my server, and I also am enjoying playing around with headphones - my interest in headphones was resparked by buying an iTouch to use as a remote for the server.

I know that folks deride wireless headphones, but I am still considering a higher end Sennheiser model.

My vision of being wireless (both headphones and remote, and player) is still dancing in my head...

TheChairGuy

I preferred the SR-60's to the SR-80's a few years ago side-by-side.....I thought it a bit better balanced, overall.

I have not heard the higher line Grado's...pretty happy with the Grado's (but I did have them re-wired with cryo silver wire since to decent effect)

I cut the hole in the earpads and added some constrained layer damping foil to the plastic earpiece (out of sight).  The hole was def helpful....I'm not sure the constrained layer damping was :scratch:

Enjoy, John

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Been a while since i owned a pair of these, i gave them to my Sister when she was visiting from England as they very rarely went on my head When i had a pair of them i thought they were great Rock n' Roll cans ZZ Top, Deep Purple, Bad Company all sounded really good on them.

They seemed to lack detail and nuance on more complicated music but most cans in that price range do.

Like eclein  i had intentions of modded them. Never did get around to it. By that time i had  Beyerdynamic's Dt-880's and a dt-770 and a Akg 501.

Would still like to get a hold of a used pair of Grado 325i's for an extended listening session.

mbakes

The SR-60, at least the older models were a bargain in headphone listening.  I have a pair and probably always will.  I'm not a big fan of the 325i, although have not heard them in a long time.  I prefer the 225 or the past to the 325 or 325i.  I think the sweet spot in the Grado line is the HF-2, which is a limited edition made for Head-Fi members.  It is like a baby PS-1, which is probably my favorite Grado headphone.  I listen to speakers far more than headphones these days.  Right now I have Schitt Valhalla and HF-2's and it's a great under $1,000 headphone set up.

eclein

• Volunteer
I noticed that if you cup your hands around the cups while they are on your head it really takes away that open sound which is what I'm lovin, so I'm not gonna screw with that. The earpads I installed have the center of the pad removed and they made them sound magnitudes better. Like I said earlier, I'm not touching these babies..no way, these are pretty special...the upgraded earpads are comfy and make them sound even better so thats the extent of anything I currently plan. I got a lot of music to listen to again...FUN STUFF!!

AVnerdguy

I noticed that if you cup your hands around the cups while they are on your head it really takes away that open sound which is what I'm lovin, so I'm not gonna screw with that. The earpads I installed have the center of the pad removed and they made them sound magnitudes better. Like I said earlier, I'm not touching these babies..no way, these are pretty special...the upgraded earpads are comfy and make them sound even better so thats the extent of anything I currently plan. I got a lot of music to listen to again...FUN STUFF!!

Which earpads did you go to Ed? Wow - there's a lot of threads at Head-fi and Teri has gone nutz with the new Netflix thing and my surfing has slowed down considerably! I'll plow through some of that when she eases up on the bandwidth.....

eclein

• Volunteer
I got these at headroom:

http://www.headphone.com/accessories/grado-earpads-large-pair.php

Seriously comfy, I could wear these for hours and did last night....woke up with them on this morning...LOL.
 :thumb:

fredgarvin

I have a set of SR80's that have been part of my computer uniform for years.

eclein

• Volunteer
I couldn't resist, I've been modding them....upgraded the earpads-not really a mod but a definite upgrade. I started on the thread over on Head-fi about modding SR60's and I have taken off the white linen like material over the drivers and noticed a bit more definition. The next step is to start taking them apart and tweaking them by poking some holes in the film around the drivers...it sounds worse then it is. I'm working up the courage and looking for a hairdryer...LOL. To melt the glue....aahahhhhhh!!!!!!! I have to try this and see what improvements can be made on the cheap.  :thumb:

AK

• twisterspeakers
Is there anyone who had negative experience with grado 60? Or is it only me?
I honestly can't stand their sound, it's just a torture to listen through them. Very fatiguing sound.
And they are certainly not a bargain. They would be an ok value for $9.99 :)

Jon L

Is there anyone who had negative experience with grado 60? Or is it only me?
I honestly can't stand their sound, it's just a torture to listen through them. Very fatiguing sound.
And they are certainly not a bargain. They would be an ok value for $9.99 :)

LOL.  Grado's are certainly love-it-or-hate it type of thing IME.  I have owned the lovely Grado HP-2 and RS-1 as well as auditioned PS1000, GS1000, and many others in between.  I feel that Joseph Grado's 'phones, especially the HP-1 and HP-2 were the best of the Grado crop with least colorations.  Too bad they now cost way more than they used to  :duh:

bregez

and some forgettable SONY's that really disappointed me. . :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Please tell us what Sony Model.  Some are good cans!  Others are aweful. 

eclein

• Volunteer
The first Sony's I got were MDR-V150 and they just have never gotten good, the high end is non-existent. I also have just gotten some some SONY MDR-XD200 they are ultracomfy so far, more break-in time is needed because they have potential and were very inexpensive, 25ish...
 If anybody knows a way to break these in let me know.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2011, 10:18 am by eclein »

JohnR

Do you want to try a pair of SR-125s?

eclein

• Volunteer
That would be awesome...

JohnR

PM on day way