New model - A/V-3S

scooter

New model - A/V-3S
« Reply #20 on: 22 Mar 2004, 04:05 pm »
Quote from: azryan
"-The Tri-Poles and QuadPoles have been getting the best reviews as far as enveloping sound goes. -"

How do you and/or who defines 'best reviews'??

From what I've seen of the speaker market tri and quadrapole surrounds seem pretty rare as it is.

That's not to say rare means bad at all.

Also 'X'pole just means how many directions a speaker fires. There are tri and quadrapoles that fire sound in drastically diff. ways from other tri/quads.

IMO surround speakers, like scotty seemed to be saying, ...

There are no best reviews because it is all subjective, but if you read enough of them you get a good feel for what other people preferred for music and movies. I have included a few of the reviews below and also an AVS thread on the subject, there are many more such threads on AVS. On balance the best compromise seems to be to use monopoles for LRC and rears and Di/Tri pole speakers for side surrounds, this gives good movie performance and also good multi-channel performance. Unfortunately there is no right answer because eveyone will have a different preference. Personally I will be going with a set of Alpha's in the rear, Alpha's at the front/center and surrounds will likely be quadpole or tripole (4 of them) but I am still investigating this area (If Dannys work well in comparison to a Tripole then I would look at them as I would prefer matching cabinets).

QS8 Review from Wes Phillips
http://www.onhometheater.com/product/20020801.htm

M&K 55 TriPole
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_3/m&k-surround-55-tripole-speakers-7-2000.html

Snell SR30THX very unusual dipole
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_2/snell-xa-speakers-5-2002.html

AVS thread, read the submission by Philip Brandes
http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=744e4d0892aed5087add5905bccf7f61&threadid=149383&highlight=tripole

A general avs thread that gives you a general idea about the comments I have read from a lot of users about tripoles.
http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=fa2061472017eed9d85e70b128548ef8&threadid=90638&highlight=tripole

Another site of interest is the Linkwitz Reily site where he discusses multi-channel sound (he is not a fan and does not view many movies) his take is basicly that surrounds should only be used for ambiencie, he uses 4 upfiring surrounds in his system with only a 4" woofer no tweeter, but his listening is almost exclusively classical.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/surround_system.htm

On the same site is a good explanation of various types of speaker designs including line sources, well worth reading:

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/frontiers.htm

Realistically when personally listening to 5 channel music I prefer only ambience coming from the surrounds, I hate aggressive surround mixes. So for music I agree with Linkwitz.

For movies I like full range rears as in many pans and copters/Jets flying overhead etc without a decent full range speaker in the rear it simply does not sound as seamless, side surrounds are less noticible but I still like to have them capable of producing reasonable bass to at least 80hz minimum.

Just thought I would share as I have been researching building my next theater for over 4 months now and the surround issue is the final remaining decision I have to make.

mnapuran

Re: Surrounds
« Reply #21 on: 23 Mar 2004, 04:42 am »
Quote from: Danny
Yea, a new wall mounted version of the A/V-1 is in the works that can be used as side wall or rear wall mounted surrounds.

Any idea when this may come about Danny?

Danny Richie

New Surrounds
« Reply #22 on: 23 Mar 2004, 04:35 pm »
Any idea when this may come about Danny?

If all goes well I can get back on it this weekend.

mnapuran

Re: New Surrounds
« Reply #23 on: 23 Mar 2004, 04:43 pm »
How is this design going to vary from the AV1 in general?

Danny Richie

differences
« Reply #24 on: 23 Mar 2004, 04:55 pm »
A different shaped box that is vary narrow at the bottom to minimize how far it sticks out from the wall.

It will be using a sealed box design.

The crossover network will be modified to create an accurate response the takes into account the reflections from the wall.

A simply method will be used to make mounting easy too.

mnapuran

Re: differences
« Reply #25 on: 24 Mar 2004, 12:11 am »
A different shaped box that is vary narrow at the bottom to minimize how far it sticks out from the wall.

It will be using a sealed box design.

The crossover network will be modified to create an accurate response the takes into account the reflections from the wall.

A simply method will be used to make mounting easy too.

Will it have the same basic frequency response as the AV1?  

The reason for my questions is as follows:  I could really put a pair of AV1 or AVS2's to use right away, but in the near future (6 months?) I would like to relegate them to surround duty.   Therefore, I'm debating between the AV1's, or this new AV1-Surround.

What is your opinion?

Danny Richie

New model - A/V-3S
« Reply #26 on: 24 Mar 2004, 09:57 pm »
Will it have the same basic frequency response as the AV1

Yes it will have the same basic smooth response and voicing, but the network will be different.

You could simply go with A/V-1's now and relegate them to stand mounted rears surrounds right away when the time comes.

Or you could build the new wall mounted enclosures and order the new crossover network only (as you will have the drivers) and build A/V-1RS's (rear surrounds).

mnapuran

New model - A/V-3S
« Reply #27 on: 25 Mar 2004, 02:30 am »
Yes it will have the same basic smooth response and voicing, but the network will be different.

You could simply go with A/V-1's now and relegate them to stand mounted rears surrounds right away when the time comes.

Or you could build the new wall mounted enclosures and order the new crossover network only (as you will have the drivers) and build A/V-1RS's (rear surrounds).

lol.. gee, don't leave me with all the options ;)

Okay, fine... get finished with the design so I can check it out.  I'll be upgrading to the better crossover components too  :D

RAW

New model - A/V-3S
« Reply #28 on: 3 Apr 2004, 02:33 am »
To all those interested.
I am just finishing veneer on the AV1-S and a few other samples for Danny to use.
So I am sure Danny will get the design done in a week or so :mrgreen:
Ya right.
All in time but worth the wait I think

Al

mnapuran

New model - A/V-3S
« Reply #29 on: 20 Apr 2004, 04:37 pm »
So... Any update on these surrounds?!

RAW

New model - A/V-3S
« Reply #30 on: 20 Apr 2004, 05:09 pm »
cabinets are heading out this weeks to Danny.
Then the rest is in his hands.

Al

mnapuran

New model - A/V-3S
« Reply #31 on: 20 Apr 2004, 07:48 pm »
Quote from: RAW
cabinets are heading out this weeks to Danny.
Then the rest is in his hands.

Al

Can we get some pictures of them?

RAW

New model - A/V-3S
« Reply #32 on: 24 May 2004, 04:13 pm »

Both front firing and non direct  surround

Yes I know I have the tweeter ears to cut out of the last pair for those who notice.
But I really want to get the finish done ASAP.
These are heading out in the AM to Danny.
Enjoy.

Al

IronForge

New model - A/V-3S
« Reply #33 on: 26 May 2004, 05:19 pm »
Nice enclosures...

Danny please post pics after you get the speakers in them and set up :)  Let us know how they work... thanks!

RAW

New model - A/V-3S
« Reply #34 on: 26 May 2004, 05:41 pm »
Thanks.
Not a matched set of 4 as these were done on 2 seperate times.
But the ones that shipped out yesterday to GR are the top firing Cherry.

These in general will be very hard to make without spending time to set angles correct.

I had drivers here tos shoot a few shots but time is a wasting so I got them packaged and out the door.

We will wait for the final design from Danny.

Al

Danny Richie

New info
« Reply #35 on: 4 Jun 2004, 10:01 pm »