Bugle Parts Substitution Questions

sxty8goats

Bugle Parts Substitution Questions
« on: 28 Dec 2010, 09:43 pm »
Hello all,

I've been searching this forum for a couple days but can't seem to find substitutions on a couple parts for the Bugle and power supply which have been discontinued.

Bugle parts:

0.01uF 50v pp Cap
0.22 uF 50v pp Cap (I've found a 250V version, PF2224. Will this work?)

For the power supply, I've found all part except the 15V positive regulator, PN# NJM#78M15fA.

Any substitute parts that I could order from DigiKey? I do have electrical assembly skills but I've always worked from kits and my actual knowledge of components is a bit shameful. If I can get the needed components, I'm going to place the order for the kit/2's for the PS and the Bugle.

Thanks for any help,

PJ

sxty8goats

Re: Bugle Parts Substitution Questions
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2010, 09:53 pm »
Replying to my own post may be in bad taste... But.

On the PS. I read here and there that some used 18V regulators in place of the 15V. I can not find a 500ma version but have found a 1A 18V positive regulator.

LM7818CT-ND for positive side

LM7918CTFS-ND for negative side.

If I were to use these in the PS, are there any other changes needed? Is it even the proper path to take?

hagtech

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2010, 06:29 pm »
Stay with the 15V regs.  You can use the 1 amp variety.

jh

sxty8goats

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2010, 06:41 pm »
Thanks,

Any advice on the Caps for the Bugle?

poty

« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2010, 11:36 am »
On the PS. I read here and there that some used 18V regulators in place of the 15V.
IMHO, I'd not recommend 18V.
0.01uF 50v pp Cap
"slightly" oversized, but still good:
P14255-ND
P12109-ND
0.22 uF 50v pp Cap (I've found a 250V version, PF2224. Will this work?)
The size is the problem here too:
BC2062-ND
P12107-ND
The PF2224 may be OK, but the caps are used in the equalization circuit and better be more precise than 5%.
For me, the choice on the Digikey is limited, so the suggested substitutions are not the best for the circuit.
I've found all part except the 15V positive regulator, PN# NJM#78M15fA.
There are plenty of them:
Digikey->Product Index->PMIC - Voltage Regulators - Linear (33,900 items) ->Voltage-Output = 15V (Apply Filters)->Package Case= All varieties beginning from TO-220 (Apply Filters)-> Mounting Type = Through Hole -> In Stock (check!) (Apply Filters).
For example - NJM7815FA#-ND

sxty8goats

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2010, 05:19 am »
Thanks Poty,

I found a set of 15V, 1A regulators. Just need to find/get the proper caps and I can order up the kits.

I'm not dead set on using Digikey. As long as I can meet the minimum buying limits of the site I do use, I have no preference. I'm just trying to find the best parts I can.

poty

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2011, 09:24 pm »
Just need to find/get the proper caps
If you can solder the suggested caps and they fit in your box the caps will work fine.
I'm not dead set on using Digikey. As long as I can meet the minimum buying limits of the site I do use, I have no preference. I'm just trying to find the best parts I can.
Then it should be some boutique parts. In this case it's better to hear something from people who have already play with tweaking in Bugle.

jcg0322

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2011, 10:21 pm »
i have bugle parts. what do you need?

sxty8goats

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2011, 05:35 pm »
i have bugle parts. what do you need?

I haven't ordered any of them yet. Are you the guy that was selling the complete kits on eBay?