bal cables

rmurray

bal cables
« on: 6 Dec 2010, 03:55 pm »
Hello folks. I wondered if Bryston is still using VanDamme wire for their balanced interconnects? I have a set between the bcd1 and pre. Thought I would get some  between the amps. I have heard better staging and detail going this route.Thanks, ................ rmurray. :idea:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: bal cables
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2010, 04:06 pm »
Hi rmurry,

Yes we are still using the Van Damme balanced cable.

james

rmurray

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2010, 04:12 pm »
Thanks James, I'll get on with the project. :thumb:

klao

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2010, 03:29 pm »
Hi all,

Just want to make sure I remember the principle correctly, the preferred setup for interconnect cable lengths is: shorter from pre to power amp + longer from sources to pre; rather than, longer from pre to power amp + shorter from sources to pre, right?  Thank you.

Klao

srb

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2010, 03:48 pm »
I don't know that there is a hard and fast rule, but I have always wired under the principle that any noise or interference would be heard more in lower level signal and result in a lower S/N ratio.

Unless you are referring to a passive preamp, the shortest to longest order following the level of the signal would be:

Phono
Line level sources
Preamp (active with gain)

There are certainly other factors such as source/input impedances and cable inductance/capacitance, but with most having an unruly gaggle of signal and power cords, some shielded, some not, that is the method to my madness.

Steve