BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS
« Reply #1020 on: 13 Nov 2013, 12:07 pm »
Hi Folks,

Check out the latest review on the Bryston BDA2 and BDP2 combo in the November issue of Hi-Fi News and Record Review Magazine in the UK.

james

CDinsmore

« Reply #1021 on: 31 Dec 2013, 04:53 pm »
Just got my new BDP-1 yesterday and thought I would post some initial impressions.  I've been wanting to buy some sort of music server/streaming solution for quite some time primarily for the convenience.  Despite all the glowing reviews on AudioCirlce, I wasn't quite prepared for how much better the BDP-1 sounds than my old setup where I was sending the digital out of my CD player to my external dac via SPDIF.  It's not a subtle difference with virtually every aspect of performance improved.  What I notice most are the improved dynamics.  A couple times I had to run for my remote to turn the volume down!  So far, all my listening has been done with a thumb drive.  Today I hope to try out a USB hard drive. 

The BDP-1 was also surprisingly easy to setup.  I say surprisingly because I was completely confused reading all the posts on AudioCircle.  I'm using an iPad Mini running MPad to control the BDP-1.  I'm really happy with MPad as it seems to have every function I want and works smoothly and efficiently.   I'd say that if you've been contemplating the purchase of either a BDP-1 or 2 to take plunge.  I don't think you'll regret the decision, and like myself, you'll probably wish you'd done it sooner. 

I do have a few questions, but I'll post them in a more appropriate thread. 

Thanks to Bryston and James Tanner for such a great product. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1022 on: 29 Apr 2014, 01:35 pm »

lhissink

« Reply #1023 on: 1 Jun 2014, 12:38 am »
Just updated the firmware on the BDP-1 to 1.75 - one minor bug in the Max2 interface, the top LH transport buttons - clicking the "play" icon does not result in it changing to the "stop" icon. So if there is no sound, you don't know whether it's playing or not.

Previous firmware was a bit buggy, by the way, but the latest seems to have fixed it.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1024 on: 6 Jun 2014, 08:12 pm »
Date: June 6, 2014 at 2:39:24 PM EDT
To: jamestanner@bryston.com

Hello Mr. Tanner,

I confess to a bit of sticker shock when I first heard the price of the SP3 to replace a Proceed Surround Processor which gave had given up its ghost. I inherited an  amazing audio system which included Wilson Audio Watt/Puppies, a Cub, and Watch Surround Speakers. I had purchased a Bryston BDA-2 to replace a Mark Levingston CD Transport which was the first component from that system to go. With the SP3 in the mix and a great deal of care in speaker placement I have…

…NEVER HEARD SOUND THIS GOOD…

… live or via playback! It really is quite remarkable. I have no regrets for the money spent on the Bryston components.

Thanks, and best regards,

Wayne Williams

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1025 on: 7 Jun 2014, 10:51 am »
Here is another review on the BDP-2

Notes from The Old Audio Guy
Thoughts on the Bryston BDP-2

My initiation into the digitized music world has not been an easy one. Growing up with vinyl LPs and cassettes ifyou can believe it – digital for me was really just the skill set required to put a record on the turntable or push theplay button on the Akai 760D. After a disastrous and costly fling with a batch of pricey British streamers that just never sounded “right” to me, Idecided to “think globally but shop locally” and was introduced to the Canadian engineered and manufacturedBryston BDP-2. I will save you the trouble of looking at the end of this review by telling you now that the Bryston does sound rightto me. In fact it sounds “more right” than any of my vinyl (we will leave cassettes for another time) and better thanmy CD oriented front end of $15k components.

The BDP-2 hits all the notes. It is eminently affordable (by audiophile standards it is a bargain) but nowhere canone see any evidence of cost cutting. The casework and controls are beautifully made and everything works at thelevel of an Omega watch. The BDP-2 does not flaunt itself and is not really “audio Jewellery” but is quietly elegantand totally reliable in operation. Bryston’s record of reliability is unmatched in the audio world. Music played through the Bryston sounds natural and encompassing. It sounds like music and not like Hi-Fi eventhough all of the Hi-Fi triggers are there. It images better than anything I have had in my system. Tonality isaccurate and unforced – the control over the bottom end of things is especially tight and tuneful. There isabsolutely no indication that this piece is “digital” in any way. The sound is organic and is easily as good andholistic as anything I have heard from a class A turntable.

The BDP-2 reminds me of another smartly engineered, self –effacing item that is likely better than it needs to beand seems built to work forever – the Swiss Army Knife. The Bryston has outputs (SPDIF, AES/EBU, Optical) that will accommodate themselves to pretty well any DAC onechooses to use it with- though the matching Bryston BDA-2 is a natural choice. The front mounted USB inputsmake playing music from a USB stick easy. In the rear more USB inputs allow connection of USB sticks or portablehard drive devices. It has 2 Ethernet inputs rather than one (I still have not figured out if using both of themimproves anything – I will have to ask Mr. Tanner from Bryston) – and in keeping with its timely updating from theBDP-1 the Ethernet is now Gigabit rather than 10 Base 100. This is a huge improvement as the BDP-2 not only playsmusic from an attached hard drive but will stream from a NAS across your network. With Gigabit bandwidth thestreaming is as good as the playback from attached drive – there are no latency issues - and uploading operationsare much faster than anything I have tried before.
Accessing it on your Apple device – either iPad or Pod is convenient and elegant using an inexpensive app calledMPad. If you are PC centric Bryston has their own PC based access to the BDP2 which while not as mature andswooshy as the Apple based software is functional and reliable. It also works with the stand alone Bryston remoteor from the front panel controls on the BDP-2 itself.

I love this piece and I have purchased my demo sample, replacing the pricey British streamers and the tuneful butinput restricted Moon 180 Mind in my system. It has changed the way I interface with my music and makes theplayback process transparent and easy leaving one’s mind open to appreciate the music. Which is the whole pointof Hi-Fi in the first place.

FIVE STARS!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1026 on: 8 Jul 2014, 12:10 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: BDA-2 and BDP-2 Review

July 2014

Hi Folks,

Review on the Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player and BDA-2 DAC combo :thumb:

http://www.av2day.com/2014/05/bryston-bdp-2-digital-media-player-bda-2-dac-combo/

bjski

« Reply #1027 on: 8 Jul 2014, 11:20 pm »
Ordered the BDP-2 yesterday. Upgraded the BDA-1 about a year ago to the BDA-2..... time to upgrade my BDP-1 to the BDP-2. I'll move the BDP-1 to the home theater.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1028 on: 9 Jul 2014, 03:35 pm »
SUBJECT:  Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player

July  2014

The Bryston won every A/B test with the expensive Audio Aero Player using the same (also expensive) DAC!

Hidden away in Ste Sauveur, I am here with Jim from Tenor Audio listening off centre stage — and not missing three-dimensional imagery.

A newly installed (connected) Bryston BDP-2 Digital player on the shelf; Audio Aero player preamp and WLM crossovers also visible.

Nice stuff here . . . .

Ernie Fisher
Inner Ear Magazine

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1029 on: 14 Aug 2014, 10:34 am »
Hi James,

I just received my bdp2 and got it installed. This thing never ceases to amaze me! I had previously altered my system and my Mac Mini running Audirvana was sounding really awesome again. But the BDP is just clearly superior...and that's after only 10 minutes of use! Who buys a CD player anymore?! ;)

Anyway thanks again for your help. Oh and the speaker plugs was also a very nice gesture! They're not making a huge difference in my room (a difference none the less) but I plan on trying them in the store in as many configurations as possible.

Thanks!
James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1030 on: 20 Aug 2014, 06:35 pm »
Re: BDA2 and BDP2 Reviews

BDA-2 and BDP-2 user thoughts.

I am new to owning Bryston gear, but not unfamiliar to the brand. First off, I am a techie, being a computer consultant by trade.
Prior to receiving my equipment, I began the 20+ year CD collection of ripping thru DBpoweramp software into my NAS. I also upgraded my home network to Gigabit switches to accommodate the Bryston gear.
...I'm still ripping as I write this, so far over 300 discs in non-compressed FLAC format.

The Bryston gear was easy to hookup. I used the AES/EBU connection with a Madrigal cable.
I have tried various interfaces now. Mpod(on a iPod), MPDroid(on a Samsung Note 2), Bryston Max/Mini(on PC, laptop, various smartphones and Windows 8 tablet), sevenMPC(for my Windows phone 8.1), and Gnome Music Player Client(GMPC) for PC.

Mpod I rate as a 8 out of 10
MPDroid as a 7 out of 10
Bryston as a 5 out of 10
sevenMPC as a 3 out of 10
GMPC as a 8 out of 10

After looking at the MPad video on Youtube, it looks like possibly the winner as far as MPD interfaces go. I am NOT an Apple lover, but they definitely have the best App for the job. I will probably eventually get an iPad Mini for this sole purpose. Each App has their benefits, and it has been fun just using them all.

The Bryston gear itself has exceptional sound quality out of the box(thank goodness no DAC shout), but I noticed as the hours tick by, there is a definite improvement. I first tried it without upsampling my music, but I have a preference to the upsampled sound. If DSD comes to the forefront I will just add another DAC to the BDP-2. Hopefully Bryston will have their own unit. Not sure if I will go for a BOT unit, as by the time it gets out to retail, I will probably have all my discs ripped.

Thanks Bryston for some great digital gear! I can't wait to see how the software matures.

Rod

SkotiPati

« Reply #1031 on: 22 Aug 2014, 11:57 am »
I just bought a second hand BDP-1 unit.

My plan was to free myself from plastic disks laying around my house without any loss in sound quality. I have a Wadia S7i CD Player so going beyond it's transport capabilities was a hard target. I always had doubts that any digital server on the market can even equal the CD Transport of the Wadia on playing ripped CDs. I tried to use Apple Mini and Macbook Pro as a transport with different programs such as Audirvana and Amara. They were great for simplicity but CD Playback of the Wadia was a bit better every time. I am a critical listener so I couldn't really get into this digital media server based system because of my fail attempts. I value the sound always more than how user friendly the system works.

That's why I bought BDP-1 second hand. I didn't want to loose money on it for just a blank shot. I thought I would end up with the same result as my Apple trials.

It was nothing like that. I was hoping to equal in sound quality but no BDP-1 definetely excelled over Wadia's transport. There was so much air between instruments, so much silence and certainty with the music. I was always a Wadia fan so I was depressed and excited at the same time. I still think Wadia's DAC is part of the equation in the great sound I am getting now but there is no comparison between BDP-1 and Wadia's transport. BDP-1 wins in every domain there is at evaluating hifi performance.

I can not get back from using BDP-1. It is impossible. Now my question is; can BDA win over my Wadia DAC. I still don't think it can but now I respect Bryston so much that I will try to find out the answer even if they are not on the same league in terms of price.

Components like BDP come one in ten years. I bought and sold maybe more that 50 components over my hifi adventure and BDP makes into top 3 in terms of most impact on my senses. And I'm talking only about sound quality not about how user friendly is to work with it instead of messing with CDs.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #1032 on: 23 Aug 2014, 09:17 pm »
hi, Skoti!

nice to read about your BDP-experience :D. it's just like James always says: the demo is everything!

happy listening,

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1033 on: 5 Sep 2014, 04:38 pm »
SUBJECT:  Review on BDP-2/BDA-2 Combo

September 2014

Hi Folks,

Review on the Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player and the BDA-2 DAC combination from AudioStream Magazine.

Please see link below:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/bryston-bda-2-and-bdp-2

My favourite comment:
For the final switch, I connected the BDA-2 DAC directly to my MacBook Pro (running Audirvana Plus) via USB and the differences without the BDP-2 in the picture were notable. First off bass response became much more diffuse and overall there was a lessing of the sense of fine grained resolution I got with the Bryston combo. Images were less distinct, tone colors were less distinct as well, and dynamics appeared to take a few steps in the wrong direction, becoming less snappy.

There's no question that the BDP-2 network player offers improved performance over the MacBook Pro in most important areas.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1034 on: 18 Oct 2014, 11:40 am »
To: James Tanner
Bryston Limited

I received my BDP-1 on 09-30-2014 and it has proven to be one of the best audio investments I have ever made, not only with regard to sound quality, but also with regard to the significantly improved control of my two channel system.

My two channel system consists of the following:
Teres Audio Model 255 turntable
Graham Phantom II tonearm
Ortofon MC Windfeld phono cartridge
Cary Audio CD 306 Professional Version SACD/CD/HDCD player
PS Audio PowerBase isolation platforms for turntable and SACD player
Black Diamond Racing isolation Pits and Mk IV Cones
Pass Labs XP-30 line level preamplifier
Pass Labs XP-25 phono preamplifier
Pass Labs X600.5 monoblock power amplifiers
AudioQuest Sky XLR interconnects
AudioQuest Everest speaker cables
AudioQuest LeoPard tonearm cable
PS Audio PerfectWave AC-12 power cords
PS Audio PerfectWave P-10 AC Regenerator
Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL loudspeakers (heavily modified)
Salamander Synergy Triple 30 audio credenza

I listen mostly to instrumental jazz. Listening evaluations are done with well recorded material and consists of describing the quality, size, and three dimensional placement of all sound images in the sound stage. Spatial maps are used to record positions of sound images and their relative size. The BDP-1 is connected to the DAC section of the Cary CD 306 Pro Version SACD player

There were significant differences in image weight, bass detail, bass weight and small improvements in overall clarity and detail as I went from the BPD-1. Playing ripped CD music files through the BDP-1/CD 306 PV combination resulted in music with deeper base, greater sound stage depth, and increased clarity and detail compared to playing the same music file from the original CD through the CD 306 PV. Apparently, bypassing the CD 306 PV's transport removes a significant amount of mechanical and electrical noise.

kzhtoo

« Reply #1035 on: 13 Nov 2014, 05:44 am »
Hi,
I'm considering a BDP and wondering if there's a difference in sonic quality between BDP-1 and BDP-2. I will use it with Chord QBD76HD DAC.
Thanks in advance,
Khin
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2014, 09:00 am by kzhtoo »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1036 on: 13 Nov 2014, 11:30 am »
Hi,
I'm considering a BDP and wondering if there's a difference in sonic quality between BDP-1 and BDP-2. I will use it with Chord QBD76HD DAC.
Thanks in advance,
Khin

Hi Khin

The BDP-1 is no longer in production. just the BDP-2.

james

kzhtoo

« Reply #1037 on: 14 Nov 2014, 02:43 am »
Hi Khin

james

Hi James,
Yes. I understand. The dealer near me still has a demo BDP-1 unit and I'm considering it as I do not need many features. I plan to just use it with thumb drives. But of course, sound quality comes first and I'd like to make sure I won't regret not getting the BDP-2.
Thanks,
Khin

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1038 on: 14 Nov 2014, 11:59 am »
Hi James,
Yes. I understand. The dealer near me still has a demo BDP-1 unit and I'm considering it as I do not need many features. I plan to just use it with thumb drives. But of course, sound quality comes first and I'd like to make sure I won't regret not getting the BDP-2.
Thanks,
Khin

Hi Khin

The BDP1 and BDP2 use the same soundcard so they should sound very similar.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #1039 on: 14 Nov 2014, 06:47 pm »
Hi Khin

james

What ever happened to the recently announced BDP-1USB? I see that it hasn't made it to the website site yet, is it still not yet for sale?