Any Onkyo A-5VL experience?

woof

Any Onkyo A-5VL experience?
« on: 18 Oct 2010, 11:53 pm »
Looking for listener's comments on Onkyo's latest Class D integrated amp.  I like the features, especially the Burr Brown dacs.

Thanks.

srb

Re: Any Onkyo A-5VL experience?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2010, 12:38 am »
Burr Brown (TI), like most other DAC chip manufacturers, has a wide variety of DAC chips in varying performance levels and starting at just over $1 per chip.

Suspecting that a component might sound good because it has "Burr Brown DACs" is therefore kind of meaningless and compounded by the fact that that a DAC's sound is also highly dependent on the power supply and the analog output and filtering circuits.

Steve

woof

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:55 pm »
I like the fact it has "name brand" chips in it rather than "unnamed brand" chips. I prefer to use digital inputs over analog.

Have any listening experience with one?

woof

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2010, 07:23 am »
Well, I've had the amp for about a week now and still have some time to decide on the Onkyo.  Even though Onk states its Hybrid Class D design should run cooler it actually runs hotter than a firecracker.  After playing for about 45 minutes it is uncomfortable to hold your hand on the back of the case which is slotted.  So, what Class D has to do with it baffles me.

So far the sound is something out of the ordinary.  The tone is somewhat detailed but rounded much the same a Class A amp or cheap tube amp might sound.  There is no nasty raggedness around each note but there is somewhat a lack of ultimate transparency.  I have been using both digital inputs rather than the standard inputs which was suggested by another person's review on the net.

So, I'm trying to decide if I can live with a "music lovers" sound or need to move on to something a bit less romantic sounding.   :|

denjo

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2010, 08:03 am »
Probably needs more time to 'burn-in'! It should sound very good given its dual mono config.

*Scotty*

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2010, 02:52 am »
Here is a picture of the guts of the amp.

I don't see much in the way of heat-sinks for the output transistors.
You might try the analogue inputs for the heck of it,it should sound a little different, hopefully not worse.

Scotty

woof

« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2010, 06:58 pm »
After 12 days of use I decided to return the A5-VL.  It was just too smooth and romantic sounding.  It lacked the minimum amount of transparency and presentation I could live with.  Not saying it wasn't detailed but the overall "roundness" of the sound just did not convey a goodly amount of immediacy or presence.

Some people will like its sound, granted, but it wasn't for me.

Pluses:  images really well (dual mono), firm bass control, pace rhythm & timing, wide stage.

Minuses:  lack of immediacy, runs fire cracker hot, only volume is remote controllable, treble overly polite.

Note:  When a manufacturer makes the tone controls +/- 14 db something must be off.  I had bass at "0" and the treble at probably "+12".