Welcome to "Enclosures"

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Welcome to "Enclosures"
« on: 15 Oct 2010, 11:36 pm »
Hi Everyone.

Welcome to the plain and normal zone, where you don't have to feel unworthy if you don't have some fancy type of driver or technology.  Here it's all about conventional speakers with woofer and tweeters installed in boxes.  It doesn't matter if it's standmount or floorstander, mini or mighty.  And we don't care what type of driver; cone, planer, inverted, whatever, or how many or how few.

All topics are welcome from design, to purchase, to implementation, and anything else that strikes your fancy.  I would expect a lot of talk about crossover design, cone materials, driver integration, enclosure type and materials, speaker placement, and of course the all important what are you using now and what should I buy topics.

I hope everyone has fun and welcome aboard.

Let it Roll.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Welcome to "Enclosures"
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2010, 12:06 am »
Excellent idea!!! I'll have some crazy ideas shortly to run by you guys!!
Thanks letitroll98 for starting this....a place to come post ideas about enclosures :thumb: :thumb:

EV-MAN

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2011, 03:56 pm »
Electro-Voice vs JBL.... I am in the market for a pair of 15in woofers. Going to use them in the EV Regency cab. And when I finish them in some K-15 Karlsons. I have owned EV speakers in the past and was pleased. But I here a lot about JBL being so good. Looking to buy new not old. The JBL 2226H is where I am leaning right now but I am open for suggestions. So please tell me what you think. Thanks

Funnehaha

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2011, 03:35 pm »
Hi,

I was just trying to reply to one of the topics in this circle, and when I hit "post" it said I wasn't allowed to do it or something. Did the Audiocircle system "time out" on me because I took to long to compose the reply or something?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2011, 03:55 pm »
Hi,

I was just trying to reply to one of the topics in this circle, and when I hit "post" it said I wasn't allowed to do it or something. Did the Audiocircle system "time out" on me because I took to long to compose the reply or something?

Yes.  Try clicking the "Keep Me Logged In" button when you log on to the site.  Theoretically we have one hour without clicking, I haven't timed it, but it seems shorter sometimes.

wilsynet

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2011, 01:27 am »
Although it's been awhile now, I can't seem to get used to the "Enclosures" name, which still makes me think that we're talking about cases rather than speakers.  You know, enclosures for DIY amplifier and DAC projects.

Wouldn't just "speakers" or "box speakers" or something with "speakers" in the name be better?  I understand there's an open baffle speaker forum, maybe when someone posts about OBs here you just move it over to the OB forum.  I think this is OK because the vast majority of speakers is this enclosed, box speaker type that we talk about in the enclosures forum.

Two cents isn't worth what it once was, but there you go, my two cents.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2011, 04:06 am »
Thanks for the feedback wilsynet.  There appears to be two schools among the facilitators here at AC regarding circle names.  On one side we have "The Path of Least Resistance", "The Apple Core", "Ender's Game", "Eye-Fidelity", and "Enclosures".  The more predominate is a simple statement such as "Power Conditioning", or "Open Baffle Speakers".  I thinks there's room for both and all of the flavors in between.  Personally, when faced with the alternatives of "Box Speakers" or "Conventional Speakers", I felt "Enclosures" had an elan, a savoir-faire, that was lacking in other alternatives, yet was still descriptive enough to get the idea across. 

Your concern is valid and one I do understand, and I appreciate you waiting to see if the name would grow on you, but absent a groundswell of negative response, I think the name will stick.   

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jul 2011, 08:12 pm »
Whoops :oops:.  Wrong place and time.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 3 Jul 2013, 03:40 am »
Just a quick note to inform everyone the "Bass Place" has been merged with "Enclosures" by JohnR.  I think this will work great and is a positive move.  I'm going to leave the stickys from the Bass Place up in the interests of continuity.  If anyone has any other suggestions for a smooth transition, please feel free to voice anything you would like to.

Guidof

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jul 2013, 07:17 pm »
Personally, I find the merger of The Bass Place (clear and specific) with Enclosures (vague, non specific) rather disconcerting. Some topics under the former thread (e.g., DSPeaker) have nothing to do with "enclosures" except perhaps in the broader sense that a listening room is an enclosure. ;-)

I suggest a poll of circles users might be preferable as a means of selecting a thread name and topic.

Regards,

Guido F.

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jul 2013, 11:37 pm »
Guido, frankly, a number of us would rather forget about the Bass Place completely.

As far as the DSPeaker is concerned, that's not even a bass solution, AFAIK it's a full-range one. It would fit well in a circle for signal processing, a proposal that I would vote for, should you care to make the effort...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71779.0

Guidof

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jul 2013, 05:57 pm »
Guido, frankly, a number of us would rather forget about the Bass Place completely.

As far as the DSPeaker is concerned, that's not even a bass solution, AFAIK it's a full-range one. It would fit well in a circle for signal processing, a proposal that I would vote for, should you care to make the effort...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71779.0

I do not share your apparent dislike for The Bass Place.

While the DSPeaker is also a DSP unit (and a DAC and a preamp), its main purpose is DRC in the low frequency range, as indicated by its Anti Mode middle name.

Regards,

Guido F.

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jul 2013, 10:10 am »
Well, regardless, it would fit well into a "signal processing" circle. The opportunity is open...

Reldvs1

« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2023, 09:19 am »
Does anyone know a business where you can have custom enclosures built and shipped to you?

I tried AK but they haven't responded to any requests when I've tried to contact them thru email.  I guess I'm going to have to try to call them instead.  But I'm also liking for any other suggestions

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2023, 02:47 pm »
Does anyone know a business where you can have custom enclosures built and shipped to you?

I tried AK but they haven't responded to any requests when I've tried to contact them thru email.  I guess I'm going to have to try to call them instead.  But I'm also liking for any other suggestions

There’s a few that hang out in the GR Research circle.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2023, 04:27 pm »
For less cost and more control over the final result you could put the plans on paper and locate a carpenter near you. You would do the drivers placement/solders, the internal painting and the internal stuffing do modeling the bass to your personal taste.
Just a idea.  :roll:
« Last Edit: 27 May 2023, 05:34 pm by FullRangeMan »