MPC/Mini Power cable for Mac Mini...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
MPC/Mini Power cable for Mac Mini...
« on: 23 Sep 2010, 08:46 pm »

I'm proud to announce the MPC/Mini power cable for the Mac Mini computer.  There has been some discussion about the Mac Mini and the lack of improvement aftermarket power cables were bringing to the sonic presentation.  Not knowing any better I decided to delve into what makes the Mini tick and as a result I have developed a power cable that elevates the performance of the Mac Mini to a new level.  It is a great addition to the older Mac Mini's with the brick power supply, and simply outstanding on the new, 2010 Mini!!!

The MPC/Mini power cable gives the Mac Mini a bigger, wider, deeper (BWD) soundstage with extended, full lows and a much sweeter high end.  The best part is the midrange:  definition and clarity with less grunge in this critical area.  To put it bluntly, this sucker ROCKS!  The MPC/Mini power cable is cryogenically treated and features a polished Wattgate Edison plug.

The MPC/Mini is out of the prototype stage and I have ordered the parts to produce a run of this outstanding power cable.  They should be here in a week or so.  The cable will retail for $299.00.  I am taking preorders on these cables at the reduced price of $225.00 + 12.00 shipping and handling.  This special introductory price will be good for one month only, so if you have a Mac Mini and want to get in on a super deal, ORDER NOW!  I will begin shipping these cables in two weeks with a one week interruption for the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest.  To get yours soon, get your order in ASAP.

As I have stated in the past, my website sucks and I do not have the time to rebuild the site right now.  There has been a huge amount of identity hacking and theft done through websites such as mine, so I am only taking orders through: info@piaudiogroup.com  : ie., direct contact. I do not want to be a source of grief for anyone and by dealing with you directly we can avoid all of these complications.  I will be deleting the BUY IT NOW function from my website for security reasons.  Besides, I like dealing directly with my customers, getting to know you and thereby being able to craft my products specifically for your application.

I am quite pleased with the direction that digital audio has taken.  It is only recently with the marriage of relatively inexpensive music servers like the Mac Mini and USB DACs such as the dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC, that true "high end" reproduction rivaling analog is within the financial grasp of the Middle America music lover.  This is a very good thing.

There are additional cables coming, but the MPC/Mini just had to be the first release.

Dave

highfilter

Re: MPC/Mini Power cable for Mac Mini...
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2010, 09:17 pm »
Dave, you dog you. E-mail sent!

Can't wait to sink my teeth into this one. Hard to imagine my source sounding better (Mac Mini). Mmmmh. :drool:

dmccombs

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2010, 09:32 pm »
Hard to imagine my source sounding better (Mac Mini). Mmmmh. :drool:

I had thought the same thing, and I wasn't looking to make any system changes.  But... This cable make the stock cord sound like, well like a stock cord (relatively flat, blah).

Dave's cord allows a more detailed and dynamic sound to shine through, and the soundstage is improved.  I didn't really expect this cord to make a change, after all, its just a computer.  But the change was obvious and I hated having to give the demo cable back.  I hope to get mine soon.

Darrell

highfilter

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2010, 09:36 pm »
I had thought the same thing, and I wasn't looking to make any system changes.  But... This cable make the stock cord sound like, well like a stock cord (relatively flat, blah).

Dave's cord allows a more detailed and dynamic sound to shine through, and the soundstage is improved.  I didn't really expect this cord to make a change, after all, its just a computer.  But the change was obvious and I hated having to give the demo cable back.  I hope to get mine soon.

Darrell

That's very nice news. Adding aftermarket power cables to any of my components has improved the sound quality, no doubt. But my system has never sounded this good, and if it keeps getting better, boy oh boy.

If I learned anything in the past year, it's that clean power and power in general, make a HUGE difference in an audio system. Dave's Buss has improved my setup leaps and bounds, and I look forward to anything he has up his sleeve. :)

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2010, 09:43 pm »
That's awesome!

low.pfile

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2010, 11:58 pm »
Dave,
It's great that you have addressed the PC for the mac mini. I look forward to hearing the results.

I have a couple of practical questions:

1. Length. What is the standard length for the $299 price?

2. Bend radius. Given that these Mac Mini's are tiny, adding a thick power cord with a large bend radius could result in a "tail wagging the dog" scenario, especially with the 2010 unibody Mac Mini. The small size of the MM are allowing many people to tuck them into the back of cabinets or near the rear of a shared shelf. Though, if the PI Audio MPC cable has a huge bend radius, this may preclude MacMini placement options. Sure, some will say "So what", but others do factor that in due to limited space. I am in the latter camp. Tradeoffs exist of course, but I am curious. Can you provide a photo with it attached to a MacMini?

Regards, ed

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2010, 12:12 am »
Dave,
It's great that you have addressed the PC for the mac mini. I look forward to hearing the results.

2. Bend radius. Given that these Mac Mini's are tiny, adding a thick power cord with a large bend radius could result in a "tail wagging the dog" scenario, especially with the 2010 unibody Mac Mini. The small size of the MM are allowing many people to tuck them into the back of cabinets or near the rear of a shared shelf. Though, if the PI Audio MPC cable has a huge bend radius, this may preclude MacMini placement options. Sure, some will say "So what", but others do factor that in due to limited space. I am in the latter camp. Tradeoffs exist of course, but I am curious. Can you provide a photo with it attached to a MacMini?

Regards, ed
The standard length is 1.5M (5').  The cable is thick, but quite flexible.  It will do a 2" radius bend without too much of a problem.  The limiting factor is the C7 IEC connector which sticks out about 2" including the heat shrink.  I'll get a picture of it on a Mini as soon as I can.  One of the things that the Albuquerque contingency has found is that the Mini responds very well to a bit of mass loading.  Firms things up a bit.  The sucker is just tiny and light, huh?

Dave

Audioclyde

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2010, 12:36 am »
Dave,

Anything in particular you guys have found that works well to mass load the Mac mini?

Randy

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2010, 01:23 am »
Dave,

Regards, ed
Ed,

This is the only picture that I could come up with right now.  It is very blurry but shows the power cable with an easily attainable radius.

Sorry for the cruddy visual.  I'll get better ones when I have 'real' pictures taken.   :roll:

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2010, 01:28 am »
Dave,

Anything in particular you guys have found that works well to mass load the Mac mini?

Randy
Every system is different as is taste of presentation.  Depending upon the footer (yeah, those, too) arrangement a weight of ~6 oz seems to work well.

"We" need to sit down and do a pictorial application study on all of the tweaks that have been tried.  Are you listening, Darrell?   8)

Dave

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2010, 01:55 am »
Dave,
Congratulations on the new power cable for the Mac Mini!   :thumb:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2010, 04:51 am »
Dave,
Congratulations on the new power cable for the Mac Mini!   :thumb:
Thanks, Rich.  It is a good one.  You'll like it at RMAF.  Just under 4 weeks, my friend.

Dave

highfilter

« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2010, 07:44 am »
Hey Dave,

that Essential USB Cable is something else, isn't it? Just got mine a week ago and it has really impressed me and brought up USB into the high-end for me. I wasn't impressed with the sound coming out of the Mac Mini until I got that cable. Sweet stuff.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2010, 02:54 pm »
Hey Dave,

that Essential USB Cable is something else, isn't it? Just got mine a week ago and it has really impressed me and brought up USB into the high-end for me. I wasn't impressed with the sound coming out of the Mac Mini until I got that cable. Sweet stuff.
Yes, it is.

It always amazes me how the little things that we take for granted are the make it or break it components of a system.  The "wire is just wire" bunch is really missing the boat.

To get an idea of how little things influence the sound of your system, here is something for you to try.  Tonight give your system a good listen.  Put on a familiar track and play it a couple of times all of the way through.  Then shut your system down, unplug the Mac Mini power cord at the computer or power supply brick (depending on the version), turn the C7 plug over and then reinsert it.  Boot the computer up and then play the same track.  You will find that the polarization of the plug into the Mini power supply will alter the sound a little bit.  The Mini sounds better with the power plug inserted one way over the other.  Not a profound change, but one of those little things that adds up.  Get enough of the tiny changes and pretty soon you have a much better sounding system.

Ain't it weird?   :lol:

Dave

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 24 Sep 2010, 03:00 pm »
Dave you're scaring me with all this wire talk...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2010, 03:37 pm »
Dave you're scaring me with all this wire talk...
I know, Jason, but you will have to hear this cable.  Every person that has tried the cable or heard it all agree that it kicks serious butt.

This is one place that you and I have a gentleman's agreement to disagree.  I have been to the mountain and I have heard the glory.....  :green:

Dave

highfilter

« Reply #16 on: 24 Sep 2010, 05:22 pm »
Yes, it is.

It always amazes me how the little things that we take for granted are the make it or break it components of a system.  The "wire is just wire" bunch is really missing the boat.

To get an idea of how little things influence the sound of your system, here is something for you to try.  Tonight give your system a good listen.  Put on a familiar track and play it a couple of times all of the way through.  Then shut your system down, unplug the Mac Mini power cord at the computer or power supply brick (depending on the version), turn the C7 plug over and then reinsert it.  Boot the computer up and then play the same track.  You will find that the polarization of the plug into the Mini power supply will alter the sound a little bit.  The Mini sounds better with the power plug inserted one way over the other.  Not a profound change, but one of those little things that adds up.  Get enough of the tiny changes and pretty soon you have a much better sounding system.

Ain't it weird?   :lol:

Dave

Dave, I thought you were saying your hearing is nothing like it used to be? Jeez, it must have been Godlike back in your teens. :lol:

I might try that Mac Mini trick sometime, but nothing beats the look of a jaw dropping when you take the entire system off an UberBUSS and go back to the standard wall power. Ouch.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #17 on: 24 Sep 2010, 08:53 pm »
Dave, I thought you were saying your hearing is nothing like it used to be? Jeez, it must have been Godlike back in your teens. :lol:

I might try that Mac Mini trick sometime, but nothing beats the look of a jaw dropping when you take the entire system off an UberBUSS and go back to the standard wall power. Ouch.
Not really.  Back then I didn't know how to listen.  Critical listening is a learned response.  A person doesn't need the ears of a bat to listen critically.  Frequency response/transfer function of the ear is only a part of the process.  Ear training is like anything else - you have to know what to listen for, how to listen for it and what it means when you hear what you hear.  The big "quantifier" in a non-quantifiable (subjective) process like listening is clarity.  Is everything that is in the recording clearly delineated?  Is it clearly placed?  Is it clearly sitting in its' own little or big space? 

Being a child of the 60's and all of the "mind expansion" that was going on back then really did put me in touch with my senses (except for common sense... a completely different issue) and it has stuck with me to this day.  I became fascinated with the aspects of how and why things sound the way they do in recordings.  Just an old hippie that couldn't get away from the music, I guess.

Dave

dmccombs

MPC/Mini Power Cable
« Reply #18 on: 25 Sep 2010, 11:41 pm »
I just got the MacMini cord from PI Audio Group today.  I had heard a prototype a couple of weeks ago and loved it.  This production cord is even better.  I've had it in the system an hour and even without being broken in, it spanks the stock cord.   :flame:

The biggest thing I notice in my system with this cord is that things are much more dynamic.  A veil seems to have been lifted that I didn't previous know was there.  There is greater clarity, the bass is more apparent yet just as tight as before.

The music is more lively without sounding bright or harsh.  Its like if we were walking around with a 30lb back pack, then were allowed to take it off.  The music has a spring in its step, more punch, more open.  It is not subtle.   :hyper:

I know I went into this thinking that changing the computer's power cord would do nothing.  But, this change was as dramatic as upgrading the stock cord on an amp, preamp, or CD player.

This cord now has an hour on it.  You may have to hear me gush more once it breaks in a bit.  The cord is that good.   Sorry...   :dunno:

Darrell

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: MPC/Mini Power Cable
« Reply #19 on: 26 Sep 2010, 02:13 am »
I just got the MacMini cord from PI Audio Group today.  I had heard a prototype a couple of weeks ago and loved it.  This production cord is even better.  I've had it in the system an hour and even without being broken in, it spanks the stock cord.   :flame:

The biggest thing I notice in my system with this cord is that things are much more dynamic.  A veil seems to have been lifted that I didn't previous know was there.  There is greater clarity, the bass is more apparent yet just as tight as before.

The music is more lively without sounding bright or harsh.  Its like if we were walking around with a 30lb back pack, then were allowed to take it off.  The music has a spring in its step, more punch, more open.  It is not subtle.   :hyper:

I know I went into this thinking that changing the computer's power cord would do nothing.  But, this change was as dramatic as upgrading the stock cord on an amp, preamp, or CD player.

This cord now has an hour on it.  You may have to hear me gush more once it breaks in a bit.  The cord is that good.   Sorry...   :dunno:

Darrell
Darrell,

Thanks.  That is one of the perks associated with living close to the source.

:thumb:

Dave