Antelope Audio Zodiac + (evolving review)

roscoeiii

Re: Antelope Audio Zodiac + (evolving review)
« Reply #40 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:56 pm »
Thanks Bigfish.

And I for one am going to start a "keep the K" campaign on this thread. :thumb:

-Roskoe

kenreau

« Reply #41 on: 19 Oct 2010, 08:01 pm »
I ran both SPDIF (rca coax) and AES/EBU (xlr) inputs on the Zodiac Plus, and although they sounded a bit better than the USB input initially (using my Weiss DAC2 as firewire to digital output interface) after the pre-requisite 200+ hours of break in the USB (mini and all) input was just as good, if not better, and that Weiss interface is no slouch.  I used a Wireworld Ultraviolet USB cable with standard connections, and then attached a mini-b adapter I got through Lee (cryoparts).  Sounded fantastic.

Thanks for the info. Ted, that is interesting and encouraging.  Sounds like Antelope has their asynchronous USB port dialed in.  I just cringe at the idea of needing to insert a usb-spdif converter pre-DAC.

Any comments on listening to the balanced xlr vs. single ended analog outputs?

Thanks
Kenreau

doctorcilantro

« Reply #42 on: 19 Oct 2010, 08:23 pm »
Thanks for the info. Ted, that is interesting and encouraging.  Sounds like Antelope has their asynchronous USB port dialed in.  I just cringe at the idea of needing to insert a usb-spdif converter pre-DAC.

Any comments on listening to the balanced xlr vs. single ended analog outputs?

Thanks
Kenreau

I use balanced, and thought that sounded a bit more dynamic, but honestly both ways sound REALLY wonderful (via AES from Lynx AES16)

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #43 on: 19 Oct 2010, 09:12 pm »
I currently have it setup like this:

Computer -> GoldX firewire cable 4-6pin w/adapter -> Saffire Pro 24 DSP firewire interface -> wireworld spdif -> Zodiac+

And the sound is fantastic.  I will be comparing to straight usb soon hopefully.  FYI, no word yet on when my upgraded power supply will ship from Welborne Labs. 

edit: Welborne Labs power supply has shipped.
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2010, 11:11 pm by tigzstudio »

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
Update
« Reply #44 on: 22 Oct 2010, 06:18 pm »
Igor Levin reports being in late beta stage on an OS panel for the Zodiac+ which, like the Weiss DAC2, will allow you to open a device window on your computer to set certain preferences for the machine. The Weiss for example allows you to select your preferred sampling rate in iTunes from anywhere of 44.1 to 192kHz in such a window (Amarra of course overrides that but that's another story).

I'll learn more as Igor sends me the beta disc or a link to a parked file but one feature he already mentioned is a reverse volume control readout where 0 = mute and 100 full blast. There obviously will be a lot more functionality embedded in that software panel. This is another sign I think that this is a serious product with serious people behind it. Igor was on the road in Holland so didn't have time to clue me in to everything this panel will do.

Re: break-in, I had about 200 hours when I penned my observations (plus whatever the European senders put on it). One of my readers told me his unit took 800 hours. Uh, sorry - if I'm supposed to break in all review loaners for that length of time, I'd never get anything done. In that case, I really have to expect the manufacturer or his agent to dispatch fully preconditioned units *and* let me know that's what's required and that's what they did. Nobody said nothing so after about 10 days of mostly non-stop action with my iMac on endless random play, I started to listen in earnest...  :thumb:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #45 on: 22 Oct 2010, 06:24 pm »
Srajan,
Thanks for that.  I heard about the OS panel, too.

Yes, my email to you mentioned 200 hours, and I think 300 is more accurate.  I can't honestly say I heard anything beyond 300 hours, and agree if that is the case (often is with Dan Wright's stuff, for example..my KWA150 monoblocks settled in around 600 hours..those are big caps) then they need to get you a pre-owned certified model for review. :)

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #46 on: 22 Oct 2010, 06:53 pm »
Yes, Dan made sure the KWA100 and SE arrived pre-cooked ready to eat -:)

The Zodiac+ is a very good piece. If they beef up the power supply in the Gold--that's where I suspect a high potential for advances in the body/bass/color/impact area--improve on the currently somewhat funky volume control so you get to each step you want without fail... this could become the new go-to machine. Of course at the Gold's projected price (I've heard $3.500 - $4.000 projected), we're on a different plateau again but still half of what the Weiss 202 sells for (which I haven't heard) and close to my Weiss DAC2 (€3.000 here in Europe). If they decide to send me the Zodiac Gold as a follow-up review (I hope but that's entirely up to them), it might get very sweaty around here  :oops:

One thing seems very clear - Igor understands digital at a very high level. You only get this type of resolution, air and soundstage magic if timing is spot on and phase and jitter errors very low. Cynical bystanders could be turned off by the marketing lingo on his website but the fact is, his solutions work and they have to call 'em something.

In my mind I see the Zodiac front end coupled to the Wyred4Sound output stage/power supply (or equivalent). That could be the hammer. Of course others play at the $10.000 and up level of DACs and such and who knows what happens there. That simply leaves me out and where I like to focus...

Ericus Rex

« Reply #47 on: 22 Oct 2010, 07:53 pm »
Hi Srajan,

How would you compare the Antelope to your DAC2?  I've heard the Weiss Minerva (similar I'm told to the DAC2), but have never heard the Antelope.  All comments appreciated!

doctorcilantro

« Reply #48 on: 22 Oct 2010, 08:27 pm »
Srajan,
Thanks for that.  I heard about the OS panel, too.

Yes, my email to you mentioned 200 hours, and I think 300 is more accurate.  I can't honestly say I heard anything beyond 300 hours, and agree if that is the case (often is with Dan Wright's stuff, for example..my KWA150 monoblocks settled in around 600 hours..those are big caps) then they need to get you a pre-owned certified model for review. :)

OS panel as in, for Win & MAC OS I assume? Not exactly sure what we would need this for with regard to sample rate?

I'm using my software to dictate a set/fixed or native sample rate...

Either way, it's good to see such involvement and contribution from Antelope.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #49 on: 22 Oct 2010, 09:49 pm »
Ericus,
The DAC2 is not similar to the Minerva, it is the same!   :wink:

Srajan's website review spells out the differences pretty clearly, and I (also own the DAC2 and had the Zodiac Plus for 30 days) agree with him for the most part (aside from the Zodiac's lack of heft...I think it fills in later in break in, as stated above).  The Zodiac Pluses strengths are timing, air, soundstage depth and an overall presence to the music that is quite startling (as in good).  The Weiss DAC2/Minerva's strengths are its very musical organic midrange tone, it's (mostly upper) bass heft and weight, and it's ability to present average recordings in a very favorable light (no DAC in these highly resolving levels can do anything for bad recordings; you're on your own there  :)  ).

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 24 Oct 2010, 11:08 am »
Yeah, what ted_b said  :green:

Bigfish

« Reply #51 on: 24 Oct 2010, 07:53 pm »
Srajan:

I am curious if you evaluated the Zodiac+ with a USB Cable other than the stock cord that was supplied with the unit?

Thanks,

Ken

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #52 on: 26 Oct 2010, 10:57 am »
Er - you did read the review, correct?

It very specifically mentions two other USB cables by name and photograph.

As for the comparison, the review also says one is forthcoming. I'm happy to answer questions but not so much if they're based on something I wrote which people can't be bothered to first read so we're all on the same page. Otherwise I'd be wasting my time, wouldn't I?  :duh:

Bigfish

« Reply #53 on: 26 Oct 2010, 11:29 am »
Sorry, I reread the review last night and it sunk in that you used a WireWorld Starlight, the stock USB and a blue Furutech.  After reading the review again it was too late to remove my post.

Ken

sfig

« Reply #54 on: 13 Nov 2010, 10:14 pm »
I currently have it setup like this:

Computer -> GoldX firewire cable 4-6pin w/adapter -> Saffire Pro 24 DSP firewire interface -> wireworld spdif -> Zodiac+

And the sound is fantastic.  I will be comparing to straight usb soon hopefully.  FYI, no word yet on when my upgraded power supply will ship from Welborne Labs. 

edit: Welborne Labs power supply has shipped.

Are you able to share any thoughts on how the Welborne Labs adds to the sound?

gabrielo

« Reply #55 on: 18 Nov 2010, 05:44 pm »
Srajan:

How do the Zodiac+ compare with the wired4sound DAC sonically?
I saw that the Zodiac+ got lots of extra features missing in the W4S, but if one was to ignore them all which one do think to be a better DAC?

thx
/gabriel

roscoeiii

« Reply #56 on: 18 Nov 2010, 06:14 pm »
Gabriel,

This was covered pretty well in Srajan's review, you might want to check that first and then if you have questions that you have that aren't answered after reading that, post back here...

gabrielo

« Reply #57 on: 19 Nov 2010, 03:02 pm »
Gabriel,

This was covered pretty well in Srajan's review, you might want to check that first and then if you have questions that you have that aren't answered after reading that, post back here...
Hi roscoeiii,

I did read the review and was not able to find the part doing sonic compare between the Zodiac+ and the Wired4Sound (saw the feature/price compare at first paragraph)
Can you please point me to the specific page/paragraph ?
I heard the Zodiac+ last week and pretty much agree with everything Srajan said in his review so I am very interested finding his opinion about sonic differences between the two

roscoeiii

« Reply #58 on: 19 Nov 2010, 03:31 pm »
Hmmm, maybe I was confusing it with the comparison with the Weiss (which he compares the W4S to in the W4S review).

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #59 on: 19 Nov 2010, 03:43 pm »
I no longer had the W4S DAC when the Zodiac showed up. You'll have to triangulate via the DAC2/DAC2 comments (Wyred/Weiss). If I held on to all equipment I review to accomplish ongoing comparisons of everything new against everything I've already reviewed - well, I'd run out of space. Never mind that the manufacturers would get real sour (and my wife would probably throw me out)  :roll: