Niteshade NS-15 6L6 Push-Pull Amplifier

Tin_ear

Niteshade NS-15 6L6 Push-Pull Amplifier
« on: 6 Sep 2010, 08:21 am »
Custom-ordered this amp from Blair Lamphear, designer/builder of Niteshade Audio.  Features sub-chassis mounted Edcor 8 ohm output transformers, variable feedback, 5U4G rectifier, 6SN7 splitter/predriver tubes, and the ability to use all types of 6L6 tubes, except the metal 6L6.  Power rating is a modest 15 wpc.  However, the amp showed absolutely no signs of trouble driving my 85 dB Harbeths to quite loud levels in my 12’ x 25’ room.  A very versatile amp.  Extremely quiet design, no hum or hiss at idle through 85 & 90 dB speakers.  The variable feedback changes the presentation from dark and warm to bright and forward, allowing it to adapt to your speakers and room acoustics.  Also, the bass presentation is dependent upon which output tubes are used.  Included are new Chinese coke bottle GCs, which provide slightly dry, tight bass, along with old Sylvania GAs, which provide a slightly fuller bass.  This flexibility enables the amp to be used successfully with speakers ranging from mini-monitors up to large horns.  A new 5U4, vintage 6SN7s, and IEC cord are included.  Price reduced, now $470.  I have 5 years of feedback on A-gon, and 11 years of feedback on ebay.

« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2011, 11:43 pm by Tin_ear »

Guy 13

Re: Niteshade NS-15 6L6 Push-Pull Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2010, 12:34 pm »
Custom-ordered this amp from Blair Lamphear, designer/builder of Niteshade Audio.  Features sub-chassis mounted Edcor 8 ohm output transformers, variable feedback, 5U4G rectifier, 6SN7 splitter/predriver tubes, and the ability to use all types of 6L6 tubes, except the metal 6L6.  Power rating is a modest 15 wpc.  However, the amp showed absolutely no signs of trouble driving my 85 dB Harbeths to quite loud levels in my 12’ x 25’ room.  A very versatile amp.  Extremely quiet design, no hum or hiss at idle through 85 & 90 dB speakers.  The variable feedback changes the presentation from dark and warm to bright and forward, allowing it to adapt to your speakers and room acoustics.  Also, the bass presentation is dependent upon which output tubes are used.  Included are new Chinese coke bottle GCs, which provide slightly dry, tight bass, along with old Sylvania GAs, which provide a slightly fuller bass.  This flexibility enables the amp to be used successfully with speakers ranging from mini-monitors up to large horns.  A new 5U4, vintage 6SN7s, and IEC cord are included.  Asking $580.  I have 5 years of feedback on A-gon, and 11 years of feedback on ebay.

Hi Tin ear.
Am I too curious or impolite if I ask you why you want to sell this fine Niteshade Audio amplifier ?
Guy 13

Tin_ear

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2010, 12:05 am »
Not at all an unreasonable request, I should have mentioned it in my description.  When I purchased this amp, my intention was to slowly build a high-efficiency system, in addition to my main sys/HT McIntosh rig.  All of the usual detractors have since conspired to squash this from becoming a reality.  With so many other needs, if I were to commit more funds to another system, domestic tranquility will be severely compromised (diplomatic translation). Also, we're moving soon, and we won't have two rooms available for proper hi-fi rigs.  So, before I get too far into building the HE system,  I've decided I'll cut bait.

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2010, 03:39 am »
Not at all an unreasonable request, I should have mentioned it in my description.  When I purchased this amp, my intention was to slowly build a high-efficiency system, in addition to my main sys/HT McIntosh rig.  All of the usual detractors have since conspired to squash this from becoming a reality.  With so many other needs, if I were to commit more funds to another system, domestic tranquility will be severely compromised (diplomatic translation). Also, we're moving soon, and we won't have two rooms available for proper hi-fi rigs.  So, before I get too far into building the HE system,  I've decided I'll cut bait.
Hi Tin Ear.
Thanks for your answer, explanation and honesty.
I would like to help you and buy your amplifier, but I already have one NS-15 that serve me well.
I hope someone on Auduio Circle realize how good are the amplifiers of Blair.
Good in the sense of sound quality, simplicity of construction and circuit.
Good luck un the sales of your Nisteshade amplifier and your moving.
Guy 13.

Tin_ear

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2010, 10:01 am »
Thanks for the well wishes, Guy.  It took a bit of pride swallowing to finally act on the realization that I won't be able to do this amp justice any time soon.  I was considering pairing it with K-horns or Tylers, or even some fullrangers with sensitivity in the mid-90s.  What speakers are you driving with your NS-15?

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2010, 10:50 am »
Thanks for the well wishes, Guy.  It took a bit of pride swallowing to finally act on the realization that I won't be able to do this amp justice any time soon.  I was considering pairing it with K-horns or Tylers, or even some fullrangers with sensitivity in the mid-90s.  What speakers are you driving with your NS-15?
Hi Tin Ear.
Because my Niteshade NS-15 is tube rectification (5U4 or 5AR4), I only get 10 wpc. (The tube has more resistance across cathode and anode than with the solid state rectification) but 10 wpc is more than enough for me.
My Niteshade Audio NS-15 (10wpc) amplifier drive very easily my GR Research V-1 (97db) and V-2 (93db).
Here are some pictures of both of them.

and my Niteshade Audio NS-15 amplifier.

No, the top model is not my wife, it's my non smilling niece.
In case you did not know, the two 12" woofers per side (H frame) are driven by a solid state plate amplifier, that help to get a load off the Niteshade amplifier.
The plate amplifier on the V-1 (The tallest unit) is a Rythmik servo (370 watts) and the plate amplifier on the V-2 is a GR Research SA-1 non servo(300 watts).
Tomorrow I will doing some modificatiosn on the V-1 to get more bass, maybe I have a wiring problem and I will also lower the to (Mid-Hi) driver so that it is a ears level or on axis.
More questions, please ask.
Guy 13.

Tin_ear

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2010, 03:31 am »
Seeing your new gen NS-15 reminds me of a recent inquirer who was baffled that my NS-15 didn't look like the one on the Niteshade site, which happens to be the same version as yours.  Blair originally called the push-pull version like mine the 15, but he told me it actually put out 20 watts.  My understanding of how mine differs from their similar-looking NS-30 is that my amp was designed to operate with either the vintage lower voltage G/GA/GB tubes, as well as the higher voltage GCs.  Therefore, with either tube, it's rating is 20, rather than the typical 6L6GC's circuit design of 30 watts in PP.  That brings us to your new version of the NS-15, which is single-ended, and 15 SS-rectified watts or 10 5U4-rectified watts you mentioned.  Most of us realize a manufacturer reserves the right the modify their product at any time, but this inquirer just couldn't seem to get over that.

Guy 13

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2010, 03:43 am »
Seeing your new gen NS-15 reminds me of a recent inquirer who was baffled that my NS-15 didn't look like the one on the Niteshade site, which happens to be the same version as yours.  Blair originally called the push-pull version like mine the 15, but he told me it actually put out 20 watts.  My understanding of how mine differs from their similar-looking NS-30 is that my amp was designed to operate with either the vintage lower voltage G/GA/GB tubes, as well as the higher voltage GCs.  Therefore, with either tube, it's rating is 20, rather than the typical 6L6GC's circuit design of 30 watts in PP.  That brings us to your new version of the NS-15, which is single-ended, and 15 SS-rectified watts or 10 5U4-rectified watts you mentioned.  Most of us realize a manufacturer reserves the right the modify their product at any time, but this inquirer just couldn't seem to get over that.
Hi Tin Ear.
Brian supplied my NS-15 with a 5U4 rectification tube, but I switch to a 5AR4 rectification tube, which has less voltage drop thru it, however, can't hear any increased wattage.
The next NS-15 will be with solid state rectification, so that I can have a full 15 wpc. I also want to try the NS-30 (Soon to be discountinued) or the NS-40 push pull amplifier to hear the difference between SE pentode (6L6) and push pull (6L6). Have you already compared the two models ?
By the way, I now run my NS-15 with Sovtek 6L6WXT+ (From Tube Depot), can't hear much difference between these and the original (Sovtek 6L6WGC) Brian sent me with the amplifier.
Guy 13. 

Tin_ear

« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2010, 11:53 pm »
Price drop bump.  Now $495.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 1 Oct 2010, 12:19 am »
How old is the unit?  Why are you selling?

Tin_ear

« Reply #10 on: 1 Oct 2010, 10:27 pm »
I received this amp from Blair in mid-December '09, and it has seen very minimal use since.  The reason I'm selling is above, third post.  Thanks for the inquiry.

dangerbird

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2010, 11:40 pm »
Good luck with the sale-damn fine amp. :thumb:

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #12 on: 17 Oct 2010, 03:47 pm »
Some basic info for this unknowing nascent audiophile, please.

Does 10 watts from a tube amp equal more power than a comparable solid state amp?

What does push pull mean?

Is this a very quiet, very low distortion amp that provides great detail, resolution and low end realism?

I just bought a pair of Silverliine Minuet speakers rated at 88 db sensitivity?

Thanks very much.

Tin_ear

« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2010, 09:48 pm »
I've read a few threads here and there about tube vs. SS watts.  The one point (and there are many beyond my limited technical comprehension) I took away from these discussions is that when a tube amp reaches its max power clipping point, the signal peaks are rounded and less noticeable than a SS amp's more abruptly squared-off peaks, which causes the very audible type of distortion that commonly burns out tweeters.  As for this amp in a real-world application, its 15 watts per channel was ample power to drive my 85 dB Harbeths to a more-than-comfortable volume level in my 12 x 25 living room, without any noticeable clipping.

A push-pull tube amp uses a phase splitter tube to divide the positive and negative sine wave between two output tubes for higher power handling.  For example, Niteshade's current NS-15 (pictured above) is single-ended, only one tube per channel handling the entire sine wave.  Its 6L6GC is run at designed values, whereas my NS-15 (Blair says mine is closer to 20 clean watts) was designed to use the older GA/GB tubes as well as the GCs, so it runs at lower voltages. 

Gotta run for now, I'll post more later.

Tin_ear

« Reply #14 on: 18 Oct 2010, 03:39 am »
Is this a very quiet, very low distortion amp that provides great detail, resolution and low end realism?

An honorable goal for even mega-buck amps.  I can say from my listening that, yes, this amp punches way above its MSRP performance-wise, and all the more at this price.  For the price of a used Dynaco, EICO, etc., or a modded Sylvania/Magnavox/Zenith/etc. console amp, the NS far outperforms the ones I've heard, simply because Blair employed a well-designed and efficient circuit, and used quality parts throughout, all point-to-point wired, no PCBs.
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2010, 12:28 pm by Tin_ear »

mingo

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jan 2011, 04:50 am »
Did you ever sell this fine looking amp?

Tin_ear

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jan 2011, 10:56 pm »
Thanks for asking.  No, I haven't even unboxed it since the move two months ago.  Nowhere to set up a second system in the new house. 

Tin_ear

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jan 2011, 11:45 pm »
Amp is available again, $470 obo.

gooberdude

« Reply #18 on: 1 Feb 2011, 04:39 pm »
Sent you a pm

Edit:  sold
« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2011, 10:04 pm by gooberdude »