hifimediy Amps

Steidl Guitars

Re: hifimediy Amps
« Reply #20 on: 15 Aug 2010, 04:41 pm »
Steve, thanks for the info on the recommend transformer (that's a lot of copper!).  Anyway, might I ask where did you found that? I've read through the threads on DIYAudio but I may have missed it. 

Bob

If you are looking for a transformer to run the Hifimediy T3 mono amps, a 700VA transformer is recommended for 2 T3 amplifier boards (or if constructing a dual mono, 350VA for each).  An Antek AN-8430 800VA/30V transformer sells for $84.00.

srb

« Reply #21 on: 15 Aug 2010, 05:06 pm »
Steve, thanks for the info on the recommend transformer (that's a lot of copper!). Anyway, might I ask where did you found that? I've read through the threads on DIYAudio but I may have missed it. 

16 lbs. of copper!

That was the recommendation I received after emailing Steinar (nick122147 on eBay) who is selling components for Hifimediy.  Seems reasonable, as 300W output per channel would require a 600VA transformer if the amplifier was 100% efficient, which it is not.  I mentioned the Antek 800VA because their offerings jump from 600VA to 800VA, but I'm sure a 700VA from another supplier could be found.

I was thinking of 30V-32V as being the maxiumum I would use to have a good safety margin (30VAC X 1.414 = 42.4VDC or 32VAC X 1.414 = 45.2VDC).  As the webpage states, the first limiting factor is the C23 2200uF cap rated at 50V, which could be replaced with a higher value, but the remainder of the board has a 56V rating.

As I was entertaining the thought of dual mono configuration with 2 transformers, I was also told that a smaller mono version of the PSU board would be available "in some weeks".

Steve
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2010, 07:36 pm by srb »

HT cOz

« Reply #22 on: 15 Aug 2010, 06:39 pm »
Sometimes some nice trafos pop up on Piltrons Overstock site.  One to keep bookmarked for sure! 

http://www.plitron.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=100&cat=Surplus+Stock

:thumb:

Robert

dvenardos

« Reply #23 on: 28 Aug 2010, 07:21 pm »
I am going to build a three-channel amp with these boards. They are supposed to be available as singles in a couple weeks.

That was fast. They are on a roll. 300 Watts! for $100. Accepts both DC and AC.  Wow. That looks pretty dang cool. Somebody has to get one and report back!

nwboater

« Reply #24 on: 28 Aug 2010, 09:35 pm »
I am going to build a three-channel amp with these boards. They are supposed to be available as singles in a couple weeks.

Great - Please keep us posted on how it turns out and your impressions.

Rod

Chris Adams

« Reply #25 on: 24 Oct 2010, 07:32 pm »
I thought I would update this thread with some pics and info of my Hifimediy TK2050 V2. Power supply is the Meanwell 27VDC that is recommended for it.

This little amp has just knocked me out. I spent about $200 including amp, power supply, case and all connectors and wire. It makes a mockery of some of the big $$$$ amps I've used in the past. I'm driving a pair of modded MMGs and just can't help but grin every time I listen.

I posted a pic of the input mod I did. Removed the pot and wired the L+ and R+ to the holes directly in front of the input caps. Removed a curtain from the sound. This amp is as cheap and cheerful as I can imagine! :thumb:

I then changed out the input caps for a pair of Gen1 2uf Sonicaps with a Gen2 .1uf bypass. Another curtain gone.

dvenardos

« Reply #26 on: 27 Oct 2010, 09:02 pm »
Nice work.  :thumb:

How did you solder those binding posts? I picked up a set without solder cups and it looks like yours don't have any either.

Chris Adams

« Reply #27 on: 27 Oct 2010, 09:25 pm »
Thanks! :D

Those are Cardas ACBP binding posts and they do have a hole in them. Just can't see it in the pics because the wire is through it and soldered.

HT cOz

« Reply #28 on: 23 Mar 2011, 03:18 am »
Anyone check out the new T4 board or the Tripath TA3020 model that just came out?  I'm interested in these.