monoblocks?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: monoblocks?
« Reply #40 on: 5 Aug 2010, 11:18 pm »
We were using one of them at LSAF and running it and a buffer off of a single 12 volt AGM battery.

Ok, I'm intrigued.  A car battery?  Is this a fairly easy power supply to put together?

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #41 on: 5 Aug 2010, 11:43 pm »
If you want 1 quick, goto Class D's site and order the car audio power supply $135. That supply will only work with the 254 amp. It is + - 50 volt rails.
Gary

corndog71

« Reply #42 on: 6 Aug 2010, 12:53 am »

Gary make great chassis.  :thumb:

Dang that's cool.   :drool: :notworthy:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #43 on: 6 Aug 2010, 01:30 am »
Gary,

Would you be willing to sell the chassis, battery, ps board shown above all together as a kit with parts or at least a BOM? Users could then purchase the SDS 254 unit from Classdaudio. You could also put some holes for XLR's on the chassis, since the 254 is a balanced unit. Might be a big winner like your buffer? It would be an easier kit to assemble then the buffer even!

Edit....I just realized that power supply board is right here at the Class D Audio site! Thanks Gary!

Anand.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #44 on: 6 Aug 2010, 02:48 am »
Dang that's cool.   :drool: :notworthy:
They sound really, really good, too.

The Class D amps and Gary's versions with the tube front end are terriffic performers,  I heard Jason's Class D in the chassis that he has for sale (beautifully done, robust and a bargain) and they are very punchy, have great bass, nice round midrange with sweet highs.  The performance/$/W of these amps is outstanding.  Battery power is terriffic... this coming from the Uber guy   :green:

Dave

corndog71

« Reply #45 on: 6 Aug 2010, 03:59 am »
you guys are killing me. :banghead:

Danny Richie

« Reply #46 on: 6 Aug 2010, 04:32 am »
To make matters worse,  :lol: Gary figured out some simple mods that took it up a notch.

Rclark

« Reply #47 on: 6 Aug 2010, 08:24 am »
Oh man I'm only on page 60 of that other thread and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to reread the whole thing again and take notes.

Does anyone think the Astron power supply I pointed out to be a good choice? 28 volts, 18 amps peak.

http://www.hol4g.com/ac/product.aspx?number=AST-LS18A&p=160025&sc=3790

Or would that one be overkill? There's a 10 amp version too. Much cheaper, like $80.

And batteries would supply enough power you think? What about the regular Dodd battery kit with a charger. Would that be ok? Or do you have to step up to a larger battery?

I'm buying my Skiing Ninja crossovers on the 10th, then it's buffer, then amp. Hopefully I can be well versed before hand.

TrungT

« Reply #48 on: 6 Aug 2010, 02:29 pm »
The Class D chassis was a limited quantity, Gary may not have any more.

HT cOz

« Reply #49 on: 6 Aug 2010, 02:46 pm »
Oh man I'm only on page 60 of that other thread and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to reread the whole thing again and take notes.

Does anyone think the Astron power supply I pointed out to be a good choice? 28 volts, 18 amps peak.

http://www.hol4g.com/ac/product.aspx?number=AST-LS18A&p=160025&sc=3790

Or would that one be overkill? There's a 10 amp version too. Much cheaper, like $80.

And batteries would supply enough power you think? What about the regular Dodd battery kit with a charger. Would that be ok? Or do you have to step up to a larger battery?

I'm buying my Skiing Ninja crossovers on the 10th, then it's buffer, then amp. Hopefully I can be well versed before hand.

I think there are better ways to spend $214.  For that amount of money you could buy a very high quality transformer and powersupply.  However, I can not speak to the performance of the unit you linked to...

ebag4

« Reply #50 on: 6 Aug 2010, 02:53 pm »
If you want 1 quick, goto Class D's site and order the car audio power supply $135. That supply will only work with the 254 amp. It is + - 50 volt rails.
Gary
Gary,
Are you going to come up with a batt powered PS that will work for those of us that have the original 120/60 watt amp that requires 30-40 volts?

Also, how do we find out about your mods?  Is there an upgrade kit?

Best,
Ed

Rclark

« Reply #51 on: 6 Aug 2010, 08:53 pm »
I think there are better ways to spend $214.  For that amount of money you could buy a very high quality transformer and powersupply.  However, I can not speak to the performance of the unit you linked to...

Ok, what would you do? How should I power this unit? Links? Help the noob out. :)

Nick77

« Reply #52 on: 6 Aug 2010, 09:10 pm »

Rclark

« Reply #53 on: 6 Aug 2010, 10:12 pm »
But isn't his power kit sub-par? You guys are all swapping bigger capacitors and switching rectifiers and all that. I'd rather just have a nice supply from the get-go.

Nick77

« Reply #54 on: 6 Aug 2010, 10:18 pm »
I would not say sub par, i swapped out the Nichicons for some Panasonic caps but the
results were just a little better bottom end and slight increase in dynamics. Not huge!

But isn't his power kit sub-par? You guys are all swapping bigger capacitors and switching rectifiers and all that. I'd rather just have a nice supply from the get-go.

Danny Richie

« Reply #55 on: 6 Aug 2010, 10:51 pm »
Gary already told you guys which one was going to sound best.

Think "off the grid" man!

praedet

« Reply #56 on: 6 Aug 2010, 11:24 pm »
With Trung's help my "off the grid" set-up will be running very soon.  Then I just need some folks to buy Gary's products so I can get a matching chassis! ;)

wushuliu

« Reply #57 on: 6 Aug 2010, 11:37 pm »
Er, how exactly would you connect a car battery to say, Tom's 12v PS above? And ony old car battery or just certain ones? This concept is totally new to me...

mikeeastman

« Reply #58 on: 6 Aug 2010, 11:58 pm »
I'm using 4- 6 volt golf cart batteries wired to give 24 v and tap off of 2 for 12v , this gives me 200 amph of capacity. Being designed for deep cycle they work much better  than car or marine batteries. They will need to be in a sealed box, vented to the outside.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #59 on: 7 Aug 2010, 12:02 am »
I'm using 4- 6 volt golf cart batteries wired to give 24 v and tap off of 2 for 12v , this gives me 200 amph of capacity. Being designed for deep cycle they work much better  than car or marine batteries. They will need to be in a sealed box, vented to the outside.

If those batteries are not a sealed AGM or SLA I would NEVER put that in my house.