Recommendation for a Good multi disc CD player

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Recommendation for a Good multi disc CD player
« on: 21 Jul 2010, 11:36 pm »
I keep seeing multi-disc CD players popping up on CL and I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for
a good unit? Thanks!! :eyebrows:

chadh

Re: Recommendation for a Good multi disc CD player
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2010, 05:40 am »

Multi-disc CD players are rare now.  I used one for a while about 7 years ago, and it was really hard to find one that could credibly be used in an audiophile-approved system.

I opted for the Rotel RCC-955, a 5-disc carousel player, and was pretty happy with it at the time.  It was subsequently replaced with Rotel's RCC-1055, but that may have been purely a cosmetic upgrade.  I've seen both the RCC-955 and 1055 pop up on Audiogon every now and then.

Some multi-disc players use cartridges, but potentially damage the discs.  This was why I steered away from the McIntosh option, which seemed to be the only other well-regarded alternative at the time.

Multi-disc DVD players are probably easier to find, and potentially just as good.  I'd look into some of the better Sony options if you wanted to head down this path.

Chad

TrungT

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2010, 06:44 am »
Ed
I have good luck with Sony ES multi disc player.
Pick up Sony 400 disc for $15 on CL and work great in the bedroom set up, you can play all week.
 :thumb:

srb

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2010, 07:59 am »
Ed,

You've got a music server and a single disc player - why would you even want a multi-disc player?

Steve

Feanor

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2010, 11:19 am »
Ed,

You've got a music server and a single disc player - why would you even want a multi-disc player?

Steve
Why indeed ... it needs explaination.

I still have a five disc carousel SACD player but months go by that I don't use it at all.  99.5% of my listening is to computer files on my WHS machine; my main system has a dedicted music computer for play back.  See my stereo configuration ...

2gumby2

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2010, 11:46 am »
I have a Denon DCM-380, a Marantz CC4003, and a Sony 595. I've been happy with all of them and can't tell the difference between the sound of any of them. They all sound very good to me. Not quite on par with my Marantz DV-9500, but still very good.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2010, 11:53 am »
Ed I have a Marantz you could give a try if you like. I can bring it by on my way to DD records today.
Model PMD371 send me a text and let me know..............Bill

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2010, 12:00 pm »
It's called computer audio.  If the budget is tight, use the computer that you use to type on A.C. non stop.   :)

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2010, 12:29 pm »
Ed,

Steve
Correct...it was just a thought, I thought maybe I could find a gem on CL and save some steps.
Thanks guys!! :thumb:

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2010, 01:15 pm »
Ed I have a Marantz you could give a try if you like. I can bring it by on my way to DD records today.
Model PMD371 send me a text and let me know..............Bill

Yup, it's Thursday alright.  :wink:

K Shep

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2010, 01:39 pm »
Correct...it was just a thought, I thought maybe I could find a gem on CL and save some steps.
Thanks guys!! :thumb:

Adding a CD changer to your system would provide convenience, it probably wouldn't provide any change in sonic performance.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2010, 01:49 pm »
Convenience is key for medical reasons...and CD's just sound a smidge better to me..pumpkinman is loaning me the Marantz when he does
his Thursday night run to Double Decker Records so I'll check it out...I'm wearing my PS3 out and want to give it a break, so I don't break it!! I was thinking get a used 200 CD changer load it up and have a multi disc transport....there is actually a method to my madness. :eyebrows:

K Shep

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2010, 02:20 pm »
Convenience is key for medical reasons...and CD's just sound a smidge better to me..pumpkinman is loaning me the Marantz when he does
his Thursday night run to Double Decker Records so I'll check it out...I'm wearing my PS3 out and want to give it a break, so I don't break it!! I was thinking get a used 200 CD changer load it up and have a multi disc transport....there is actually a method to my madness. :eyebrows:

Sounds like a plan, pun intended.

Your Grant Fidelity DAC should be doing most of the work.  IMO a change in transport won't be audible, in your system.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2010, 02:27 pm »
K Shep- you got it...not looking for a change in sound just less steps, I only own maybe 300 CD's total, load em up, dial'em in!!! :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jul 2010, 02:35 pm »
The Sony carousel changers are pretty much bullet proof. I've got 100, 200, 300 disc models that have run for years without problem. The oldest, the 100, has been retired as it doesn't read CD-Rs. Also have a Denon 5-disc platter changer that hasn't been too bad for the 2 years I've had it. As long as you run the output thru a good external dac the sound quality is fine. The Sony's are all optical outs, at least the older ones.

The convenience is nice, the problem with more than 1 is trying to remember what discs are where. Good luck with the hunt.  :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jul 2010, 02:39 pm »
The Sony carousel changers are pretty much bullet proof. I've got 100, 200, 300 disc models that have run for years without problem. The oldest, the 100, has been retired as it doesn't read CD-Rs. Also have a Denon 5-disc platter changer that hasn't been too bad for the 2 years I've had it. As long as you run the output thru a good external dac the sound quality is fine. The Sony's are all optical outs, at least the older ones.

The convenience is nice, the problem with more than 1 is trying to remember what discs are where. Good luck with the hunt.  :thumb:
Do you happen to know model numbers on those Sony's??

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: 22 Jul 2010, 02:49 pm »
The 200 disc changer is the CDP-CX250, the 300 is the CDP-CX355. Both can be programed with disc names, actually the 300 player will read disc info if it's present, ie Artist, 'album' name.

TrungT

« Reply #17 on: 22 Jul 2010, 02:50 pm »
I think mine is CDP-CX400, the new one is 455 and the 300 cd iss 355.
You can buy a new one at JR.com around 170, just give you base price for your hunt.  :wink:

Feanor

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jul 2010, 03:16 pm »
What is your music server setup like, or can you give us a link?

IMO, there is no inherent reason why a CD player should sound better that playing computer files -- of course there are many more variables to be controlled in case of computer playback.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 22 Jul 2010, 03:24 pm »
Thanks Trung and ArthurDent-"Thanks for all the Fish"...a fav of mine :thumb: :thumb: