Napua Davoy to cut live album at VMPS/Atmasphere THE SHOW exhibit Jan 6-9 2011

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Jazz singer/songwriter/playwright ("Stella Rising", "Miami") Napua Davoy has agreed to perform in the VMPS exhibit booth at THE Show (CES) Jan 6-9 2011, and cut a live album during the course of the Show's four days.

Venue is the Virginia City I ballroom (26x51x9') of the Flamingo Hotel.  We plan to simulcast the event on a Las Vegas FM jazz station. Hi-rez for pay downloads will be immediately available on Napua's website www.bravecoolworld.com.  We will also simultaneously cut and sell a limited edition autographed CDR of the event to Show attendees.

Napua will write original charts for our large combo of alto sax, flute, clarinet, piano, string bass, duo guitars, percussion, and full drumkit, and all AC'ers are invited to attend.  There will be plenty of seats available, so come one come all!

I expect playback to be a real live-vs-recorded workout for the RM50 speaker system (augmented in this very large space with a pair of VSS subs) and Ralph Karsten will feature latest versions of the MA 2 220W OTL monoblocks and some new gear.

In the coming six months there will be regular postings to AC on the organization and production of this great project, which I hope will become, musically speaking, the greatest event in CES/THE SHOW  history.  And maybe get two very deserving hifi manufacturers some positive press.

PLMONROE

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

Paul

Construct

Gotta work...can't make it to Vegas...grumble grumble...muted comments of a generally disgruntled nature... :evil:

mjosef

I hope to have more time to spend in the room, was crushed for time last time around.

Wasn't there supposed to be material available from the last demo?  :scratch:

Brian Cheney

We have plenty of recorded material from last January on redbook CD, burned directly from the harddrives.  I haven't gotten all the releases/permissions from the artists to sell a compilation disc, or even give away something for free.

I will make sure everyone signs off in advance this time, and my professional musicians get their proper recording scale, so new material can be used commercially.

Housteau

That sounds great.  I will be looking forward to all the specifics, format, mics & pattern, etc. to see how I can best help out again this next time around.

John Casler

Another thread I have been missing out on.

I anticiapte this year being the biggest and best demonstration of the Holy Grail of an audiophile and that is the reproduction of a sonic or musical event recorded and reproduced to the same standards.

Some might even call it an "Absolute Sound".

John Casler

Excitement Spoken HERE
« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2010, 11:26 pm »
Just received some very good news from Big B.

He has confirmed that this years RM50 Bipoles will be equipped with 4 "COUNT'EM" 12" TC Sounds woofers. :o :o :o

I guess that will make them OMG RM50 Bipoles.

But if that weren't good enough news, he further confirmed that we will also be running OMG VSS Subs with the TC Sounds 15" drivers.

I am looking at either a DIPOLAR set of "stacked" VSS, or a Dual or Quadratic set up of Push/Pull, depending on which works the room best, and whether we have 2 or 4 VSS.

This could be staggering in its realism on the bottom end.  Be prepared to hear "realistic bass" like it may have never been reproduced in an environment like this before. (I'm talking reality, not BOOMY :nono: or a Braggadocioed mutation of real bass)

Reminds me of an old Pontiac commercial that used the tag line "Excitment Spoken Here".

PLMONROE

This could be a major disaster in the making -- does the San Andreas fault extend as far east as Vegas???

Paul

Brian Cheney

At least we won't have to move the piano by hand again, Paul!

PLMONROE

Touche!

Paul

Brian Cheney

Napua has mailed me the script of her Broadway show "Miami" and it's a real corker, full of love, lust, music, and murder!  The songs are terrific too.  Maybe we can do a concert performance of part of it at THE SHOW/CES, I know everyone will love it.

Taterworks

I was reading about the RM50's ability to drive the front and rear arrays from separate crossover inputs, and I saw a mention of dipole bass, but it occurred to me that another method of directional bass reproduction could be employed - the Cardioid technique. By applying a specific amount of delay to the front bass drivers and the mid/tweeter array corresponding to the distance from the rear baffle face to the front baffle face, it is possible to produce some rear rejection while preserving summation in front of the speaker, and this technique is used to good effect in pro audio by companies like Meyer Sound, Nexo, and D&B Audiotechnik to prevent low end buildup on stage or behind the speaker array. That would be an interesting technique to see employed at THE SHOW, and definitely worth experimenting with otherwise.

Brian Cheney

I like that, and it's easily realized with the digital controller of the RM50.

John Casler

I was reading about the RM50's ability to drive the front and rear arrays from separate crossover inputs, and I saw a mention of dipole bass, but it occurred to me that another method of directional bass reproduction could be employed - the Cardioid technique. By applying a specific amount of delay to the front bass drivers and the mid/tweeter array corresponding to the distance from the rear baffle face to the front baffle face, it is possible to produce some rear rejection while preserving summation in front of the speaker, and this technique is used to good effect in pro audio by companies like Meyer Sound, Nexo, and D&B Audiotechnik to prevent low end buildup on stage or behind the speaker array. That would be an interesting technique to see employed at THE SHOW, and definitely worth experimenting with otherwise.

While I sometimes get overly excited about the technology Brian comes up with, I have to say that I really don't say enough about the RM50

With the digital controller (it would take two to do what you are suggesting) this speaker has the potential to perform in a room in a way that few other speaker technogies can approach.

That is the frotal pole and the rear pole can be both amplified separately, but also digitally controlled separately as you are suggesting.

This means both the volume, phase, and delays can be "optimized" to the room in a way that I have never seen in consumer audio.

This makes dimensions like distance from the front wall and distance to the listener very important measurments.

With the ability to control SPL level you can create the EXACT level of ambiance to your listening preference or to the interactive status that makes it more true to the original recording.

With the delay/advance capabilities, to the two poles, you can accomadate the distances to the front wall and with that delay make it chameleon like to any venues sonic profile.

Instead of having to spend weeks moving the speakers forward and backward to get the perfect "position", it can be dialed in rather quickly to perfection.

There are many levels to this.

The most simple is the "stock" RM50 with a single digital controller (D-OXO) and running both poles with the same amp.

TO

The BCSE RM50 with dual digital controllers, OMG Woofers, and separate binding posts and amps to be able to run the poles separately.

This speaker is a truly staggering accomplishment in its scope from its simple RM50 Bipole version at $14,999, to the BCSE RM50 controllable Bipole with dual D-OXO's dual Binding posts, Bolder Silver Wiring upgrade, SR-71, and OMG 12" Woofers.

I can't think of any speaker made that would be able to adapt to the listening room as well and have the sonic properties one might aspire to, as this one.

The BCSE RM50 will list for $16,999 in a good selection of custom finishes.

As time permits, I will post more information about the BCSE RM50 Bipole in a separate thread (it deserves it's own) :thumb:

Brian Cheney

I want to announce that Wywires will be a full co-exhibitor in the VMPS/Atmaphere booth during THE SHOW, Jan 6-9. 

I ran into Alex at the CAS and asked him to send me some balanced IC's.  Like everyone here and elsewhere, I was very impressed with them in my reference system, particularly after 100hrs breakin .  I believe they will deliver the goods under rigorous conditions such as our live-vs-recorded demo. 

Welcome, Alex and Wywires!

ricmon

i need to hit the lottery.   :lol:

Ric

John Casler

We just received word from Richard Beers that we are being placed in a "different" Ballroom.

We are moving to Red Rock 8 from Virginia City 1.

Red Rock 8 is basically the same size as Virginia 1 - just one foot smaller in each direction.  Virginia City 1 was 28 X 51; Red Rock 8 is 27 X 50

It is in a higher traffic area beside the MARKETPLACE who will make no appreciable noise, and not be affected by "our" SPL's.

It is apparently also close to the loading entrance for easier set up :thumb:

According to Richard: "You've got the absolutely best spot for your demo".

Housteau

According to Richard: "You've got the absolutely best spot for your demo".

Well, he certainly owes Brian for last year as I see it.  It is an end room with only the Market Place on the one side, so it should be a lot better noise wise.  However, it is out of the way a bit.  I think it would be a good idea to start planning a lot of easel mounted posters in different locations, such as hallways and The Market Place, pointing the way there.  Hanging posters was not allowed and an issue last year.

John Casler

Well, he certainly owes Brian for last year as I see it.  It is an end room with only the Market Place on the one side, so it should be a lot better noise wise.  However, it is out of the way a bit.  I think it would be a good idea to start planning a lot of easel mounted posters in different locations, such as hallways and The Market Place, pointing the way there.  Hanging posters was not allowed and an issue last year.

It is also across from the Lunch Area which seems to have pretty good traffic.

You are correct we need a rather large sign outside.

I remember last year Richard promised scantilly clad show girls pointing the way, but that didn't happen. :lol: :lol: :lol: