BRYSTON DIGITAL PLAYER (BDP-1)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
BRYSTON DIGITAL PLAYER (BDP-1)
« on: 3 May 2010, 05:06 pm »
Hi Folks,

I thought I would start a new thread discussing the Bryston ‘Digital Player’ as the Music Server thread as some people have suggested is a little misdirected.
This Bryston Digital Player (BDP-1) is being designed first and foremost to connect to and augment our BDA-1 External DAC.  Below is the literature so far and as things move forward I will add to it as we go.

Bryston BDP-1 (Bryston Digital Player)

PREAMBLE:
We are entering a new age for music enjoyment. We have an ability to reproduce recorded music with more accuracy and faithfulness than ever before. This has been enabled by the recent developments on recording and distributing music in ‘high resolution’ computer readable formats. Until recently any new format required an extensive infrastructure to get launched and need the cooperation of a complete chain of contributors and well as major investments to get underway. But with the continually increasing power of the personal computer and media like the internet and recordable DVD’s it is now possible to distribute the highest resolution audio to anyone with the desire to play it.

However this has also lead to a proliferation of different ways of “consuming” this new content. The pioneers started by building and re-purposing the Digital Audio Workstations that were originally developed to edit the new high resolution files. Those have proven very clumsy for simply playing some music. And they compromise the potential audio performance with many additional and redundant features that contribute little to quality playback of audio. There have been several programs written that enable standard PC’s to become very complex Jukeboxes with endless play lists and user interfaces that resemble computer spreadsheets.  These have been mated to premium professional sound cards to make decent playback systems, but they are complex with many components to master and lots of details to confront before actually playing music. Others have taken the fundamental ability of a computer to do almost anything and have built dedicated systems that can do all of the identified tasks of playing digital audio, including ripping content, managing storage, cleaver user interfaces in the same box that is struggling to play the audio files faithfully.

Many digital playback systems incorporate an ‘all in one’ approach to digital playback where the computer has the operating system (Windows or MAC), the video interface, the CD ripper/player, the mother board, the soundcard and the DAC’s contained in one chassis. (Think of this approach more as an audio ‘receiver’ rather than the more performance oriented approach of independent tuner, preamplifier and power amplifier in order to optimize performance in each specific area.) This receiver approach is fine for what it is as it allows for a very easy solution for someone who is looking for ease of use.  The problem is the performance suffers due to issues of noise and distortion created by this all in one approach. The computer is a great tool for searching and downloading content, but it becomes a cumbersome tool for playback of quality content. The Bryston Player is much easier to use in practice than a typical multipurpose desktop interface.

BRYSTON BDP-1:
We addressed this process differently. We broke the different tasks apart and dedicated our efforts on the stages that we can bring the most value and performance to. We also felt (in the tradition of component audio) that a dedicated one-function device can do a task much better than the “Swiss Army Knife” personal computer approach. 

The Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player single function is to stream digital music files from a storage source. To do this most efficiently, we use a Linux operating system optimized in ways only possible in Linux to provide the highest quality audio performance. Its motherboard is of industrial quality that uses only about 20% of its computing power. The soundcard is one of the finest available and the AES-EBU Balanced output section provides for the highest possible performance when connected to the AES-EBU input on the Bryston BDA-1 external DAC. We also incorporate electronic isolation of audio components from computer components and use galvanic isolation to isolate and avoid charge-carrying particles moving from one section to another.

WHAT IT “DOES”: The Bryston BDP-1 Player focuses on playing high resolution files and will support 16 bit and 24 bit files with the following sample rates: 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96KHz, 176.4KHz& 192KHz. It brings in the digital files from a USB device (the CD of the 21’st century) or an external hard drive or (NAS) drive over a hardwired Ethernet cable. The BDP-1 Digital Player allows for all resolutions from 44.1 to 192/24bit files to be played back with superb performance. It reproduces the digital content in its native sample rate and bit depth and outputs the data stream to the Bryston BDA-1 external DAC through a high performance dedicated AES-EBU balanced output. It processes digital music files at a performance level unattainable with other approaches.
Externally, the BDP-1 is a technically sophisticated component incorporating state of the art solid-state electronics which links up to your home network and may be controlled by a variety of graphic interface devices (eg, lap-top, PC, PDA, iPhone etc.). The BDP-1’s graphic interface operates under "open source" software protocols, ensuring long term future proofing and compatibility with the widest possible range of other digital devices as they are developed.

Internally, the Bryston BDP-1 music player employs a fan-less motherboard with an integrated processor. It runs an extremely pared down embedded version of the “Linux” operating system (as opposed to Windows or MAC OS). It boots in read-only mode so you cannot accidentally or purposely cause a system failure. Hardwired connections using either a USB drive or an Ethernet connection is utilized to ensure no drop-outs when listening to high-resolution files. All it takes is your iPod or iPhone* plus a router on your local network to show and manage your play lists. You also can monitor and control your BDP-1 through an internet network control using a router and web based interface (EX: Firefox and Minion).

As we have stated above the Bryston BDP-1 Digital Music Player uses any direct coupled USB (thumb drive)) ‘storage source’ or our dedicated network connected enhanced storage system and can play all high resolution AIFF, FLAC and WAV files up to and including native 192/24 bit files. Music must be ripped using a different computer running any operating system and any ripping program the end user is comfortable with. Playback can be controlled via numerous methods. A popular option will be the iPod Touch or iPhone. 

WHAT IT “DOES NOT DO”: The BDP-1 Digital Player doesn’t rip content, doesn’t clean up your data, doesn’t display its playlists on a built in screen, and doesn’t rip files. This is because it has no fancy display screen, no hard drive, and no CD drawer or Ripper, and no Wireless Streaming. It boots from flash memory with a read only file system.

PLAYING MUSIC FILES:
In conclusion, the easiest way to understand the Bryston Digital Music Player is to think of it as an 21st century updated CD player. Instead of CD’s as the music source, it utilizes your USB thumb drives or USB hard-drives as the music source or a dedicated file server through hardwired Ethernet using your computers browser as your interface.  The Bryston BDP-1 is designed to interface between your ‘music library’ and a high quality external DAC (Bryston BDA-1). The “component” chain works out as follows- The Bryston BDP-1 Player brings in the digital files from a USB device or a network hard drive (via an Ethernet cable) to stream digital music content in its native sample rate and bit depth (currently 44.1Khz/16bit to 192KHz/24Bit). It outputs the data stream to the Bryston BDA-1 external DAC through a high performance dedicated AES-EBU balanced output. 

An important point to reinforce here is the ‘home network’ is only utilized to allow you to view, manage and control your playlist using a variety of graphic interface devices (eg, lap-top, PC, PDA, iPhone etc.). In other words the ‘graphic interface’ attached to the home network allows you to ‘see’ what music files are located on the BDP-1 Digital Player. The BDP-1’s graphic interface operates under "open source" software protocols, ensuring long term future proofing and compatibility with the widest possible range of other digital devices as they are developed.

The Bryston DAC continues this focus on function specific design, again concentrating on doing the specific task well. This combination of BDP-1 Digital Player and BDA-1 External DAC will provide you with a state of the art high-resolution digital music playback system.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
Re: BRYSTON DIGITAL PLAYER (BDP-1)
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2010, 05:38 pm »
The BDP-1 Digital Player doesn’t display its playlists on a built in screen. This is because it has no fancy display screen, no hard drive, and no CD drawer or Ripper, and no Wireless Streaming.

This is just a question because I do not understand why one is required to use an external tool to access the medium used to store the files.
Why can't there be a three line text display which shows just the most basic tree? My daughters miniature Sandisk MP3 player allows for simple scrolling with just 4 arrow keys, which is all that is needed to access the file tree system. I do not own any iToy, my router would require some serious cable to create access for the BDP-1, buying a device like this would cost me at least 25% more just in extras I need to add to it. By making it possible to see on the BDP-1 what one is doing all those extras are not needed, and in my opinion it will only make the ease of use much greater. The motherboard only uses 20% of it's capacity, I doubt the other 80% will be eaten up by an application that runs a small three line display.

VOLKS

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2010, 05:44 pm »
Get the Krell K. I .D.....

KID, which stands for Krell Interface Dock, is more than a conventional iPod dock, it is a high performance iPod preamplifier. Krell core engineering technologies populate the circuitry, including discrete, differential, Class A analog circuitry. Optically isolated from the digital circuitry, the KID topology passes signal through a custom 256-step volume control and ends in balanced and single-ended audio outputs. Additional connections include composite, S-video, and RS-232 for use with more advanced control systems. The included remote control provides full iPod management as well as bass, treble, and volume adjustments. Compatible with all generation iPods and iPhones, the KID also charges the iPod battery when resting in its cradle.

The KID and Papa Dock combination defines what is sonically possible when using an iPod as a music source. Coupling the convenience of iPod with Krell electronics elevates iPod listening to a level audiophiles will find unexpectedly thrilling.

The KID delivers maximum sonic performance from any iPod device utilizing the dock connector, including the iPhone and iTouch. All of the iPod functions are accessible via the remote control or via the docked iPod device

Available in silver brushed aluminum.

PS-It matches Bryston well :)

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2010, 05:47 pm »
This is just a question because I do not understand why one is required to use an external tool to access the medium used to store the files.
Why can't there be a three line text display which shows just the most basic tree? My daughters miniature Sandisk MP3 player allows for simple scrolling with just 4 arrow keys, which is all that is needed to access the file tree system.
Have you ever tried browsing a 700 album library with a 3 line display?
Great for playing ABBA, real pain for Zappa though...

Napalm

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2010, 05:50 pm »
I'm actually not sure why Bryston was so excited about the iPhone.

Apple just patented each and every aspect of using their stuff as a remote:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2010/03/great-advances-are-coming-to-apple-remote-apple-tv.html

and they are not court shy.

If I were Bryston I would make sure that my stuff is fully usable without any Apple anything.

The good news is that they are making it compatible with the BR2.

Some play/stop buttons on the front panel won't hurt either.

Nap.  :thumb:

Napalm

« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2010, 05:52 pm »
Get the Krell K. I .D.....

I'm staying away anything Apple, thank you.

Nap the Luddite

werd

« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2010, 05:53 pm »
Hi Anonamemouse

cant quote right now, buggy

Because this is designed to make your dac better not your computer.. It has to be looked at as dac improvement. As good as the BDA is, as it stands its a little shy at providing a good interface between a harddrive and your system. This brings it in line with quality computer based playback. It makes sense doing it like this since  many won't use the dac for a decoding a music library off a harddrive, so they don't need to pay for it. This add on brings the dac inline with the best in Harddrive playback out there for those that want it.

Anonamemouse

« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2010, 06:06 pm »
this is designed to make your dac better not your computer.. It has to be looked at as dac improvement. As good as the BDA is, as it stands its a little shy at providing a good interface between a harddrive and your system. This brings it in line with quality computer based playback. It makes sense doing it like this since  many won't use the dac for a decoding a music library off a harddrive, so they don't need to pay for it. This add on brings the dac inline with the best in Harddrive playback out there for those that want it.

The thing is, I do NOT want it connected to my computer (the word "computer" here includes routers, networks, HUBs etc., as well as any non Bryston remote) in ANY way. My computers are upstairs, my listening area is downstairs. The BDP-1 allows for usb connections, that is what I will use (IF I would buy one).

I do NOT want to plug anything into the BDP-1, then walk to my computer or iToy, access the file system, find songs or a playlist to play, and finally listen to the hum of my computer in the background while listening to music.

I DO want to plug an USB device into the BDP-1, possibly scroll through the contents using the arrow keys on the front of the BDP-1, and then listen to whatever I decide to, being it just one song or a complete album or a random selection of files through the shuffle application. Three lines are enough for this (although with the Zappa collection this will be a challenge, I agree).

Mag

« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2010, 06:06 pm »
I'm in, looks like a BDA-1, BDP-1 will be my next purchase! I just got to get my second computer to work again. Oh, and I'm going to need a tetragig hard drive. 8)

werd

« Reply #9 on: 3 May 2010, 06:11 pm »
Hello Anonamemouse

Yes but all the complaints that you raised will start showing up in the Bdp1 if it starts looking like a music server. The idea is to keep all dac functions outside the music library host (what ever that is).

Anonamemouse

« Reply #10 on: 3 May 2010, 06:27 pm »
Hello Anonamemouse

Yes but all the complaints that your raised will start showing up in the Bdp1 if it starts looking a music server. The idea is to keep all dac functions outside the music library host (what ever that is).

Please allow me to explain. If my train of thoughts is off anywhere, please correct me.

There is a storage medium. This (in my case) is a USB device, either a stick, an external hard disk, or anything else that allows for data to be transferred through a USB connection.

There is the BDP-1. The USB device is plugged into that. The BDP-1 handles the conversion of the information stored on the USB device and the transport of this data to the BDA-1.

There is the BDA-1 (or another DAC), which transforms the data received from the BDP-1 into an analog signal which can be processed by an amplifier.

This is all I want. I have NO interest in any connection with my computer, or in HAVING to buy a piece of iFruit. ALL I am asking for is a simple way to access the data stored on the USB device DIRECTLY on the BDP-1.

I would just like to see some minor functionality added to the BDP-1. A few buttons, a small display, a means to access files without any third piece of hardware.

ricko01

« Reply #11 on: 3 May 2010, 08:32 pm »
Have you ever tried browsing a 700 album library with a 3 line display?
Great for playing ABBA, real pain for Zappa though...

Yes you can.... I do it everyday with my Slimdevices Transporter on its ONE LINE DISPLAY.

I have three main categories (blues/jazz/rock) which are actual sub-directories in the computer and then I can drill down by artist and then album (and track)

With 2-3 presses of the remote I can navigate to any album/song I have.... and  I have over 1000 cd's. And its actually faster than using the GUI.

I am with Anonamemouse on this... I will not consider the BDP-1 if I cant navigate my music from a built in display.

It  is up to me do decide if I use just the display or spend extra money and time on a GUI display... but by not offering the option the  BDP-1 will lose potential customers.

Maybe its a generational thing.... most younger people have never seen a non-gui interface/command line interface so having to use a device without a GUI is physically/mentally challenging?

I would like to say that it doesnt need any buttons on it.... the Transporter has a million of them and I never use them. sell the BDP-1 with a display that you can use for navigation, no buttons and two remotes.

Peter

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #12 on: 3 May 2010, 08:40 pm »
I'm staying away anything Apple, thank you.

Nap the Luddite

Same here.

srb

« Reply #13 on: 3 May 2010, 08:50 pm »
The Bryston BCD-1 CD player and BDA-1 DAC both had widespread appeal, and many were bought by people who did not have other Bryston components.

With no integrated interface or digital output other than AES/EBU on the BDP-1 Digital Player at it's price point (even though it may be an elegant and fine sounding component), it will probably not have the widespread appeal of the aforementioned CD player and DAC.  I think its primary appeal will be to diehard Bryston fans who are eager to add a new Bryston faceplate to their Bryston collection.

This is pure speculation, and the sales numbers after product release will prove or disprove that.

Steve

Napalm

« Reply #14 on: 3 May 2010, 08:57 pm »
[...]
Maybe its a generational thing.... most younger people have never seen a non-gui interface/command line interface so having to use a device without a GUI is physically/mentally challenging?

I would like to say that it doesnt need any buttons on it.... the Transporter has a million of them and I never use them. sell the BDP-1 with a display, no buttons and two remotes.
[...]

No GUI is fine. But command line.... I really don't want to type "mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/exthdd", without a keyboard it might prove tedious.  :lol:

I vote for buttons and display on the front panel and you use your existing BR2. Text display is enough I don't need stamp sized album art.

Nap.  :thumb:

Napalm

« Reply #15 on: 3 May 2010, 09:00 pm »
The Bryston BCD-1 CD player and BDA-1 DAC both had widespread appeal, and many were bought by people who did not have other Bryston components.

With no integrated interface or digital output other than AES/EBU on the BDP-1 Digital Player at it's price point (even though it may be an elegant and fine sounding component), it will probably not have the widespread appeal of the aforementioned CD player and DAC.  I think its primary appeal will be to diehard Bryston fans who are eager to add a new Bryston faceplate to their Bryston collection.

This is pure speculation, and the sales numbers after product release will prove or disprove that.

Steve

I also vote for having a secondary (non-optimized for BDA-1) coax or optical output for people who would prefer to stick it into a non-Bryston DAC or .... shock and horror....  HT receiver.

Nap.

ricko01

« Reply #16 on: 3 May 2010, 09:00 pm »

Steve

Perfectly stated...

My philosophy is I dont want a general purpose computer in my listening room nor any device that contains a hard drive.

The best out there, working within this philosophy, is the Slimdevices Transporter.

So the BDP-1 is on the right track here but it needs to match the Transporter in functionality before its a winner.

You are correct... the limited outputs plus the lack of inbuilt navigation makes it a die hard only product.

Peter

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #17 on: 3 May 2010, 09:08 pm »
We have decided to offer both an AES-EBU out and a BNC out.

james

ricko01

« Reply #18 on: 3 May 2010, 09:34 pm »

james

With a bit more badgering I think we can make James "crack" even more and include music browsing from its display  :D

If that happens, stick BDP-1 serial # 0001 next to my name!!!

Peter

brucek

« Reply #19 on: 3 May 2010, 10:06 pm »

james

But you haven't indicated the protocol that the BNC will carry - unbalanced AES/EBU or S/PDIF?

brucek